• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Stealthy antenna & cable routing for a 2004 Grand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Is anybody aware of a cowl-mount broadcast antenna (non-motorized) for the Grand Marquis or Crown Vic? I'm trying to start with a fairly 'clean' look this time after having a minivan that was a busier radio platform. Haven't had much luck Googling.

Current game plan is a single 144/220/440 tribander on the trunk, and one external scanner antenna primarily for air band. My car has no external broadcast antenna, but I'm thinking that one in the normal right-front spot would serve most purposes for a scanner listening to air, rail & marine, while avoiding the 'two-way radio' look.

Any other scanners are functioning just fine inside with their stock rubber ducks. So...my primary questions:

1 - Is there a cowl-mount broadcast antenna that would fit my body? (would rather have this an a NMO on an L-bracket)
2 - What would be the most and least desirable places to pass cable thru the firewall. I plan to run a double-fused 10 gauge power cable with powerpole connectors, and whatever antenna I manage to put on the cowl.
3 - What's the most preferable way to route cable from the trunk into the car interior? I haven't found anything obvious so far, even after looking at where at least come cables seem to be running from the drivers side of the trunk.

I'm not that anxious to go digging under the floor right now, except where absolutely necessary. Not sure what kind of stuff might be under there. Should be able to route things fairly neatly under floor mats, and possibly with flexible plastic conduit.

But any advice appreciated from folks who've mastered the Grand Marquis or Crown Vic, which I'm thinking would be very similar.

(ironically, I had all kinds of radios in my Toyota minivan, mounted in a surplus Troy console taken out of--you guessed it--a Crown Vic!)

73/Allen (N4JRI)

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
A front fender mounted antenna would look out of place as the only year of Mercury that had an external antenna was the 2005 and it was on the passenger rear fender. To bring power in to the vehicle from the battery drill a hole next to where the factory harness comes in there is a flat spot just to the left of it and it exits just below the heater core and will go right up the fender liner to the battery. The easiest way to get wires from the trunk is to remove the back seat and run them over the rear wheel through the opening follow the factory harness.. Those are the simplest vehicles to work on as a 30 year upfitter

Last edited:

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Might be out-of-place in terms of MGMs or CVPI's but I'm thinking it'd look a lot less odd to the average Joe than some sort of 2-way or dedicated scanner antenna. Right now, I'm experimenting with an antenna on my rear shelf cut for 300 MHz, but the jury's still out in terms of performance.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Might be out-of-place in terms of MGMs or CVPI's but I'm thinking it'd look a lot less odd to the average Joe than some sort of 2-way or dedicated scanner antenna. Right now, I'm experimenting with an antenna on my rear shelf cut for 300 MHz, but the jury's still out in terms of performance.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
Your using an Am/FM style antenna.. no one for sure will give it a second look if you put it where the factory did in 2005

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
A front fender mounted antenna would look out of place as the only year of Mercury that had an external antenna was the 2005 and it was on the passenger rear fender. To bring power in to the vehicle from the battery drill a hole next to where the factory harness comes in there is a flat spot just to the left of it and it exits just below the heater core and will go right up the fender liner to the battery. The easiest way to get wires from the trunk is to remove the back seat and run them over the rear wheel through the opening follow the factory harness.. Those are the simplest vehicles to work on as a 30 year upfitter

I was hoping there might be an existing grommet, but have had no luck finding one. Will definitely check the spot under the heater core. Most of the internet seems to agree with that.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I was hoping there might be an existing grommet, but have had no luck finding one. Will definitely check the spot under the heater core. Most of the internet seems to agree with that.
Just to the left and down of the factory grommet on the passenger side. You will see the flat spot on the firewall.. You will have to cut away a little bit of the insulation to see the actual firewall. I upfit CVPI's for 12 years and occasionally work on them. That is the spot we used.

Status
Not open for further replies.