Still debating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subliminal87

This is kind of long so people can give a better opinion of what they think would work better for me.

So I pushed back my purchase of a 436 or 536 until income tax time. My county isn't going to the new P25 system until later this year. I am waiting to figure out what they are encrypting too, they said none, then some, then maybe all of PD. Which if that's the case, I'll pass completely as I want to listen to all of public safety, and have no interest in anything else.

I bought a 396xt, because I had a BCT 15x and I hated having to unplug the antenna inside, the power cable, taken it out to the car, connect it to the power, connect it to the antenna, remote head, and put it under the seat. Then when I got to where I was going, I had to reach around under the seat and turn it off their since the remote head only turned off the remote.

396xt was good, grab and go. Perfect. Only downsides were, I didn't have a cigarette lighter adapter, I didn't buy one because bad reviews saying it messed up the scanner. I also didn't like it because hey guess what, I needed an amplified speaker for the car. Which means something else that needs a power source. I ended up returning it, because the next county over turned on their P25 Phase 2 system, and since I work on the line, I'd like to listen to that. I also have questions whether or not our county will go phase 2 later. Where I travel, they are all phase 1, and phase 2.

I want the 436 because grab and go, and hey! it plus into my car adapter I have for my iphone (or so i'm told). The only thing I'm not sure about is whether i'd need an amplified speaker or not, do I?

I want the 536 because it's a nice base scanner, it will sit on my desk alot. It will also get in the car too. I've read about the siren app, that would be nice when it comes out. It doesn't need an amplified speaker, I can plug in a normal speaker and be done (It worked perfectly that way on the 15x). If the app turned off the scanner remotely that would be great. I think I could manage taking it inside and out, maybe in a bag if it's raining.

Who here has bought the 536 and wished they bought the 436 and why? Easier to transport and move?

Who bought the 436 and wished they bought the 536 and why?

To start I can only buy one of these scanners. I can't justify buying both.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well there may be those who say my faith is misplaced, I still have great hopes for the Siren App coming out eventually. My thinking was that I could use my 536 in conjunction with the Siren App on my iPhone and pretty much have the same features as the portable scanner.

If you are "out and about" often, the portable model may be a good choice for you. In the past I've used portable scanners in vehicles with good results. I did get an amplified speaker to beef up the volume. I also used an external (magnetic mount) antenna when I was travelling in remote areas. (These scanners were the 396T and 396XT).

Status
Not open for further replies.