STEP'n drunks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WK4U

Premium Subscriber
I listened to local PD Dec 31st (mostly STEP channels) for first time in years, but heard very little activity. That surprised me. Are drunks staying off the road!? Honestly I shut it off around 12:45 and went to sleep.

Which brings me to another question that I really don't know the answer. Perhaps a few on this forum would share. What time of the evening/early morning on New Years are we most likely to encounter a drunk driver? A friend of mine said he was headed home from a party in town right after midnight to avoid the drunks. His assumption is that they hit the road later. I'm not so sure, but don't know when it's the worst. He also said highways are always safer than the back roads. Again, I'm not so sure.

Those of you with police, fire or EMS experience, tell me what you think?

Tim

As an EMT most of the really bad calls that I've been on, on New Years, have been in the morning hours (between 6 and 9am). But there are still plenty after 2ish

I think it's because they think they're okay to drive simply because its now day time.

But that is just my experience. I'm sure others will tell you different.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
With the large publicity blitz about Don't Drink & Drive, a lot of people have designated drivers or they take cabs. Woodstock PD was giving FREE rides home to those who needed a ride.

KI4RDO

Silent Key
AAA was also towing cars home for free last night, regardless if you were a AAA costumer or not.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
CCPD zone 3 was pretty busy all night, as was Smyrna PD- they almost had crowd control issues with people flash mobbing for taxi rides on the Village Green around 0130.

Drunk patrols usually don't start until the bars close, which is anywhere from 0200-0400 depending on the club. Some places like Milo's stay open all night.
Runaround Sues is the dump of the city that keeps us in business, usually the drunk fights start around 0200. A steady stream of them keep us busy until around 0430 on Friday and Saturday nights. Good thing we're only two blocks away. (But you still get the $800-$1000 Metro ride!)

Status
Not open for further replies.