Steven Seagal Lawman

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonus1331

This one looks like a hoot.
I'm definitely "Tivoing" this one.
Nothing like an overweight, ageing B-list actor running around and out of breath to bring a smile to my day;-)

davemcfarland

segall

He was a reserve for east baton rouge too, until he was asked to give up his commision due to family disturbance calls..

that dang mayor for Nola was giving away badges before he died.. chin or whoever he was..

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
He was a reserve for east baton rouge too, until he was asked to give up his commision due to family disturbance calls..

that dang mayor for Nola was giving away badges before he died.. chin or whoever he was..
I didn't know about the EBR connection. I don't think NOLA (New Orleans for those of you who don't know) has anything to do with it. This is apparently the Jefferson Parish SO. Since I grew up in JP, this is going to be interesting to me and since Lindsay is also from the area (originally) I'm going to get his attention on this thread. I have already got the DVR programmed for it. BTW, that is Sheriff Lee, I think you were referring to and he also had nothing to do with New Orleans. :cool:

nexus

From what I've researched online....

20 years ago Steven Segal was in JP doing a movie, and while here Harry Lee asked if he would come out and teach some of his deputies some come-along/holding and disarming techniques. Sheriff Lee found out that Segal was POST certified (Peace Officers Standards and Training) through the Los Angeles. In other words Segal already had graduated through a certified academy in California. With that information Lee offered him a commission. Segal said he couldn't accept a full time position because of his acting career but agreed to take a commission on a reserve basis.

For the past 20 years now between movies and other things in his life Segal has returned to JP and would play deputy. Full commission with all of the responsibilities and arrest rights. And for 20 years he has gradually went up the chain of command. He's been their firearms instructor, and martial arts instructor for a number of years. I've read online that he was very visible during Katrina and was seen on a regular basis out on the street and spotted on TV during news coverage of the disaster.

And now he's come out in the open to A&E and agreed to do this show to give JPSO some aire time. I personally look forward to the show, and a lot of my co-workers at the police dept I work at are interested in seeing the show too.

I don't care what some people say, they say he's fat and out of breath, I'm sorry but Segal is not a man you want to go up against because Akido is one of the most demanding forms of martial arts and anyone who is as high ranking in it as he is not someone you want to mess with.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The only thing that has to do with NOLA is the part of NOLA that is IN JP.. :) And yes Akido is a bad boy. The Japanese twin of my preferred school of martial arts.. Hapkido, the Korean twin! Its all about "one touch, one kill" as some call it... Pressure points, joint locks, power punching, and kicking.. Its not the flashy fast lets punch and kick all day style of fighting. Its all about harmony and power... Hit hard end fight fast. Hapkido and Akido are the preferred martial arts for LEA, Military, and security training. Especially because of the joint locks and pressure points. Deputy Segal is not one to mess with hand to hand or in a fire fight. I'd go up against the Arnold any day before I would mess with Segal. I know what a person trained in either akido or hapkido is capable of.
For references- My instructor David Higgs, multiple belts in multiple forms, his instructor Master J. R. West, founder of Westkido, formerly member of World Han Mu Do, his instructor Grand Master Dr. He Young Kim, founder of World Han Mu Do.

Last edited by a moderator:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The only thing that has to do with NOLA is the part of NOLA that is IN JP.. :) ...
Um, where would that be? I know of no portion of New Orleans that is not in Orleans Parish. Part of the Crescent City Connection (the bridge across the Mississippi River) goes across Jefferson Parish, but it lands in Orleans Parish on both sides.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Sorry it took me a little bit to put in my opinion, came down with flu-like symptoms and have not been very active.

I had both shows on the DVR and watched them yesterday, to be frank, I didn't think much of them. I think they need to concentrate a bit more on day to day patrol action and a bit less on trying to help a captain to learn to shoot (after all he is a captain and has been qualifying for years without being filmed). One thing I noticed, and confirmed with "back home" folks, is Seagal spends most of his time on the West Bank, so unless he crosses the river and works the other side any, I will never see any of my old stomping grounds on this show. All in all, I think that this show will continue to be on the air as long as Seagal is willing to pump money into it.

Hooligan

I think the show isn't going to make it past a second season, but it will initially be popular for novelty reasons.

With Seagal as the 'executive producer,' I guess we're stuck with those cheesy, slow-motion reviews of suspicious activity highlighted so that we mortals can see what Obi-Wan Seagull, with his Eagle vision, spotted (but of course, his partners did not...) as he's being chauffered around the ghettos of Jefferson Parish in his two-car posse/caravan.

Do you think we'll ever see footage of him actually running after a young buck, or even running after an old guy? Hopefully we'll be treated to plenty of scenes of him calmly using his Aikido to beat the hell out of some deserving thug, since other police 'reality' shows certainly show cops going hands-on & fighting. In the first two episodes, we've just seen Chief Seagal walking up & taking verbal command after a suspect is already in the process of being detained.

I'm not trying to knock the guy -- he's a (Reserve) Chief & he's almost 60 years old -- smart to let the younger, junior officers expend all the energy doing operational police work & he can use his Aikido & pistol mastery to educate them, however, this show is already too much like his rather lame movies were.

On a positive note, I met him geez, many, many moons ago now, when he was a distinguished visitor at Hurlburt Field & got to see some live-fire training & close-quarters combat demonstrations. He was married to Kelly LeBrock at the time and he was pretty laid-back in talking with us about what she was like, plus he did an Aikido demo & shot a couple dozen rounds from a variety of weapons. I recall him saying he had a pistol range at one of his homes & would generally go through about 1000 rounds a day practicing. He was a great shot with a pistol but slipped a lot once stress was added & wasn't too hot with an MP-5 or CAR-15.

I'll keep Tivo'ing his shows but for me they're a low priority, and I'll watch them for I guess part of the same reason I always take a quick look as I'm driving by a traffic wreck...

kd5pck

For those who care, Dan Ackroid (sp?) is a reserve officer with the Harahan PD. Will we see his story on A&E as well? And I'm with Lou, what part of New Orleans is in Jefferson Parish??? Oh I forgot... New Orleans International Airport...LOL.

jrm5265

Lawman

well the show has been the source of alot of humor in our unit, we all watched it and it reminds me of our CSU (Crime Suppression Unit) riding aornd in uniform in rough areas looking for things to get out on. If your in law enforcement and watch it closely you ill see that theyr call-jumping theyr monitoring radio for things they are close too and they go to it etc. Recently they got out with some guys that were "sitting in a car drinking" they took a "95G" which is apparently JP's radio code got a gun because they were all saying "95G" anyway they put the gun on the roof of the car not 3 feet from the guy he had taken it from?

I do enjoy hearing the Lousiana accents from those guys, in one episode when they rolled up on the car-jacking suspect guy he was on the ground and appeared detained and Seagal runs up and tries to take over ...that was pretty bad.

All those guys riding with them are reserves officers thats why theyve all got rank and riding around with him. I wonder if Seagal bought the SUVs or if A&E provides them also it appears that they are talking strictly to theyr group apparently the reserve has its on TAC chan.

I figure its only a matter of time before Saturday Night Live does spoof on it......

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
well the show has been the source of alot of humor in our unit, we all watched it and it reminds me of our CSU (Crime Suppression Unit) riding aornd in uniform in rough areas looking for things to get out on. If your in law enforcement and watch it closely you ill see that theyr call-jumping theyr monitoring radio for things they are close too and they go to it etc. Recently they got out with some guys that were "sitting in a car drinking" they took a "95G" which is apparently JP's radio code got a gun because they were all saying "95G" anyway they put the gun on the roof of the car not 3 feet from the guy he had taken it from?

I do enjoy hearing the Lousiana accents from those guys, in one episode when they rolled up on the car-jacking suspect guy he was on the ground and appeared detained and Seagal runs up and tries to take over ...that was pretty bad.

All those guys riding with them are reserves officers thats why theyve all got rank and riding around with him. I wonder if Seagal bought the SUVs or if A&E provides them also it appears that they are talking strictly to theyr group apparently the reserve has its on TAC chan.

I figure its only a matter of time before Saturday Night Live does spoof on it......
For those of you not from LA the codes they are using like 95G or 107 are all based on to the revised LA State Statutes. 95 deals with weapons, the G means gun of course. 107 is a suspicious person, 62 is a theft, etc. As for the folks riding around with him, I don't know about everyone but both John Fortunato and Alex Norman are both active and commanders of the Public Relations and Community Relations (respectively) divisions. As for the vehicles, I don't know, but I did note that one of them (at least on the first show) had no plates on it.

kevins669

Database Admin
As Lou stated, many of the deputies seen with Seagal are PIO, such as Fortunato and Dyess. From the limited clips I have glanced at, no reserves seen at all. Those deputies are rank, and are definitely not reserves. Though Johnny F. is a PIO, he routinely has prominent roles in strategic operations, such as this show, hurricanes, and such. The guy has been there forever.

And no, those vehicles were probably not bought by A&E for the show. JPSO has a huge variety of vehicles in the fleet, including some massive high water vehicles I saw roaming the flooded streets on Saturday. Regarding the reserve "tac" channel, yes, the reserves have their own talkgroup, but as stated, they are not reserves. Who knows what talkgroup they were using; they have a boatload of them. Probably Special-2 or 3, who knows.

This is another case of JP marketing themselves in a way that will attract lateral hires to the department, with the other example being the show "Rookies." As in that show, specifics and activities must not be taken literally, though. Remember, it is a t.v. show, and it should be regarded as such. Either way, great to have JP out there; great press, and good for recruiting.

-- Kevin

Hooligan

In watching one of last week's episodes on my Tivo yesterday, I got a chuckle out of Seagal referring to the discovered .44 Magnum revolver as a "pistol." So much for his weapons expertise...

Colonel Fortunado is listed in the credits as a "Technical Consultant" or something like that, which I assume means that he is paid by the show's company.

All-in-all, I'm starting to think this show reflects poorly on LPSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.