Status of IIMARS new digital trunk radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

NORCAL

It has been some time since I looked at the Idaho RR forum. I was surprised to learn that Idaho is switching over to a new digital trunk radio system called the Idaho Interoperable Mutual Aid Radio System (here after referred to as IIMARS). Having experienced the transition of Nevada’s transition to a new system (a non P25 standard system) which began around 2000 and is still being rollout across the state, I was curious about the progress of Idaho’s IIMARS system. Are the frequencies listed in RR Data Base accurate and up-to-date? In Nevada, frequencies are still being changed during the final tuning phases as thing are completed. During the early stages of implementation in Nevada, it was almost impossible to monitor anything because the technicians kept changing frequency settings to accommodate for interference problems as well as coverage issues. I will be traveling through Idaho in the fall on business and would like to monitor this system if it active. Are State Highway Patrol units using this new system, or are they still on the conventional frequencies (i.e.: 460.xxxx)? Before I forget, is this system based on EDACS trunk system technology.

If the State Hwy Patrols units are not using this system, are the conventional frequencies in the RR Date Base up-to-date and accurate? I hope to hear from someone who has some news regarding the successful deployment of this new system

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
The system implementation is proceeding, although slowly, and is operational in Ada(Boise area), Bannock(Pocatello area) and Bingham(Blackfoot area) Counties, but it is not statewide yet. I believe all frequencies listed in the RR database are correct and the talkgroups are pretty well up to date. I am sure about the eastern part of the state and fairly sure about the Boise area.

State police are still on the old 460.xxx frequencies and the RR database is up to date as far as I know. The ISP units are patched into the IIMARS in emergency or interoperability situations(at least is the eastern part of the state), but are then in a multicast mode on both the 460 and 700 systems.

I believe all IIMARS fire activity is multicast on vhf/uhf.

IIMARS is P25 based, not EDACS.

There is still much activity on vhf/uhf and I believe the data in the RR database is pretty accurate for the more populated areas of the state. By the fall time frame there might be more additions in the eastern part of the state.

It pretty much depends on which part of the state you will be in as to whether you can monitor the system.

Dave

NORCAL

IIMARS follow-up question

Dave,

Thanks for the status on the IIMARS system. You mentioned that the IIMARS is a P 25 system, not an EDACS trunk system using the P 25 technology. I use an Uniden BCD 996T Trunk scanner equipped with the P-25 card. When I program a trunk system, the menu choices are Motorola trunking, EDACS trunking, or LTR trunking. I understand that the IIMARS trunk system is based on the P 25 digital standard. But I thought one of the above trunking systems could also support a P 25 digital system. Looking at the RR data base, I see the frequencies listed for Pocatella are: 764.08125, 764.60625, 765.30625, 766.10625, 766.75625, 773.58125, 774.18125, 774.88125, and 775.48125. How are these frequencies loaded and the type of trunk system that you use on your scanner? Is there a particular “order” similar to an EDACS trunking system that these frequencies must be entered to properly receive the trunk transmission? You insight is appreciated.

NORCAL

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
NORCAL,
I also have a 996 and it works fine on the system.
Here are my settings, using ARC996 Software.

All you need to enter are the control channel frequencies for each site. The order doesn't matter. (You can also enter all the frequencies for each site if you want).
System Type is Motorola Type 2/P25 (APCO25)
Modulation = NFM
ID Search Mode = On
Icall = off
End code = Ignore
No status bit
Site hold time = 0

I program each site separately with a Quickkey setup for each site. This seems to work better than putting all the control channels under one site, although this method should work too.
Are you using software to program your 996?

Dave

Last edited:

NORCAL

IIMARS Configuration Settings

Dave,

Thanks for the info on 996 configuration settings. This will be extremely helpful when I go to program my 996. To answer your question regarding using software to program the 996, I do not presently use ARC996 software. I probably should because the manual loading process is very tedious to say the least. Do you use the Basic or Pro version of the ARC 996? Also, what Microsoft operating system are you using --- XP or Vista? The Vista still appears to be a little “questionable.” When I downloaded the ARC996 operator’s manual off the Scanner Master web site, it shows a Beta version 0.89BETA. Is there any reason for a Beta version of the ARC996 at this time?

I’ve been investigating another company that provides similar programming software for the BCD-996T. The company’s name is Signal Intelligence, Inc. Their web is listed below. The product is called TrunkStar Elite and TrunckStar Elite Pro.
http://www.scanstar.com/pricelist.htm

I’m still evaluating this software. If you have good experience with the ARC996, please let me know.

NORCAL

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
NORCAL,
I've used ARC996 Pro ever since I got my 996 which is about 2 years now. No problems with the software. I find it very easy and intuitive to use, although some people seem to have problems with it. The ARC996 software works fine on both my XP and Vista machines, although I mostly use it on my XP machine. ARC996 is not Beta anymore. Check the Butel website directly. www.butel.nl

I've never tried the Trunkstar software for the 996, but I have used Trunkstar XLT for my BC 780, I found Trunkstar XLT somewhat cumbersome to use.

There is also free software called bcTool for the 996 at www.bcTool.org which you might want to take a look at. As I remember when I tried it a while ago, it seemed like a pretty good program, and I'm sure it's been updated since then. There is also a yahoo bcTool group. Uniden also has free software that works OK.

You also might look at the RR scanning software forum.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Dave

Last edited:

NORCAL

IIMARS Wrap-up

Dave,

Again, many thanks for your help and advice. I did order the ARC996 software. I may open another thread if I need help with it. It does appear to be pretty straight forward with programming.

When I get closer to the time of my trip through Idaho, I will will open another thread for any updates to the IIMARS syste. I hope to hear from you then.

NORCAL

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
NORCAL,
Check the Idaho IIMARS page periodically. I usually input updates pretty quickly if there are any significant changes in the eastern side of the state.
Dave

tfgeocacher

NORCAL:

I can verify that the frequencies for Idaho in the south central area (Twin Falls, Jerome, Gooding, Lincoln , etc. etc.) is using the same frequencies as you find on the RR pages.

Once a month or so, I travel to the Boise area. Ada Sheriff is using the 700 MHz for tactical communications and I understand it is usually scrambled. The SO also dispatches EMS for the county, which pages on 155.055, then broadcasts on 700MHz. As you may already know, the 700Mhz doesn't allow for data, or paging services. Quite a waste if you ask me. Also, I understand the fire agencies in Ada County are all on the VHF frequencies as the 700MHz interferes with their Scott respirator packs.

Canyon County, Payette, Elmore, Idaho, Gem, Valley and Owyhee Counties are all the same as listed in the RR pages.

Bear Lake County in the Southeast is also the same. Sadly, I cannot access the 700MHz band even though my scanner (AOR8200MKIIB) is supposed to receive these frequencies. Something to do with the inability to receive digital communication, or my limited knowledge of the scanner.

Hope this helps for those areas.

TFG

commstar

Premium Subscriber
Shout out from the Panhandle: P25 control channel on 765.55625 here in Kootenai County just idling month-in, month-out with no traffic for months at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.