Sterlington PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Anyone around the Monroe area? I've ID'd 53143 as their allocated TG on LWIN, however when I submitted it they were just talking on it and calling traffic stops. I've since hung around for 3 hours on 2 separate occasions monitoring both inputs and outputs for their old 800mhz freq and the new one licensed to them (that someone submitted to the database, hmm) and haven't even picked up a single keyup. It's driving me nuts.

I used to just hear the officers, now I'm hearing dispatch more and more but not every single time one of them says they're on a call. They are a small town but is growing rapidly (1000 new homes in a year) and they're annexing more and more of Ouachita Parish. Either they're not using the somewhat new license they applied for (460.125) and just have a part time dispatcher. Or they're using something else other than the UHF freq, old 800mhz freq, and LWIN for primary comms. It's not far but too far to monitor conventional constantly from my home.

Anyone have any legit info?

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Quick question, is your radio a phase 2 radio?

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
It's HomePatrol 2 from Uniden. Phase 2 capable. Our system (LWIN) is Phase 1 though. But when I go to MS I can pick up MSWIN which is Phase 2.

However it seams I just can't pick them up on conventional UHF. If that's even what else they're using.

Technoguy58

I submitted info that the 800mhz license is expired. I do not know if it is being used or not. The new UHF license I have heard some traffic on it (not much). I think it is being used as a kind of very local talk channel for the Sterlington officers. There are what looks to me to be UHF antennas on at least a few of their vehicles. Have you considered that maybe Sterlington PD is being dispatched by SO??
The small village (hah!!) that I live by is incorporated and has its own police dept but it is dispatched by the parish S.O.

Technoguy58

By the way, I've been thinking that TG 6550 is not DOC WADE but is actually DOC RAYBURN for awhile, so you may be correct about TG 6603. Been my experience to take existing info in database with a little bit of caution and check for accuracy through monitoring. Just me....

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
I submitted info that the 800mhz license is expired. I do not know if it is being used or not. The new UHF license I have heard some traffic on it (not much). I think it is being used as a kind of very local talk channel for the Sterlington officers. There are what looks to me to be UHF antennas on at least a few of their vehicles. Have you considered that maybe Sterlington PD is being dispatched by SO??
The small village (hah!!) that I live by is incorporated and has its own police dept but it is dispatched by the parish S.O.

As I'm typing, they're talking to "dispatch" on LWIN 53143. This is similar to what I've heard in the past. First no dispatcher, then dispatch just talking at random, now the dispatcher is actually sending officers on calls. Maybe they ditched their previous system and are "fully" on LWIN but literally don't talk that much.

It is a small town but they've always been on their own frequency for law enforcement. Even back in LTR days, OPSO would even dispatch units on calls and a deputy would say "that's Sterlington better get them out here", then their 800mhz freq would be active. The units have their own data computers so they can run plates on their own, at night it seems the units just inform the shift supervisor that they're out on a traffic stop. Maybe they have a part time dispatcher and at night they're on their own.

In contrast to my parish where 3 villages have their own "PD" but SO does indeed dispatch them on the main SO talkgroup, like you suggested. These villages may have 1-2 officers each; Sterlington has about 3 times that.

The radio system may have changed but I'm willing to bet the agency and setup has not. Sterlington has always been on their own channel along with Richwood (albet bigger). The thing that makes me question if the LWIN talkgroup is officially their primary method of communications is that "new" FCC license. Why would you get a new license for a new frequency if you weren't going to use it?

But that's like the entire state trying to get everyone on 1 system and some parishes getting their own, thus defeating the purpose. *cough De Soto cough*

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
By the way, I've been thinking that TG 6550 is not DOC WADE but is actually DOC RAYBURN for awhile, so you may be correct about TG 6603. Been my experience to take existing info in database with a little bit of caution and check for accuracy through monitoring. Just me....

No you are absolutely right. Since the existing info is inputted by users, it might not be 100% correct. I've noticed that throughout my local fav list and changed the names to reflect what they actually do. However, I've been putting more effort into finding new talk-groups then I have being picky with incorrect talk-group descriptions on the database.

That's one reason I'm hung up on Sterlington. I prefer not to submit data until it's 100% correct, but then I realize I don't understand if ill ever be 100% correct on how they use radios and on what system. Some are blatantly obvious, some take months of monitoring to figure out exactly who it is and what that channel is for.

I have the audio zipped for what I suspected was Wade but assumed 6550 was correct. It's 500kb but exceeds the limit on what I can upload to the forums. If you want, PM me your email and I'll send the folder of what was said on 6603 on two discovery sessions. See what you make of it. "Wade" does seem to be talking a lot.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Now they have a second talkgroup 53144. A Sterlington officer transmitted on it once asking another officer if he was going to a specific gas station. Then nothing and the same radio transmitted on the known ID 53143. Like he accidentally changed to it, realized it, and went back to the regular channel.

So now they have at least talkgroups on LWIN, a part time dispatcher during the day, and a UHF frequency that they don't seem to use. Very confusing.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
After two months of monitoring; I've decided that SPD's main dispatch TGID is 53143 with a part-time dispatcher. At night it seems they are on their own and attached is another TGID 53144 (car-to-car). After watching them talk, listening to them talk, and trying to monitor both UHF and old 800mhz frequencies every time I pass by (two times I sat for an hour and waited); I am convinced this is the situation and unless someone else hears something different locally, it's submitted. If someone hears something else locally (especially the VHF Conventional Frequency licensed to them), please issue corrections and post (or pm me so I know). Thanks a bunch!

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
I'm unable to get them on my tower. Here in St. Tammany Parish.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

So far they only broadcast on the 3 closest sites (Bastrop, Marion, Monroe). Much like how you can't hear any other local municipality away from it's home site(s) (normally). Since my last post I've learned that they have a dispatcher during the day, and are on their own at night. That is why it was so hard to discover what they were doing. During the day, talk is all official and serious; at night its just 2 officers without the dispatcher using it like a TAC channel but mostly talking nonsense and cracking jokes. They're equipped with MDTs so they seem to just call out traffic stops to the other officer so they both know where they other one is for safety.

No use of the UHF conventional freq since then either. I suspect it is a backup to the TRS. Just like how my local agencies and many others are keeping their old conventional systems active for that purpose. Sterlington's "old" system was a short range conventional 800mhz channel before rebanding so it was going to get replaced anyway I figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.