Stereo to two mono feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
I have one feed in particular that this post will relate to. I am running XTL-2500s for my feed. I can only scan 10 Talkgroups at a time. My one feed I would like to provide 14 Talkgroups. My question is can I run two seperate radios, one into the left channel and the other into the right channel and have them provide audio to the same feed? What are the pros and cons to this? I am running USB soundcards into a Dell PC.

Thanks,
Dave

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have one feed in particular that this post will relate to. I am running XTL-2500s for my feed. I can only scan 10 Talkgroups at a time. My one feed I would like to provide 14 Talkgroups. My question is can I run two seperate radios, one into the left channel and the other into the right channel and have them provide audio to the same feed? What are the pros and cons to this? I am running USB soundcards into a Dell PC.

Thanks,
Dave
Yes, you can send a stereo feed. The downside is having two transmissions at the same time can turn into a difficult to understand cacophony. (Especially when listening with a mono setup.)

RFI-EMI-GUY

Be sure to use audio isolation transformers when you connect to speaker output of each of your XTL radios, or any radios for that matter as most use BTL audio amplifiers . Otherwise you can damage the radios, or at best have awful distortion.

wgbecks

It sounds like your feeding TG's from a P25 Trunking System. Have you considered using op25? You'd have the ability feed as many TG's as need to properly represent your feed with the added benefit of being able to transmit alpha tags to identify each TG as it becomes active.

Yes, op25 does require Linux. but you can use anything from a Raspberry Pi to SFF PC setup with Ubuntu or a similar OS. I am using several Raspberry Pi's and a couple of Lenovo M93 Tiny SFF PC's. They all work great and deliver very good quality audio.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Be sure to use audio isolation transformers when you connect to speaker output of each of your XTL radios, or any radios for that matter as most use BTL audio amplifiers . Otherwise you can damage the radios, or at best have awful distortion.

I do run audio isolation transformers already so I'm good on that aspect.
Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.