Stealth Antenna, No Ground. How's My Plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDaze

try the 165 mhz dipole

I will do that!

How bout an NMO mobile mount on a small right angle bracket just inside the gutter

I seriously thought about that. It's a metal gutter, and the downspout opens right onto my patio. Perfect to hide the coax. But access is precarious to the gutter, and I'd attract more attention going after the thing all the time. I even thought of a Diamond motorized tilt mount. But it would be a hostile and sometimes wet environment.

Ventenna - had one, loved it on 2 meters 15 years ago. Problem will be getting feedline in. Still considering it.

Custom DPD antenna - limited to 148-400 MHz. I guess one would work if the 165 MHz dipole works, at a 3rd harmonic. It might "look" big up there though. I could email dave and see about it.

RadioDaze

Since a picture is worth a lot more words, here's an idea for a more semi-permanent "installation" - not as easy-up-down, but less conspicuous overall.

Attachments

• rdaze1.jpg
    rdaze1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 6,496
  • rdaze2.jpg
    rdaze2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 8,677

RadioDaze

Almost finished... just gotta paint it and shove it into the rain gutter.

Indoors, it does work. Not as good as the pure side-fed dipole with the 1/4" aluminum elements, but it works. I'm giving it a try with some RG-6U to save a few bucks over the LMR 240. With the elevation, it might be a winner. It might be good if it's not too "hot" of a signal catcher, since I plan to hook it up to my new PSR-500.

Funny how the $ adds up on these things. Esp. with the price of copper. Getting close to $50, but that's the cost of having hobbies.

When it's done, I'll post photos of during and completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.