"sticky thread" you guys are pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

fighterdude

The link to this thread has made its way around and I honestly don't understand what it is you dudes get out of this crap. So every time we take off we have to assume that some poindexter with a receiver is out there listening and posting every word we say to one another? I realize it's over public airways but what's the point?

We are doing a good service for this country, especially when on patrol. Whether it's a training sortie or a cap for 7 or 8 hours, our bros put in long hours and sometimes the only break from turning around in circles is hitting the tanker for gas or conversing a bit on our intraflight freq. Then we find that some dudes are posting transcripts of every word said. Give us a break. What good does it do for you to know that some dude took 12,000 pounds of gas? What difference does it make that we are climbing over clouds or cancelling IFR or entering a MOA? Obviously we are careful what we say all the time, especially with names/places, but can we seriously not say a word to each other without worrying about someone, who by the way knows NOTHING about what is going on up there, posting it on the internet? There are dudes out there who will try to read into this stuff to find out info about our ops and use it to their advantage.

To those wasting their time writing all this stuff down...you probably have a wife or kid who needs a little more attention. Put down your grilled cheese sandwich and PBR, leave the receiver for a few hours, and go enjoy a real life. If you don't have the wife or kid to spend that time with then get out a little bit and maybe someday you will. If you really care about aviation take some of that extra time and maybe go get a PPL and be a real pilot instead of just a wannabe with a ham radio.

I doubt I'll even post on this thread again because the intent is not to start a pissing contest. I'm just asking that you dudes think about how pointless this is and realize the fact that you ARE NOT helping you bros in the military by posting everything you can find out about our ops on the internet. There are far better things to do with your time...

Last edited:

DavidNVA

Maverick said:
There are dudes out there who will try to read into this stuff to find out info about our ops and use it to their advantage."

And this is why I fully support the war on the Axis of Dudes.

I call for preemptive air strikes on all surf shops and skateboard parks!

I doubt I'll even post on this thread again because the intent is not to start a pissing contest

lol, of course not.

TinEar

Well, well, well Mr. Fighterdude. So you don't like/want/expect the common folks to be listening in to your ops. I hope you're really one of the people we're listening to and not one of the "supportdudes" calling himself a "fighterdude" although many of the "supportdudes" do most of the work to keep your butt safe in the sky. If you haven't said Thank You to them lately, do it.

You see, this is called a hobby. There are all kinds of reasons why people have a hobby but I needn't explain that. Among some of the "poindexters eating cheese sandwiches" I know posting here are ex-military, retired-military and people just interested in all things military, especially flying. I would think you'd feel a bit honored to know there is a large contingent of people that admire what you do and honor your service to the country. Some posters here have been in real wars and done their own military service (some for more years than you've probably been alive) so don't ever feel like you're the lone hero flying around the skies. I dare say most are also considerably older than you and will resent your tone, your teen-talk, and being talked down to.

And your statement, "Obviously we are careful what we say all the time, especially with names/places..." is certainly not true. We do not transcribe all the names, phone numbers, girls you're sleeping with (in and out of marriage), which females are morally loose (a euphemism for the names you've called them), comments about commanders and other unit personnel they'd rather not read, names of your kids and wives, the schools they attend, where you live, play and hang out - and all the other personal information that you should know better than to say on air but still do.

We don't publish those things out of respect. However, are you not aware that there is such a thing called ComSec that does record it all, transcribe it and file it away for posterity? Obviously not, in light of all the personal information you carelessly divulge on your interflight channels. So, when you miss a promotion and don't know why and no one will tell you the truth, think about it. Perhaps that's the reason. Yes, maybe what we do publish makes you feel a little uneasy. Good. You should be much more careful than you are about what you say.

And then there's this statement, "...but can we seriously not say a word to each other without worrying about someone, who by the way knows NOTHING about what is going on up there, posting it on the internet?" First, we'll let the "know nothing" comment go because you have no idea what we know or don't know or what our experiences are that would provide context. Second, NO, you cannot say a word to each other up there that shouldn't be overheard by a third party (or a hundred third parties.) So, if this worries you, again I'll say GOOD! You should worry and you should be more careful than you currently are. Many of your brethren have absolutely no regard for operational security and are careless, loose-lipped "fighterdudes" with the attitude that you're somehow above the fray. Yeah, we "common folks" are listening. We do admire your service, the dangers you face and honor your service to the country. But your attitude could stand a whole lot of adjusting. So could your radio security.

BMT

I've probably been retired from the Army more years than he has had birthdays. ;-)))

BMT

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Next he'll blame the Internet as a place we can post this stuff. The truth is many of us, including myself, have been listening a lot longer than the Internet has been available to the public. So even if his type of conversations are not posted, we're still listening. :D

md_p97

fighterdude said:
If you really care about aviation take some of that extra time and maybe go get a PPL and be a real pilot instead of just a wannabe with a ham radio.

I'm a pilot.....Don't suppose you'd let my fly your plane would ya?

Oh, but I'm not a licensed Ham....that test is WAY harder than the one to become a pilot.

Paul

OK, a show of hands....how many of you knew that when you are granted a pilots license, you are automatically granted an FCC radio operators license too?

Last edited:

carbineone

Premium Subscriber
TinEar nicely said ! and to Fighterdude if your that worried about us hearing how your weekend golf game went try turning on your KY-58 or HAVE-QUICK.

tbnmaster

Fighterdude,

I AM one of your brethren, so watch who you’re calling a “poindexter with a receiver” who has no life. The link to this thread has made its way around……what? The constant flow of funny pictures, movies and jokes that circulate though everyone’s email (that shouldn’t be circulating to begin with)?!?! Please.

I apologize to everyone here on behalf of MY “brother”, who obviously typed before he thought.

CitationJet

Re: "fighterdude"

"fighterdude", at first I read your silly diatribe and dismissed it as just another pointless rant and rave from someone who had just returned from pounding a few too many brews down at the "Fictional Macho Flyboy's Bar and Grill" with his manly macho dude buddies.

However, I then reconsidered that initial view and started to put my grilled cheese sandwich-addled brain to THINKING!

Assembled Milcom Dudes:

What really worries me here is that if he really IS a "fighterdude", and given the fact that he very obviously has the mental capacity of a shrub, I shudder to think that he could actually be in charge of millions of dollars worth of sophisticated military hardware!!! Now THAT scares the dude out of me, dudes!!!

:cool:)

CitationJet Dude, dude!

fighterdude said:
The link to this thread has made its way around and I honestly don't understand what it is you dudes get out of this crap. So every time we take off we have to assume that some poindexter with a receiver is out there listening and posting every word we say to one another? I realize it's over public airways but what's the point?

We are doing a good service for this country, especially when on patrol. Whether it's a training sortie or a cap for 7 or 8 hours, our bros put in long hours and sometimes the only break from turning around in circles is hitting the tanker for gas or conversing a bit on our intraflight freq. Then we find that some dudes are posting transcripts of every word said. Give us a break. What good does it do for you to know that some dude took 12,000 pounds of gas? What difference does it make that we are climbing over clouds or cancelling IFR or entering a MOA? Obviously we are careful what we say all the time, especially with names/places, but can we seriously not say a word to each other without worrying about someone, who by the way knows NOTHING about what is going on up there, posting it on the internet? There are dudes out there who will try to read into this stuff to find out info about our ops and use it to their advantage.

To those wasting their time writing all this stuff down...you probably have a wife or kid who needs a little more attention. Put down your grilled cheese sandwich and PBR, leave the receiver for a few hours, and go enjoy a real life. If you don't have the wife or kid to spend that time with then get out a little bit and maybe someday you will. If you really care about aviation take some of that extra time and maybe go get a PPL and be a real pilot instead of just a wannabe with a ham radio.

I doubt I'll even post on this thread again because the intent is not to start a pissing contest. I'm just asking that you dudes think about how pointless this is and realize the fact that you ARE NOT helping you bros in the military by posting everything you can find out about our ops on the internet. There are far better things to do with your time...

Last edited:

fighterdude

Alright, I guess I expected that coming into your place and calling you all out. Doesn't change a thing though. To be constructive...honestly this all comes down to opsec/comsec. If guys are out there saying stuff on the airways that they should not be it should be addressed, but it doesn't make what you dudes are doing a good idea. Good on you at least a little bit for editing content a bit. Honestly I don't understand the interest in doing something like this, seems like an awful waste of time but if it's a hobby you enjoy then so be it, who am I to judge. To each his own, right?

For our training flights, maybe I can see why listening to comm would be interesting, at least stuff from fence-in to fence-out. The problem I have, and it is legit whether you agree or not, is the detailing of all the alert and ONE sorties, talking about who is up and when/where they are patrolling. No one needs to go out of their way to make it know when/where we are flying when we are up on those kind of rides. If you really are a formerly rated dude then you agree with that. If not, you really are a shadow of your former self and should really think back to the days when you were in our shoes and why certain things are classified in the first place.

Tbn, don't feel the need to apologize for me to your internet bros. I wouldn't feel the need to apologize for you to the guys in the squadron, all of whom just shook their heads when they saw this link. All the ones I saw at least. I've been around quite a bit lately and know dudes in every airframe we fly, I can't imagine the squadron where 90%+ of dudes wouldn't laugh at you for knowing you're into this kind of stuff. That's what makes me wonder if you really are an eagle driver.

To those of you who do this in your spare time, thanks for your interest and I hope you learn some interesting stuff by listening to what we do. I know it's a cool job and anyone who pays taxes lets me do it, so get some enjoyment out of it. Please use some good judgement to what you post, though. The ins and outs of our ADF missions have no place being posted everywhere, and honestly who cares how many times we hit the tanker or what we are chatting about over victor to kill the time. The other 95% of the sorties we fly I suppose are fair game. They are the interesting ones anyway.

tbnmaster

fighterdude said:
I can't imagine the squadron where 90%+ of dudes wouldn't laugh at you for knowing you're into this kind of stuff.

Oh, I get laughed at all the time, but it's all in good fun. The difference is that nobody purposely (creating an account on a forum, going off on a tangent and saying you'll never post here again because it's not for a pissing contest) goes out of their way to verbally bash folks for what they do in their spare time. I personally have no reason to listen to mil-comms in my off time, but the fact that you lumped all amateur radio operators in your post about those that do was extremely uninformed.

That being said, I'm done with this thread.

God bless and stay safe fighterdude.

TinEar

And then there's the *other* fighterdude who can talk some sense if he really tries. You know, if you had come in here with your second post and not the smart-ass, teenage sounding put-down in your initial try, you might have gained some understanding and begun an honest dialogue. Glad to see that side of you.

Maybe we're out of our skulls for doing this stuff. Or maybe we do need a life but we've chosen this one. By the way, those minor details we post about flight is how new MilAir listeners learn the terminology that's used and the steps you go through during an AR op, for instance. Your fuel intake from the tanker or whether you're flying in VMC/IMC are not important overall but simply provide the context for getting the most out of listening and understanding what the pilot is saying and why he's saying it. As you know though, your fuel intake also tells us the type aircraft you are. But we knew that from the moment you left the deck because you never change callsigns or freqs.

(There goes a screaming Piaggio P180 Avanti overhead as I try to type this. Neat looking bird.)

You say, "...honestly this all comes down to opsec/comsec." Now you're hitting pay dirt. Yes, it does. When I said yesterday we edit out all the personal stuff, I was not exaggerating a bit when I detailed some of the things we hear and omit from the logs. And we do that for your safety, not our own. From the standpoint of someone who might want to do you harm, those are the things that are more important than where you're flying. Think about that for a bit and perhaps have a discussion about it with your fellow drivers. If I'm a bad guy, I can twist you and turn you easier by knowing your family details and something you've done that's strictly against regs than I can knowing the altitude and track you're flying on an ADF mission. You tell me...which of the following situations can do the most harm to your unit if I listen to your comms and publish what I hear?

1. You're flying a combat air patrol mission over Camp David protecting the airspace from the ground up to 18,000 feet because the President is there. You fly just 3-4,000 feet above that in your F-16s and need to go to a supporting tanker about once an hour to refuel and give your tail number while doing it. Or...
2. I publish which of your "bros" jumped in the sack with the wife or girlfriend of a unit member.

The first is published in a NOTAM for the whole world to see including dates, times, areas, or in other official publications by the military and news services. The second is a unit cohesion busting item that will be very difficult to get past and might destroy the effectiveness of your unit and its mission.

What you say on "Victor" (and that makes you an F16 or A10 driver, eh? Based on other things you've said though, you're a 16 driver and I'm fairly sure I could tell you the base) is not just letting off a little steam during a tough mission, it's how a third party gets to know you and possibly use you. I honestly wish you guys would stop and think about OpSec/ComSec for a bit. If I can build all that information about you with part-time listening, think what the file of an enemy might contain about you and your family or one or more of the drivers in your unit. Yes, most of you totally lose it when on Victor. You're careless and negligent with your chat. It negates all the lessons you've learned about security. So, maybe you should be thankful there are people listening to your comms and pointing this out rather than putting them down as "poindexters with receivers." Maybe, just maybe, we have something to give back to you hotshots in return for your service. The frequent posters on the thread have a lot of military service spread among us. We have the hindsight of also knowing the past and would never do anything we thought would hurt you or your mission. Your comms during flying give away nothing until you get free with comments about capabilities of your craft and its equipment - primarily when something breaks and you forget about security. Even those are found in milpubs for anyone that has an interest. It's your Victor comms that will destroy you - and we seldom say a word about those. You have secure transmission capabilities. Use them. We want you to be safe and we want you to accomplish your mission. So, go get 'em fighterdude!

scanjunkie

If anyone with a receiver can listen to what you're saying up there, then who cares if it gets posted in this forum too...it's open air, no big secrets there!
I will agree with the others though, and will say Thank you for your service to our great country...keep up the good work and stay safe!!

jerseymilair

Fighterdude,
I have read all the post above and just wanted to add something here. First off, your original post to this matter did get off to a bad start. All of here at RadioReference respect what you do for this country. Everyday I thank GOD for being an American and am proud to live in this great country. But, let's keep one thing in mind. The government(your boss) knows there are many people who monitor the daily activities of the Armed Forces. If the government does not want the person with a scanner or shortwave radio to here them, then we won't. You should know that they are only letting us here what they allow us to hear. You and I and everyone else knows there are numerous ways for any aired transmission to be aired without others receiving or understanding the context of that transmission. Bottom line is, we respect you and ALL of the others who protect this country. Please respect our hobby. We enjoy hearing you and the others. And remember, if it's not meant to be heard, it won't.
Stay safe, and protect us.
Thank You,
Steve
jerseymilair

jrplmil

I have been a ham for 26 years now and proud of it. Perhaps you should go back to school and learn a bit more. You would not be in the air without hams nor would you have communications and that includes computers. I hope you the very best and GOD Bless you. This is a wonderful country we live in where it is ok to badmouth others for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.