Stelco & maybe Dofasco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi.

Living in line of site of 'Smelco' (or whatever the new owners call Stelco now) here in Burlington so I figured I would load the system as found here into my '396:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4605

None of the control channels break the squelch. Would anyone here in the area monitor this system and if yes is the data base here accurate?

Does Dofasco have a radio system worth monitoring?

TIA & stay cool
Eric

jellotor

I monitored and submitted it a while ago, Eric. In fact, I believe I ran trunker on it , as well.

I originally came across the frequencies in an old list and punched in a few of them to listen in. Got a control channel, checked it on the TAFL and ran trunker to get the rest of the frequencies. I even had a few talkgroups tagged tentatively but something came up and I've never been back to working on it...and I'm not likely to in the near future as the trunker boxes are packed away for moving.

As for Dofasco, check the TAFL and you may come across some VHF and UHF frequencies in the 400 MHz range.

And as for 'good listening,' don't count on it. It's like any business system; no particular radio etiquette is used and everyone is named Ed, Jim or Bob.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Graeme:
I cant 'hear' the control channel.
That part I dont get ???

You moving?

PM me.

E

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi Matt.
Hows Texas treating you?

I am in direct line-of-sight pretty high up here in Burlington?
King & Plains.

Would that be too far?
E

mbstone99

Stelco

Hi Matt.
Hows Texas treating you?

I am in direct line-of-sight pretty high up here in Burlington?
King & Plains.

Would that be too far?
E

Ahh it's treating me well.. it's hot and humid as hell right now though. Blah! But hmm I guess if you have a good enough antenna you might be able to get it. I remember when I was driving between east Burlington to downtown Hamilton for work the only time I would hear this system is when I am coming around end of the harbour.

Matt

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hmm
I have a Diamond 77SMA, Prob not good enough even being 9 stories high.

We just had a Texas style heatwave, it would have felt like your new home

jellotor

Eric, if you want I have an 800 MHz yagi you could borrow and point in the general direction of Stelco. That might increase your chances of receiving the control channel.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Eric, if you want I have an 800 MHz yagi you could borrow and point in the general direction of Stelco. That might increase your chances of receiving the control channel.

Hi Graeme: Thank you for the generous offer.

As you mentioned it probably would not be worth it to try to monitor this system, I doubt I would get any listening pleasure out of it.
I guess the Yagi is designed for 800 meg. If you had an antenna for 'fleetnet' I would head on down to visit ya, I have troubles getting anything other than Hamilton's well.

As mentioned I use a Diamond 77SMA for day to day & this antenna for driving:
http://www.durhamradio.com/ks3sma-micro-magnet-mobile-scanner-antenna-with-sma-style-connector.html
Brantford & Cayuga come in maybe 2 bars in the right room while Mississauga, Toronto, the Falls and Fonthill & Guelph are hit and miss.

Last edited:

jellotor

I do have two antennas for Fleetnet, a 5/8 wave and a 1/4 wave. I've also got an NMO adapter. You're welcome to give it a try to see if it works for you.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Graeme:
Thats mighty nice of you.

Would they connect to a 396 with a SMA connection?
The one you got for me from Durham broke last year.

PM me when you are free.

E

mbstone99

Hmm
I have a Diamond 77SMA, Prob not good enough even being 9 stories high.

We just had a Texas style heatwave, it would have felt like your new home

LOL.. it's been getting in the mid 90's and humid as hell ever day for the past couple weeks here and just going to get worse too once July and August come around where it's in the 100's every day and humid as hell. I heard about heat wave ya'll had up there. My poor parents were not enjoying it as their A/C decided to quit just before the hot hit up there.

Matt

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Matt: Yes, our worst days here are probably like your average summer days.

I am sure you dont mind the winters though

Thanks for your help.

E

mbstone99

Matt: Yes, our worst days here are probably like your average summer days.

I am sure you dont mind the winters though

Thanks for your help.

E

The winters aren't too bad here to say the least. It can get down around 0C but for the most part it stays above the freezing mark. What I find funny is when we get a tiny but of snow the whole city shuts down. Not only that no one knows how to drive in that much snow. I can't help but to laugh every time that happens.

Matt

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
The winters aren't too bad here to say the least. It can get down around 0C but for the most part it stays above the freezing mark. What I find funny is when we get a tiny but of snow the whole city shuts down. Not only that no one knows how to drive in that much snow. I can't help but to laugh every time that happens.

Matt

Matt:
Was it much different when we get a cm of snow?

Lol

Enjoy Texas

E

Status
Not open for further replies.