Stealth Scanner Antennas

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
An octogenarian friend of mine was forced, due to health reasons, to move into a senior condominium complex that has some highly restrictive HOAs. One of the restrictions is, "NO EXTERNAL ANTENNAS ALLOWED". He does however have a small private patio and wants to hook his HP2 up to a "stealth antenna". William does not have, "that newfangled Internet", so I offered to look for him, but there are so many to choose from. I don't want him to get a P.O.S. for an antenna, so I'm looking to the experts here to recommend one that you know will give him decent results. Suggestions? Thanks.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The wire version of this antenna is very inexpensive, easy to put together, and easily hidden from view - even when in the same room / area as the antenna. Hang it in a window behind a curtain or blind, or even better hang in corner of patio outside. (Scroll down the page below the copper pipe version to see the wire version) -
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
It would help a lot if you state what your friend wants to listen to.

He pretty much listens to everything from 145.00 MHz up into the 800Mhz range. Basically Amateur Radio chit chat, police, fire, ambulance, state patrol, you name it.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
The wire version of this antenna is very inexpensive, easy to put together, and easily hidden from view - even when in the same room / area as the antenna. Hang it in a window behind a curtain or blind, or even better hang in corner of patio outside. (Scroll down the page below the copper pipe version to see the wire version) -
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki

Thanks I'll file this away, not exactly stealthy but I might be able to run it down alongside his sliding door trim and paint it to match if nothing else turns up.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I'll file this away, not exactly stealthy but I might be able to run it down alongside his sliding door trim and paint it to match if nothing else turns up.
You must not have scrolled down the landing page for the OCFD to see the "wire only" version. The copper pipe version is at the top of the webpage and to see the wire / stealth version YOU NEED TO SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
He can always hang a flower pot with a sparse plant or flowers that can camouflage a mini discone or a VHF High, Uhf, 800 MHz ground plane.

Hopefully if there's any problem he can tell the HOA to go pound sand like so many others do.

If they really take action against him and hurt him in any way he should seek out local media for a nice colorful human interest story. "Lonely man denied his Hobby" with a picture of him and the lovely flower pot.😆

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Resized_PSX_20200721_104101.jpeg
Of course there's always the option of getting an inexpensive floor lamp at Walmart where there's a good selection and mounting a mini discone or a tri band ground plane near a window.

consys

Premium Subscriber
An octogenarian friend of mine was forced, due to health reasons, to move into a senior condominium complex that has some highly restrictive HOAs. One of the restrictions is, "NO EXTERNAL ANTENNAS ALLOWED". He does however have a small private patio and wants to hook his HP2 up to a "stealth antenna". William does not have, "that newfangled Internet", so I offered to look for him, but there are so many to choose from. I don't want him to get a P.O.S. for an antenna, so I'm looking to the experts here to recommend one that you know will give him decent results. Suggestions? Thanks.
One of the best broadband receive antennas I ever used was the aluminum window frame next to my desk in a group office. A short coax to an alligator clip. It went in my desk drawer when the bosses hung around. Before I got the window seat I used a file cabinet, worked but not as good. Everything is an antenna, some things better than others. You never know until you try.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend the COMPACTenna SCAN-III out on that balcony.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
A potted plant with a small vertical hidden along side a fake plant? Put a metal cookie sheet under the pot connected to the shield of the coax.

shopping

Last edited:

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
You must not have scrolled down the landing page for the OCFD to see the "wire only" version. The copper pipe version is at the top of the webpage and to see the wire / stealth version YOU NEED TO SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE.
This is one of the two I like. It's in his price range and easy to build. I'll show him this one.

I would recommend the COMPACTenna SCAN-III out on that balcony.
Sadly this is out of his price range, he spent almost everything he had on the condo and is now living off of his social security.

A potted plant with a small vertical hidden along side a fake plant? Put a metal cookie sheet under the pot connected to the shield of the coax.
I like this one too! It would be easy to hide an antenna in a fake plant like that. I'm going to show him this one too.

Thanks guys you've been a big help!

k4fv

I’ve found a good quality antenna connected directly to the scanner can work very well. I own the one referenced below. It is designed for VHF and UHF and gives good results on 800mhz.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I’ve found a good quality antenna connected directly to the scanner can work very well. I own the one referenced below. It is designed for VHF and UHF and gives good results on 800mhz.

You know I mentioned the SMA-W100RX to him because of the elbow and it would work on the side of his HP2. Apparently he does not like the idea of an antenna interfering with the lamp shade next to his chair or putting undue stress on the antenna connector. I offered to give him the antenna that came with my RTL-SDR, but he's adamant about an outdoor antenna. It's not like 1/4 inch of glass will make a difference, but what can you do.