• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Status of 10-119. Public fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantian

I read some comments here that suggest that the changes to GMRS Rules, including delicensing, are dead, or were resolved by lowering the GMRS license fees, or were only "asked" and not "proposed". All of which is in error as other forum members have pointed out, or should have.

The lowering of the fee was on a separate track, for years, and involves a different part of the FCC than the GMRS Rules. The rule changes were proposed by the FCC on its own motion. And the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is not only not dead, a final Report & Order was placed on the full Commission's to-do list on August 25, 2016.

This is public fact which you can see here: FCC Items on Circulation

Search that page for "Part 95". It is the list of decisions packaged up and ready for the full Commission -- that means the Presidential appointees at the top of the agency -- to place their final signature on and become law of the land.

Yes that is a long list. And the change of administration, the naming of new FCC Chairman, departure of some Commissioners and all is delaying matters at FCC. But it is a long journey for an item to get on that list. The changes to GMRS are now on it. This is why the GMRS and FRS manufacturers heated up their lobbying efforts over the last few months. Their $300/hr lawyers know what's going down.

It may or may not mean kissing your GMRS license and/or repeater goodbye, or allowing business entities and large organizations to get GMRS licenses once again, or other stupid developments. Or the FCC may realize they stepped on the wrong track and will conclude by doing nothing or making unimportant changes. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Some interesting reading there.

Uniden is trying to screw the licensed GMRS community.
As usual, Motorola is looking after #1.
If you want to have a good laugh, read this one: https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filing/10912025720068
-I feel bad for the poor lady, but she's obviously VERY confused.

Then I got tired of reading them.
As usual, there are a few that think amateur radio licensees should be allowed to use GMRS as an extension of the amateur radio bands.

lucky43113

If you want to have a good laugh, read this one: https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filing/10912025720068

As usual, there are a few that think amateur radio licensees should be allowed to use GMRS as an extension of the amateur radio bands.

there was a story out a while ago about the teen girl who was allergic to wifi who committed suicide..The lady on the fcc web site is confused if it was that bad on her how did she use the computer to type all of that?

RFI-EMI-GUY

She could move a few miles over to the National Radio Quiet Zone. But she may have to give up her cable news.

Actually she lives smack dab in the middle. Whats she complaining about?

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

I read some comments here that suggest that the changes to GMRS Rules, including delicensing, are dead, or were resolved by lowering the GMRS license fees, or were only "asked" and not "proposed". All of which is in error as other forum members have pointed out, or should have.

The lowering of the fee was on a separate track, for years, and involves a different part of the FCC than the GMRS Rules. The rule changes were proposed by the FCC on its own motion. And the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is not only not dead, a final Report & Order was placed on the full Commission's to-do list on August 25, 2016.

This is public fact which you can see here: FCC Items on Circulation

Search that page for "Part 95". It is the list of decisions packaged up and ready for the full Commission -- that means the Presidential appointees at the top of the agency -- to place their final signature on and become law of the land.

Yes that is a long list. And the change of administration, the naming of new FCC Chairman, departure of some Commissioners and all is delaying matters at FCC. But it is a long journey for an item to get on that list. The changes to GMRS are now on it. This is why the GMRS and FRS manufacturers heated up their lobbying efforts over the last few months. Their $300/hr lawyers know what's going down.

It may or may not mean kissing your GMRS license and/or repeater goodbye, or allowing business entities and large organizations to get GMRS licenses once again, or other stupid developments. Or the FCC may realize they stepped on the wrong track and will conclude by doing nothing or making unimportant changes. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the update. There was a very good turnout of comments during that NPRM. And yes Uniden is up to some tricks. Unfortunately a lot of the folks on this board seem to be "meh" on GMRS and disinterested in preserving the only high power mobile repeater service that is not controlled by corporate interests.

myGMRS had a survey with over 390 licensee replies this week. I mention it and the only reply was from some smart *** from canada like he should have any interest in US GMRS.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I wish more folks "got it". But it seems these days the only things that matter to most folks, - they pay way too much for.

Hans13

IMHO, that would sour GMRS. Class D CB has its general feel. Amateur has its feel. And GMRS has its feel. If I want a free-for-all, CB is where you will find me. If I'm in the mood for something a little more orderly and where people know what is expected of them, you will find me on amateur bands. When I just want laid back, everyday radio, you will find me on GMRS.

Of course, those same amateurs have no problem with anyone with a GMRS license being allowed to use amateur bands, right? ;)

Hans13

myGMRS had a survey with over 390 licensee replies this week. I mention it and the only reply was from some smart *** from canada like he should have any interest in US GMRS.

Please post a link to the survey or send it to me in PM. When you first posted about it, I couldn't find it on MyGMRS. I am a registered user there.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I cant find a link. It seemed to me the survey popped up when first accessing the site, now its gone, I posted a request for the link and an update. I will let you know.

12dbsinad

I cant find a link. It seemed to me the survey popped up when first accessing the site, now its gone, I posted a request for the link and an update. I will let you know.

Yeah, I've been looking as well since your first post about it. Negative find. I would add to this.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update. There was a very good turnout of comments during that NPRM. And yes Uniden is up to some tricks. Unfortunately a lot of the folks on this board seem to be "meh" on GMRS and disinterested in preserving the only high power mobile repeater service that is not controlled by corporate interests.

Don't forget the smart *** Canadians use GMRS as well. And where is the survey?

n1das

Ouch, my head hurts after trying to read some of those comments.

I suspect that when the FCC makes GMRS license by rule and a bubble pack only service, the rules will more or less mirror Canada's rules.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ouch, my head hurts after trying to read some of those comments.

I've got a flyer I picked up once that was put out by a self appointed "safety watchdog" group when the local electric/gas utility was rolling out smart meters. It's similarly worded. I framed it and keep it on the wall of my office as a general reminder about how the uneducated public views radio waves.
A few years before that, we were rolling out a outdoor distributed antenna system at work for the cell carriers. We had to do public meetings. We had a lady show up that was 100% whackjob crazy. She was complaining about all the psychosomatic-self diagnosed-hypocondriac issues she had, how awful it was being her and how everyone in the world needed to get rid of radio waves to fix it. She had this little cheap box with a meter on it. It was supposed to tell her when she was getting attacked by the evil RF radiation. My co-worker and I were sitting directly behind her and our manager was running the meeting. I reached over behind my co-worker and keyed up his 800MHz radio. The lady's box beeped, she jumped up out of her seat and started yelling how it was happening again.
Anyway, every few minutes I'd do it just to keep her on her toes. I'm probably going to hell for it.
After a few times, our manager kind of looked at us and just shook his head. We grinned and went back to being good little boys.

lucky43113

I've got a flyer I picked up once that was put out by a self appointed "safety watchdog" group when the local electric/gas utility was rolling out smart meters. It's similarly worded. I framed it and keep it on the wall of my office as a general reminder about how the uneducated public views radio waves.
A few years before that, we were rolling out a outdoor distributed antenna system at work for the cell carriers. We had to do public meetings. We had a lady show up that was 100% whackjob crazy. She was complaining about all the psychosomatic-self diagnosed-hypocondriac issues she had, how awful it was being her and how everyone in the world needed to get rid of radio waves to fix it. She had this little cheap box with a meter on it. It was supposed to tell her when she was getting attacked by the evil RF radiation. My co-worker and I were sitting directly behind her and our manager was running the meeting. I reached over behind my co-worker and keyed up his 800MHz radio. The lady's box beeped, she jumped up out of her seat and started yelling how it was happening again.
Anyway, every few minutes I'd do it just to keep her on her toes. I'm probably going to hell for it.
After a few times, our manager kind of looked at us and just shook his head. We grinned and went back to being good little boys.

i guess radio waves could affect some people but i would think thats very rare these people like the fcc link lady has no idea how often she is exposed to them only when she is aware of it does she feel "sick" its in there head i would say

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
lady has no idea how often she is exposed to them only when she is aware of it does she feel "sick" its in there head i would say

Exactly. I actually had a halfway intelligent conversation with a lady that was scared of her smart meter.
She had bought some cheesy meter device that was supposed to indicate how much "radiation" she was getting. She said it was going nuts near her electric meter. Took a while to explain it all to her, but I think when I was done she understood how foolish it all was.
Seems like most of the smart meter fears have blown over here.

Back on topic;
Hoping FCC does something soon. Considering there seems to be overwhelming support to keep it as it is, with maybe some minor changes, I'm hoping they listen.
Seems like, other than a few whack-jobs, Uniden is the only one trying to screw up GMRS.

Hans13

ROTFL!

Save a seat for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.