• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Stealth antenna...

Status
Not open for further replies.

K6EEN

I'd like to be able to get more than a couple hundred yards, so I think I'll clamp something to the luggage rack.
MFJ Enterprises part #MFJ-342T or any "trucker style" mirror mount with a 3/8x24 threaded stud should work as a luggage rack mount. You'll just have to experiment with the grounding of the luggage rack to the car body. Maybe the existing bolts to the trunk lid will be enough, maybe you need ground straps, or capacitive coupling, or inductive coupling, etc.

I gave brief consideration to something like [this] or [this] but I think the body would need to be drilled out,
Probably. The first link is to a "gumdrop" style mount which needs a 5/8 inch hole and a lot of room around the hole for the gumdrop/dome; they're designed as roof mounts, not top of the fender mounts. The other antenna you link to is manufactured explicitly as a drop-in replacement for a Honda Goldwing motorcycle OEM FM broadcast antenna from the mid-1980s. It would probably never fit a Spitfire.

and then I'd need some sort of wedge-shaped spacer to get the angle right to get the antenna vertical.
Nah, you use something like a Workman C406 or ProComm JBC100 swivel mount to make the antenna vertical. Spin the mounting stud to get the right azimuth and tighten the stud, then the 180 deg. swivel extension gets you to vertical. So spinning the mounting stud gives you one axis of movement, the swivel adapter a second axis, then you can get to vertical on most vehicles with just these two axes of variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.