Status of MSP Aviation frequencies?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
According to this article:

The MSP AW139 are (or were originally) equipped with "Wulfberg RT5000, P25-compliant, digital transceivers from Prescott, Ariz.-based Cobham Aerospace Communications." The P25 capable P/Ns incorporate XTS3000 / 5000 modules. Not sure if they've been updated for TDMA / Phase 2, or new radios were / are necessary.

Here is an older thread:

C/RT-5000 manual from 2010 is attached.

Attachments

• User-s-Manual-1870768.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The radio units in most aircraft are basically XTS3000 RF units slaved to a control head. This includes MSPs new fleet. Yes, they are FDMA only.

Above is from a posting made in 2015. Note the reference to FDMA only.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, NDA's prohibit me from going in to more detail. If you are familiar with aircraft, FAA rules and the industry, the answers are easy to find

jwhite591

The Comunication Guy
Despite the fact the manual says "Confidential and propriety to Chelton Avionics, Inc." A lot of the information is available openly on the Internet from there Site as well as the Fcc's Site

Cobham_rt-5000_datasheet.pdf = https://www.cobham.com/media/1019239/cobham_rt-5000_datasheet.pdf
RT-5000P-12 29.7 to 960 MHz Tactical Airborne Transceiver User Manual REV Wulfsberg Electronics Division
Wulfsberg Electronics Division FCC ID Applications (FRW) = https://fccid.io/FRW
Project 25 Airborne FM- outdated – Technisonic Industries Ltd. = https://til.ca/project-25-airborne-fm/

As you can See there is plenty of information Out there.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I was looking through ProScan logs that recorded activity on VHF Helimed (47.66) in the Annapolis area at about 0100 on 4/12/22. Basic patient condition and ETE (9 mins) to Shock Trauma.

rberg001

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to get into scanning, and I wanted to make sure I'm not operating on outdated Information before I start looking at VHF low band antennas. The EMRC website and resources say that SYSCOM and MSP Aviation use 44.74 MHz and 47.66 MHz for comms and consults. Looking at the database I see entries for National Interoperability channels and FiRST talkgoups.

Does anyone know what frequencies are used for the functions initially meant for 44.74 MHz and 47.66 MHz? Have consults been encrypted and/or moved to a trunked system?

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am looking to get into scanning, and I wanted to make sure I'm not operating on outdated Information before I start looking at VHF low band antennas. The EMRC website and resources say that SYSCOM and MSP Aviation use 44.74 MHz and 47.66 MHz for comms and consults. Looking at the database I see entries for National Interoperability channels and FiRST talkgoups.
Does anyone know what frequencies are used for the functions initially meant for 44.74 MHz and 47.66 MHz? Have consults been encrypted and/or moved to a trunked system?
It would help to know your county. Many Maryland counties have EMRC talkgroups in their local systems.

LiftAssist

It would help to know your county. Many Maryland counties have EMRC talkgroups in their local systems.
They definitely didn't use it last time and it wouldn't make sense if they did, region 5 you can only hear your own agency, you can hear EMRC responding to units on different systems, but not the units themselves. (with the exception that at one point today EMRC seemed to accidentally patch a consult so that another system could hear it.) I'll keep checking to see if unitrunker logs the medevac RIDs that I've been able to find so far, or even anything similar. If they have switched or are planning to switch to having the consults directly through a trunked system, it will be almost certainly be through FIRST.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Note that when accessing MED channels on the UHF radios, comms are duplex and not repeated over UHF, the implication being you will not always hear the field units. Not sure how that works when a county is using their TRS tgs that parallel the MED channels to access EMRC, or if the UHF MED channels are simulcast over the 700 EMRC MED tgs.