Stations to Listen to in Sacramento?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbcue

What are the busy channels to listen to on the Sacramento Regional Radio Communications System (Public Safety) system?

Which ones have lots of traffic?

I'm listening to City Police, and City Fire only... It's pretty busy as is..

cousinkix1953

I would certainly search those CHP frequencies on 39 and 42 mhz if you have a good outdoor antenna (most hams do). They're busy almost 24 hours of the day down here in a much less populated area. There is plenty of traffic using I-5, I-80, US 50 and highway 99 going through the state capitol area.

Our corrupt rulers even have their own private conventional repeater licensed to the Assembly Rules Committee! Be sure to program their PL tones when you find the politicians; because 856.2625 mhz is shared with Folsom Prison's Motorola trunked system using a different tone.

I'll bet that you can hear several of the county sheriff's departments in the valley too. We used to hear the Stockton SO all night long; when fishing on my OM's boat in the Delta. The CLERS APBs were just a few Khz down the band; so I heard them on 154.71 mhz too. That one is still active even after everything went to UHF and 800 mhz trunked systems. You are likely to hear information about serious crimes committed anywhere in the state long before it's on the TV news. On the Friday night / Saturday morning graveyard shift, there are statewide check ins from most of the county sheriffs and dozens of city police departments. It reminds me of a big net on the ham bands.

I think that Contra Costa and Solano counties are still using VHF high band repeaters in the San Francisco Bay Area. Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Monterey county sheriff radios might be heard during troposphereic ducting conditions, when hot and cold weather conditions collide. Hello skipland...

RolnCode3

Well now that the "corrupt rulers" post is out of the way, the busiest are going to be:

Sheriff Ch 1,2,3 and 4
City PD 1,3,4, and 6
Citrus Heights 1
Elk Grove 1
Fire A2/A3 and B2

Other have a lot of traffic, but won't be interesting. Those are SD 5 (records) and chit-chat channels such as City PD Ch 2 & 5.

Folsom is pretty quiet, generally. Lots of vehicle stops, but that's usually it. Maybe a fight as the bars let out.
Grant is probably a little busier now that they've expanded their facilities.
West Sac is often good for a listen. They often have something happening.

Last edited:

Scanman6

Sac channels

I like to listen to 132.125 Metro Air to Air, Media channels (around news time and for breakers) and local av channels. When the law helos are up they'll talk to each other and call positions. Most folks doin't like the aviation stuff as you hear mostly takofs and landings and vectors, but when things are hopping, the arial stuff helps to fill in the gaps.

Last edited:

Gbcue

I like to listen to 132.125 Metro Air to Air, Media channels (around news time and for breakers) and local av channels. When the law helos are up they'll talk to each other and call positions. Most folks doin't like the aviation stuff as you hear mostly takofs and landings and vectors, but when things are hopping, the arial stuff helps to fill in the gaps.

I've got to get this one in now!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento TRS only?

What are the busy channels to listen to on the Sacramento Regional Radio Communications System (Public Safety) system?
Are you truly only interested in "channels" on the Sacramento TRS, or do you want to know conventional frequencies as well? I see that several people replied with conventional, and not what you asked for.

What I did was run UniTrunker for weeks and logged what was going over the TRS. Then I selected channels based on that analysis. RolnCode3's post is very accurate, as the best TGs are what he listed if you are looking for QUANTITY of radio traffic. But what is fun to listen to does not typically happen on the TGs with the most traffic.

Regarding conventional frequencies; yup there are 100s which can be received from here with a decent antenna. Quite frankly there is too much to listen to. During the day I limit what I monitor so I can keep track of it all. But at night when things get quiet (if they do), then I enable a much broader listening range.

cousinkix1953

Status
Not open for further replies.