Status of WyoLink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin4Wyo

Anyone have any idea where to find updated/current info regarding the progress on WyoLink? The website hasn't been updated in six months, and I'm curious as to whether I should hold off on an investment into a BCT15 due to needing to have a digital capable scanner sooner rather than later.

kd7gxu

Premium Subscriber
Wyolink

It works in the southeast part of the state. I have used it in Guernsey, Cheyenne and Laramie. I don't think there is anything to listen to on it yet because the main users like the Highway Patrol have not moved there yet. If I were you I would wait until there is a good sale on the new GRE scanners like the 500 or 600. I have an older pro96 and it works ok in Colorado but some of the towers are 700 mhz now and I can't track them.

Austin4Wyo

Bummer. No word on when one of those sales would be, eh? My stimulus check sure would be well spent on a new scanner (running a 14 year old BC80XLT has about driven me up the wall).

Ah well...I suppose a couple more paychecks and I should be able to swing a BCD996.

EDIT: Just as an aside, how long are we looking before we'll lose significant traffic on the conventional bands in individual communities? Seems that it's been a slow process so far, and now that the majority of towers are finished, I'm really rather interested in what the implementation timeline looks like.

Last edited:

kd7gxu

Premium Subscriber
new scanner

You might watch for a sale on the pro-97 or 2055. I hear you could get them on overstocked.com for like $80. They are not digital but they have PL and DPL and alpha tags which are very nice. Radio Shack has sales every now and then. I would expect that the 97 will get cheap because the new GRE replacement is out there.

kd7gxu

Premium Subscriber
analog

I think so. I have a pro 96, and unless I am in Colorado I hardly ever turn it on. I think the biggest feature that I use with a scanner is the CTCSS/DCS and text tags.

Austin4Wyo

Thanks, kd. You've been quite helpful.

I've got a helluva deal on a BCT15 working. The gentleman (a guy from this site) is throwing in software, an outside ground plane antenna and cable, and UPS shipping for $230.

akuter

Premium Subscriber
Nice work Austin I use a BCT15 and a Pro-96 + others. I've been itching for Montana and Wyoming to get there digital systems going, but they are taking their time to throw the switch, possabily waiting for rebanding(then we will need a GRE or above). The BCT15 w/software is the way to go for now. I can put the whole state of MT(less business) in one program and whole state of WY in another via software. I use ARC15, FreeScan, and bcTool. Good Luck. Sorry to take it off topic.

Last edited:

wirr

Database Admin
I think you'll be sorry if you don't put your money into a digital trunking scanner that can monitor Wyolink; if you can't afford it now, keep saving until you can.

Austin4Wyo

Yeah, well, won't be investing in a new machine at present anyway. Gotta put the money elsewhere right now.

In a couple months, maybe.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
FCC Approves Wyoming's Frequency Waivers

http://www.911dispatch.com/db/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1885&Itemid=1

The FCC has granted waivers to the state of Wyoming to use several pairs of frequencies in the 150 MHz band to construct a state-wide P-25 trunked radio system using digital technology. The system, dubbed WyoLink, will be used by local, state and federal agencies throughout the state for public safety and homeland security operations. The final system will include 80 transmitter sites, each using 7 channel pairs, all operating on 12.5 kHz channels offset in a particular way. In its waiver request, state officials said they identified several VHF Public Coast channel pairs that could be used, frequencies normally assigned to the maritime service.

Austin4Wyo

'mmmkay.

I appreciate the input regarding that, but that's not really telling us much regarding the implementation. I'm looking for a timetable here, considering that we have towers finished and ready to go around Laramie, but nothing seems to indicate it's actually happening.

millerfour

I'm looking for a timetable here

Today I ask a WHP about when they would go digital and he told me that they are being told that in a year they "should" have their in car computers and that they "should" go digital before that......... he is being honest with me -- my only question would be if the info he got is just wishful thinking on the part of the higher - ups .......

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
From what I have heard, as the system is built-out, they are inviting local and county agencies to join the system. Currently, they have three license applications pending before the FCC, to expand the system even further. They are as follows:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=4518333

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=4518327

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=4518355

These sites are new and should be constructed sometime before the end of the year.

WyoLink is also fully compatible with the Integrated Wireless Network ("IWN") envisioned for national Federal implementation, and the State recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (“MOU”) to accommodate interoperable communications with the Department of Interior. Wyoming also expects to enter similar agreements with other Federal authorities.

This means that the WyoLink TRS can and will support future radio channels in the 162.6000 - 174.0000 MHz range. Already the IWN TRS is under development in the Pacific Northwest, and is progressing in other areas as funding becomes available. Likewise, the neighboring state of Montana, is planning to do the same with their new P25 TRS.

As more local and county agencies join WyoLink, they can in-turn donate their old VHF repeater frequencies to the statewide network. This would help to alleviate any congestion issues should they arise. Moreover, any city or county can erect a simulcast system, which would use the same frequency pairs that would be transmitted from multiple sites in the same area. This would allow conservation of available RF spectrum.

73s

Ron

Last edited:

kdcarpen

Premium Subscriber
Wyolink

This site has a lot of info on wyolink
http://pscc.state.wy.us/c_minutes.html
Didn’t have time to read all but in the March 11th minutes it looks like getting FCC licenses is the delay. A list all the organization that have signed on so far is in the March 11th Attachment.

Shrike

WyoLink Status 7-31-08

Just received this email regarding WyoLink status:

"Since WyoLink is rapidly coming on line, I would like to keep you informed about our progress. This is the first in an ongoing series of information Email containing updates and WyoLink status that will affect your agency.

As of today, there are twenty one WyoLink sites up and functional. A few of these are operating at limited capacity, and will be undergoing additional work to bring them up to full capacity.

Four sites are active in Laramie County: 85 South, Russell Hill, North Albin and Whitcomb Hill.

Two sites are active in Platte County: Virgin Hill and Pine Ridge.

One site is active in Niobrara County: 77 Hill.

One site is active in Converse County: Morton Hill.

Three sites are active in Natrona County: Casper Mountain, Waltman Hill and Casper POE (very limited capacity pending acquisition of more frequencies).

Two sites are active in Albany County: Sherman Hill and Strouss Hill.

Four sites are active in Carbon County: Muddy Gap, Shirley Mountain, Nine Mile and Divide Hill.

One site is active in Sweetwater County: Aspen Mountain.

One site is active in Fremont County: Jade Mountain.

Two sites are active in Uinta County: Church Buttes and First Divide.

These twenty one active sites provide excellent coverage throughout Albany, Carbon, Goshen, Laramie, Natrona, Platte and Uinta Counties. In addition, coverage is excellent in the southern two thirds of Converse County, the south east portion of Fremont County, the southern half of Niobrara County and throughout Sweetwater County with the exception of some areas around Point of Rocks. "

Mike
Casper, WY

Status
Not open for further replies.