Still hiring SSD Dispatchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolnCode3

I actually was going to put an app in. Because of how unstable the County budget is right now, we don't know what's happening to our Dept./unit. I'll put it in by the July cutoff date. Have to go get a new typing certificate. Last one is way old.

Crazy part is it'd be a pay raise (if safety retirement weren't factored in).

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
ssd has some awesome dispatchers. especially the ones on mode 1 and 2 it's all i listen to usually

I consistently hear proactive welfare checks and safety and security checks from the dispatchers.

we know that some are mandated etc but they seem to go above and beyond

i just dont get scumbags in the north area - what are they thinking?

ssd has some bad ass patrol and dispatchers and not many scumbags get away - very few if at all

then i listen to roseville pd and i am embarrassed for them

an interesting note - the chp dispatchers get a public safety retirement

but the techs who SUPPORT the system HE/SHE is talking on .. dont get one

Last edited:

Sac916

For those interested in getting a job with Sac Sheriff dispatch....
One of the few positions still hiring in the department.

Communications Dispatcher (radio and 911 phone position)
Job Bulletin

911 Call Dispatcher (non-radio position)
Job Bulletin

Sac916

so i assume sac cnty handles in county 911 calls now - since chp doesnt anymore >

Sac County sheriff has always handled all land line 911 calls in the unincorporated portion of the county, including Rancho Cordova and all American River Parkway callboxes.

CHP handles cell 911 in the unincorporated portion of Sacramento County.

SSD is currently collecting data from specific cell towers to provide analytical data for the VERY slow process of switching 911 cell jurisdiction. SSD has a significant issue with staffing,infrastructure and 'workspace' for taking over cell 911 services. The current dispatch center can not handle a full blown transfer of cell 911 jurisdiction.

RolnCode3

In the typing certificate pdf it says that online certificates are not acceptable and then lists a bunch of places that issue certificates. The updated typing guidelines (from 2010) also say that. Are the listed locations just suggestions, or are they truly the only places that are acceptable? I'll have to find time on one of the days I'm up there to get another certificate, but I already have one issued from a place here in Sonoma and don't want to do it again if it's not necessary.

Sac916

In the typing certificate pdf it says that online certificates are not acceptable and then lists a bunch of places that issue certificates. The updated typing guidelines (from 2010) also say that. Are the listed locations just suggestions, or are they truly the only places that are acceptable? I'll have to find time on one of the days I'm up there to get another certificate, but I already have one issued from a place here in Sonoma and don't want to do it again if it's not necessary.

Here's the pdf RolnCode3 is talking about
http://hra.co.sacramento.ca.us/Files/typing_certificate_requirements 2010-Rev.pdf

I knew about the online prohibition, but not about "acceptable" certificates locations.
Sac Employment (916) 874-5593 email employoffice@saccounty.net

Makes me think that 'faking' a certificate could be pretty easy if ANY outside of online are acceptable.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
ant i should have specified - i meant cell 911

i have had a cell phone only for so many years (1997?) i forget about land line people :)

RolnCode3

Thanks for linking the pdf. I should have done that when I referred to it. I'll toss HR an email and see if they respond. Thanks.
They told me they don't expect someone to drive to Sac for a typing test, so app submitted for both positions. If I'd been smarter, I would have put a transfer request in before my layoff.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
roln if sac county follows civil service rules like the state ..

one would think you would have reinstatement rights - especially after being laid off and it being so soon after being laid off

priority over other people due to previous sac county employment

RolnCode3

Written test scheduled for tomorrow (1-25-11) at 815am at Marconi Station. Anyone else apply and taking it? Was told that it's not the POST dispatcher test but some other in-house test.

RolnCode3

I think it went OK. Definitely NOT the POST test. It's some in-house thing that the HR people administer. One person got kicked out for "cheating" - but honestly some of the instructions were so complicated I almost made the same mistake she did (taking notes during 1 question where you couldn't - among a bunch where you could).

Overall, probably rank fairly well. I like the POST test a LOT more though. Oh yeah, the lady administering it was an old bitty. Crotchety. Chewed my ear for not printing out her email. She wouldn't even look at my iPhone with her email clearly displayed. She told me to read directions. I told her it said "bring this notice", so I did. She was not pleased. And it takes 5-6 weeks to score a scantron...

Status
Not open for further replies.