Stealth antenna for HOA?

jnojr

I'm pretty sure my HOA isn't going to sign off on an antenna. So looking for options. Something that can go in the attic? Something pretty low profile? An extendable/retractable mast? I had some ideas like a "flagpole" or in a tree, but that would require a good bit of trenching.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure my HOA isn't going to sign off on an antenna. So looking for options. Something that can go in the attic? Something pretty low profile? An extendable/retractable mast? I had some ideas like a "flagpole" or in a tree, but that would require a good bit of trenching.
A lot of HOAs don't allow flagpoles either or anything in the trees, I always like the idea of a nice flower pot with a bush or plant or flowers camouflaging a mini Discone.

If they give you a hard time about a hanging plant with a wire coming out of it, you can always pick the option that people do sometimes which is to tell the HOA to go pound sand haha. Good luck to you, attic antenna sounds great.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are option, but it depends what bands you are talking about. Is this for a regular scanner? Short wave radio? Something else?

If they give you a hard time about a hanging plant with a wire coming out of it, you can always pick the option that people do sometimes which is to tell the HOA to go pound sand haha. Good luck to you, attic antenna sounds great.

Sounds like B.S., but I don't think the HOA would know that. If they complain, just tell them you are trying to grow nice plants so the community is more beautiful.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sorry, GMRS

Simple solution would be a small GMRS base antenna on a pole. Stick the pole up when you want to use it, take it down when you are not. Since it's temporary, you might be able to circumvent the HOA rules.

Installing in the attic is an option, if you roofing material is not metal.

Disguising one as a sewer vent pipe on the roof is an option.

Or, if you build a small 1/4 wave ground plane out of some skinny brazing rod, its very likely no one would ever be able to see it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
No hassle with my HOA when they found out I was officially a spotter for our local storm spotters. Might work depending on your other inteneions.

pandel

Just be honest with your HOA. They aren't all bad. What's the worst that can happen, they say no? I live in a Townhouse and I've got a 24' Rhon tower in my back yard!
I simply explained that I was using my radio for community service with our local Sheriff's Dept. (and presented a letter from the director of communations) They wanted to know why I needed a tower and my response was so I could hit the repeater. I offered to put a smaller tower in the front yard but they denied that one. I understand not everyone has an affiliation with public safety or can document it. My point here is If you don't ask, your situation will remain the same, period. THEN you can begin to think about stealth options.
They were more than happy to approve my request with only a couple of restrictions. They required that the tower could not be seen above my roof line. I only wanted to bring my antenna above the roof line. Their last request was to require me to paint the antenna light blue so it "would blend in with the sky". I happily agreed to both requests. That was over 15 years ago and I haven't heard a peep since. In fact last year they approved a shiny new 145' longwire running from my house back into the woods. So far, not ONE person has even noticed it!
Here are a couple of options for you just in case....
As far as I know, an HOA can't stop you or shall approve satellite antennas or digital TV antennas. Mounting a small antenna similar to this Laird TE Connectivity FG4500 UHF GMRS 450-470 MHz Base Repeater Antenna on a pushup pole or the top of a satellite dish mount probably won't attract too much attention. Especially if you paint it light blue so it will "Blend in with the sky"(y)
Best of luck.

Wynn

The Laird is unity gain and much more visible than a small homebrew GP on an SO239. It would be virtually invisible and could be hidden behind vents on the roof. A 6” GP just goes away when sprayed black. It would also easily fit in any attic access. Of course with a unity gain antenna you won’t get much range. A GP adapter for a 5dB mobile antenna works well. My attic is full of antennas.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Put it in the middle of the roof and tell 'em it's a lightning rod. If they make you remove it, burn the house down and say it was lightning. That'll show 'em. :)

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
On GMRS, I'm guessing you're just trying to talk through some local repeaters? You probably don't need to push the performance envelope for that. A quarter-wave as suggested is tiny/near-invisible compared to your neighbors' DirecTV dishes and should work fine.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
A lot of HOAs don't allow flagpoles either or anything in the trees, I always like the idea of a nice flower pot with a bush or plant or flowers camouflaging a mini Discone.

I like the flower pot idea. Better yet, put a discone over a whiskey barrel planter and tell them it's a fancy new style tomato cage. Grow a tomato plant right under it, who cares!