Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM82557

Had two E3's on ADSB yesterday afternoon, AE11E7 79-0001 SNTRY53 and AE11EF 82-0006, both in the 15:10 - 15:23 local timeframe. Unusual to have two at the same time in the Mid-Atlantic region. Also had RO-6A 15-00338 GRIZLY58 an hour before the E3's.

Last edited:

BM82557

AE6233 on ADS-B

Had an unknown on ADS-B this morning at my location for 7 minutes, AE6233. When I checked Adsbexchange I found that it left Andrews and followed the Potomac River westbound, any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot - 11_30_2018 , 10_52_55.jpg
    Screenshot - 11_30_2018 , 10_52_55.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 162

BM82557

I was outside putting up Christmas decorations a few minutes ago and heard a "heavy" helo south of my location, went back inside and checked my system and it was AE6233 heading 071 degrees. Too cloudy for a visual.

Last edited:

freqhopping

I was outside putting up Christmas decorations a few minutes ago and heard a "heavy" helo south of my location, went back inside and checked my system and it was AE6233 heading 071 degrees. Too cloudy for a visual.

Looks like the 1st HS Hueys are finally getting new transponders. It's currently in Winchester showing MUSEL17. :p

Last edited:

BM82557

Looks like the 1st HS Hueys are finally getting new transponders. It's currently in Winchester showing MUSEL17. :p

Had a visual on one of the white tops in the 14:10 - 14:15 timeframe as it was northbound over I-81 at Martinsburg. Transponder wasn't on at that time though.

freqhopping

MUSSELL15/17 flight heading back into Martinsburg after a short trip down around Winchester. 124.3

Only 17 with mode-s.

1050- GRIZZLY58 Army RO-6A 15-00358 heading north through Loudoun County. If it weren't for the clouds I would've had a good look at it as it went right over my neighborhood. Heading back to Martin State.

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
79-0122 is heading due east from Martin State right now 12:20). Showing up on ADS-B. Since when have A-10's shown up on ADS-B? Crossing Del Bay into Jersey now.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
79-0122 is heading due east from Martin State right now 12:20). Showing up on ADS-B. Since when have A-10's shown up on ADS-B? Crossing Del Bay into Jersey now.

Trying to comply with the 01JAN2020 ADS-B mandate. The USAF / military isn't going to make it.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Trying to comply with the 01JAN2020 ADS-B mandate. The USAF / military isn't going to make it.

So, right now, I have noticed that some law enforcement aircraft used in the area almost never show up on ADS-B. Are there exemptions for them or are they just turning off the transponders because they still can until 2020?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
So, right now, I have noticed that some law enforcement aircraft used in the area almost never show up on ADS-B. Are there exemptions for them or are they just turning off the transponders because they still can until 2020?

Helos generally fly at low altitude, so that makes them difficult to monitor consistently - I see them come and go on networked / web based services. Generally you *must* have your transponder on, and it's required in the SFRA surrounding DC - very few exceptions and public aircraft which include law enforcement helos are not exempt.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Helos generally fly at low altitude, so that makes them difficult to monitor consistently - I see them come and go on networked / web based services. Generally you *must* have your transponder on, and it's required in the SFRA surrounding DC - very few exceptions and public aircraft which include law enforcement helos are not exempt.

I'm thinking of two particular planes in PA that almost never show up. I understand the helos could be hit or miss depending on altitude. But, planes should be there as they are usually pretty high up. Alas, these two that I pay attention to are often not showing up even when I know they are active.

Mark

Premium Subscriber

Yeah the MD ANG Raven A-10's were busy today.. One pair to Pa range and one pair to Atlantic City range R-5002.Once in a while one of the flight
will turn on his mode s transponder but normally they are off.
US Mil fighters,bombers and even transports are exempt from mode s but sometimes on routine training they can light it up. Course some have old equipment that doesn't track or show at all.. Like Maus says many mil and civy types won't make deadline that keeps getting pushed back.
but notice some upgraded McGuire KC-10's will show track full mode s.
I sometimes get older small civy planes right over my house but don't have required mode s system yet.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Next Saturday Army - Navy game 3pm in Philly..
Going over last years log we posted was big snow storm coming in so the 5 Army Apaches
flew over stadium way early and not sure if VICTORY 11 flight of 4 F/18F's ever went up besides
going home later to Oceana. The VFA-103 F/18Fs staged at PHL airport before the game.
Long range forecast shows mostly clear and 37 degrees for next Saturday.. Good chance of snow Sunday afterwards.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking of two particular planes in PA that almost never show up. I understand the helos could be hit or miss depending on altitude. But, planes should be there as they are usually pretty high up. Alas, these two that I pay attention to are often not showing up even when I know they are active.

Unless they (what agency?) are somehow flying under special rules / on a NSM, pretty sure they are squawking something. Perhaps they are not Mode S equipped, not on an IFR flight plan, etc. I would have to know more about the flight profile. Extremely doubtful that they just turned their transponder off because that would FU ATC routing (transponders also report altitude.) Maybe they've been assigned an altitude block, need more info. Even the Fed's LE aircraft are assigned transponder codes. Cannot speak to them being ADS-B equipped yet however.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
DHS, and DoD to a larger scale, use non-civilian modes. (I am not sure how many DHS agencies have IFF, other than USCG.)

Sent using Tapatalk

Yea, but they are still squawking a code that ATC can see when in the NAS, and ADS-R / TIS-B will be sending position data to participating ADS-B In/Out or TIS-B capable aircraft. Ground receivers may not be able to receive ADS-R because they are not close enough to ground stations and a participating aircraft is in the service volume. As for DHS / CBP aircraft using military transponder modes, I cannot speak to that, but I personally have seen USCG helos on TIS-B in my aircraft. I do know that the MH-65s are going through another series upgrade to -E that will include avionics upgrades to shave off a hundred pounds of weight, so you *might* start seeing ADS-B Out from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.