Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech792

1601- "Direct Langley" on ZNY 282.3 missed callsign, nothing showing on the screen. Edit: Call is FIRST 11
1605- TALON 60 ( 15-20786 ) UH-60M on the move going SW near Memphis
1607- FIRST 11 flt of 2 switched to ZNY 381.45

Last edited:

Dutchmil

Mark, I think you are talking about Jack Painter from VA Beach. If so, he was a kind gentleman who would help out anyone who needed it especially when it came to milair comms. He was a friend whom I would visit every time I went to VA Beach. He used to hold a Saturday evening BBQ/get together for some milair friends who were down there for the Oceana airshow every year. I miss him very much, especially when I'm down in VA. He had worked with Larry Fowler and I when Larry started the NE Milair group on QTH.net We spent many late nights weeding out what worked and what didn't when sharing comms and trying to send each other audio clips of what we were hearing. Fun times from years ago! Eventually, Jack started his own website loaded with his frequencies for the VA Beach area with the picture you showed as the background. Here's a picture he sent me in April 2004 of him. He had just joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary at that time and set up an official Coast Guard Aux station at his house with HF and VHF radios. He was very proud of this latest accomplishment and loved working the radios. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Mark. I sure miss that guy!!

View attachment 106829

Thanks Ed, for your nice comments about Jack. I remember him well also, attended one of his Saturday
night BBQ's many years ago when visiting the NAS Oceana air show that weekend. Great guy, RIP Jack.

René.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
2145 JUMBO-71 C-5M 85-0007 says tanker cancelled so will make for Wright Pat on CP 349.400
I think C-5M RCH-145 87-0045 may still be there broken.
RCH-145 87-0045 from Wright Pat towards home Dover.. Flying low at 11k all the way so guess
prob inbound with Landing gear already down. I bet still alpha 3 for repairs.. Talking about doing a tail swap with cargo and pax.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
There’s nothing like being outside having the caracole grill going with some ribeyes on it and having a cold beer while watching RCH-833 fly over you’re house well in view headed into Andrews AFB. AMERICA !
Never tried caracole on the grill.. :) I like charcoal grills though and ribeyes and occasional beer ...
Just kidding yeah that is a great sound and feeling..
2114 local RCH-883 00-0172 now inbound McGuire for uploads on CP 237.150 req 125k fuel.

Last edited:

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Ed, for your nice comments about Jack. I remember him well also, attended one of his Saturday
night BBQ's many years ago when visiting the NAS Oceana air show that weekend. Great guy, RIP Jack.

René.
Rene,
Why yes! I was there that night and it was a pleasure meeting you in person for the first time. I'm thinking it was 2002 or 2003? I have the picture somewhere on my computer of us all in Jack's radio room. He later dubbed the picture as, "America's least wanted"! 😁

hill

Premium Subscriber
Guys thanks for the memories of Jack. Haven't had any reason to think of him before he was mentioned here.

I have been a CG AUX member for 36 years, but not too active with all the stand downs last year during the pandemic, plus wth work being crazy without being able to find any new workers to pick up the slack.

During my time serving as a Assistant District Staff Officer for Communications Jack served as the District Staff Officer for Communications and we talked a lot then by email and phone. I know he really enjoyed using Shipplotter to see and share AIS vessel traffic from his area. I think on some computer still have an Powerpoint he did on the subject. I later moved on into some elected officer positions finishing up as our Division's Commander.

Yes he did augment CAMSLANT. Our members in that area have many great ways to serve with the Coast Guard with many commands in the area like the Fifth Coast District and the Atlantic Area in Portsmouth.

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Although I never met Jack in person; he was kind enough to send some pictures and a note to me for sending info to him for the Willow Grove NAS air show in 2002. What a really nice guy. RIP.
Thanks Rich! That's the pictures! My wife took the group photo and I took the radio room shots.

"America's least wanted", Front row L-R: me with my son Ian, Brian Topolski, Rene. Back row - Don Edwards, Jack, Kevin Burke and his son Nick, Jason Esvra (I think that was his last name).

We we're all dun fried from the airshow that day! I'll look for my pictures later tonight.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Rich! That's the pictures! My wife took the group photo and I took the radio room shots.

"America's least wanted", Front row L-R: me with my son Ian, Brian Topolski, Rene. Back row - Don Edwards, Jack, Kevin Burke and his son Nick, Jason Esvra (I think that was his last name).

We we're all dun fried from the airshow that day! I'll look for my pictures later tonight.

Don Edwards' radio spirit lives on in the Icom R-8500 I bought from him years ago. Still have some of his frequencies both VHF/UHF and HF (along with his alpha tags) in the radio. Ah the good olde days.

Terry

mdmonitor

0950- ADS-B showing T-38 # 63-08229 (71st SA) heading west out of Langley. I'm hearing acft working ZDC Blackstone (235.625) & ZDC Gordonsville (351.9). Didn't catch callsign. Boy, the 71st FS T-38 are doing some travelling lately.

0955- Axeman flt (2 X A10Cs 104th FS MD ANG) working Harrisburg approach (281.525). Advises they will be on the range (Ft Indiantown Gap) for about 20 mins then request IFR routing at FL140 from range to Martin State via Slate Run VOR. Axeman flt working on discrete (228.1).

1005- Wardog 01 flt (2 X A-10Cs 104th FS MD ANG) working ZDC Blue Ridge (285.6) & ZDC Linden (322.55) requesting routing via Kessel VOR. Maybe going to Evers MOA?

1014- Have unid acft (no call noted) working on AR777 discrete (315.9) advising unheard stn/acft the they are now heading down to AR212/213.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.