Stick with what I know or change ?.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

fires999

Morning from chilly England ,
More advice as always please !!! Now I know it's my choice in the end , however I'm looking for another scanner for permanent use inside the house.
Currently I have various scanners and receivers for HF upwards at home with a good variety of Base antennas - I only have one scanner capable of DMR the TRX-1 which is swapped from the car and back again every day !!
So to finally take the plunge and buy another capable scanner do you think I should stay with Whistler (works really well within its limitations) or try an alternative ?
Now as you know , over here we are pretty limited to what we can listen to and to be honest the Whistler and its " choose an area of the Country" and radio will give you as much help in that area is lost here in the UK.
Obviously DMR can be found here and increasingly pushing out analogue , very limited P25 but a few and our Blue Light or First Responders currently on mostly encrypted TETRA so that's out the question.
So any ideas ? existing scanners or something in the pipeline ? Don't really want to go down SDR anymore than I have already , really just come home, turn on the scanner and listen without taking the Whistler in/out the car

Hope you don't mind me asking - I guess I'm really asking for the answers that you guys have experienced already , albeit without me doing all the research and hard work !!!
Thanks in advance from a freezing US Airforce Base here in East of England , but ready to enjoy a quiet, extended Martin Luther long weekend....I love US HOLIDAYS here on Base !!!!!
Kevin(fires999)

MStep

No one knows what's in the pipeline, at least they are not admitting to it. If you want to stick with Whistler, you might consider the TRX-2. With your experience, sounds like the only other scanner for you is the Uniden SDS200. DMR will cost you extra on the SDS series. Another option for base station operation if you want to spend BIG bucks would be the Icom 8600, but alas, to everyone's surprise, Icom does not handle DMR. The Icom is classified more as a communications receiver with some scan functions.

Another unit you might want to look at that will do DMR and unencrypted Tetra is the AOR DV-1. Once again, this is more a communications receiver with some scan functions and is not as flexible as the Uniden SDS series. Happy hunting and stay warm.

enCrypt

I'm perfectly happy with my Uniden UBCD3600XLT for UK use.
No need to pay extra for DMR, it comes as standard (you will need a license for NXDN if you have any of that in your area)
I think it does P25 also, but none of that around me...

west-pac

Thanks in advance from a freezing US Airforce Base here in East of England , but ready to enjoy a quiet, extended Martin Luther long weekend....I love US HOLIDAYS here on Base !!!!!
Kevin(fires999)

Does the airbase itself have a P25 system?.. most installations stateside have P25 systems, albeit they're mostly encrypted; although some simplex channels may not be.

I would NOT recommend an SDS100 or SDS200 scanner, as you mentioned you don't want an SDR receiver, you don't have simulcast P25 systems, and the database and zip code programming features are useless to you.

The Uniden BCD996P2 (base) or the BCD325P2 (handheld) with the additional DMR upgrade would allow you to listen to analog, P25, and DMR; and those scanners do not include any of the Database/Zip Code programming features nor require extra precautions pertaining to SD Cards failures.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Does the airbase itself have a P25 system?.. most installations stateside have P25 systems, albeit they're mostly encrypted; although some simplex channels may not be.

I would NOT recommend an SDS100 or SDS200 scanner, as you mentioned you don't want an SDR receiver, you don't have simulcast P25 systems, and the database and zip code programming features are useless to you.

The Uniden BCD996P2 (base) or the BCD325P2 (handheld) with the additional DMR upgrade would allow you to listen to analog, P25, and DMR; and those scanners do not include any of the Database/Zip Code programming features nor require extra precautions pertaining to SD Cards failures.
Unless you setup recording, there are no extra precautions for the SD card.

Agree that an SDS is excessive to the OP's needs, unless the OP will be returning home in the next year, then it might make sense to plan ahead.

racingfan360

Kevin, Ive posted some of this before, so hopefully helpful to you as you decide:
- I don't believe I have ever seen much if any performance difference between a base and portable version of the same unit (the DV1 vs the DV10 is perhaps the only exception?). So I go for flexibility of a portable every time now.
- I have experience with the Uniden 3600, TRX1, Icom R30 and the AOR DV10
- The Icom R30 is an excellent receiver, but doesn't do DMR. Most digital in the UK is DMR. If it did do DMR I think it'd be top of the list. I think it makes a good '3rd digital scanner' if you have other ways of covering DMR. If you really can live without DMR then consider it.
- You will only be disappointed with the AOR DV10, please keep well clear of it.
- No simulcast in the UK so no need to worry about the Uniden SDS range unless you really need the color display. I cant comment on performance between an SDS100 and Uniden 436/3600, others might be able to.

So I think it's Uniden 3600 vs Whistler TRX1. In short the TRX1 and the 3600 are very similar and good scanners. In my view, the bigger differences to help you compare with what you already know are:
- TRX is good for scanning a known set of frequencies but is a nuisance to program in the field.
- 3600 much easier/better for searching for new frequencies: the TRX isn't intuitive on this
- I find the TRX a bit more sensitive but much less selective vs the 3600
- 3600 much better on civil and milair vs the TRX
- DMR simplex on the TRX is better than the 3600
- The TRX doesn't trunk track
- Close call on the 3600 much better than the equivalent on the TRX
- Auto decode mode on the TRX doesn't work on several search techniques. Always works on the 3600
- Delay in opening squelch on the TRX is a little bit annoying
- Volume on the TRX earphone jack is quite low on the TRX vs the 3600
- Recordings from the 3600 easier to work with but the TRX 'always enabled' way of recording is much better/sensible
- TRX is slower to startup.
- Lack of ability to configure step size and mode per bandplan is a real constraint on the TRX
- The ability to search a band by digital mode only is very helpful on the TRX
- I have very few issues reading/writing data on and off the 3600 SD card. I have more frequent issues with the TRX
- I find the TRX display a bit clearer to read but the way it displays some digital mode info is annoying/limited
- No NXDN CallerID decode on the TRX
- 4 AA batteries in the TRX means it lasts longer than the x3 AA in the 3600. Both eat batteries. Both can run happily off power to the usb port.
- Software for the Uniden (eg ARC536) MUCH easier to deal with vs EZScan.
- Both can cover the same common digital modes. The 3600 only overs P25 and DMR out of the box but you can pay for NXDN add on/upgrade too. I think the only NXDN close to you will be at Snetterton circuit. There is no Provoice in the UK.

If I had to decide, I'd be going for the 3600 largely because it is much better at/easier to search for new signals - the TRX is good at scanning known stuff. My 3600 is my main unit. If I had the option, I would have both before before I got a 2nd TRX1 or 2nd 3600. I do like having the others too, but those are for their more niche features. Given the TRX and 3600 are quite similar I also think having a bit of diversity of scanner types is helpful too, vs the slight overhaed of maintaining multi types/scan lists etc.

HTH

Ubbe

I only have one scanner capable of DMR the TRX-1 which is swapped from the car and back again every day !!... (works really well within its limitations) or try an alternative ?
Portables are intended to be used in cars as well as taken with you when you leave the car and be used at the place you arrived to. You can continue to do that and connect it to the base antenna at home. You probably won't get anything extra buying another scanner.

But we all want new stuff to tinker with, you only live once, so get a new mobile scanner at home. Portables are always a compromise or they would make mobile units just as small, and cheaper to manufacture only one design, to be easier to hide in a car and then only have an additional remote front panel to control.

Get a BCD996P2 to be able to add DMR or a HP536. Both are solid receivers that can handle big and complicated signals.
If you are only stationed temporary at the base and plan to go back to US in a couple of years then absolutely get a SDS200.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.