• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Still used by truckers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hd78glide

Hey,

We are going to be travelling in mid-south west USA and was planning on installing a mobile cb in my truck. Do truckers still use cb or have they gone to VHF like in Alberta and British Columbia in canada?

Just trying to decide what I should do.

Thanks

sdeeter19555

There is nothing wrong with that setup...

About the only thing that could be done is to have a reputable tech check to ensure the radio is on frequency and that the receive is where it should be...

SCPD

QRT
Hey,

We are going to be travelling in mid-south west USA and was planning on installing a mobile cb in my truck. Do truckers still use cb or have they gone to VHF like in Alberta and British Columbia in canada?

Just trying to decide what I should do.

Thanks
As I am in Alberta what should I be listing to on the road?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Here in Indiana CB is still very much alive with truckers, and with the local citizenry, at least the old bros in the hood. Still some usage with hunters too I believe. On the highways, "Sesame Street - 19" is still used all day every day. I monitor during rough weather and during big construction times to see about hazards ... Its become a standard part of my scanning pattern.

ChetsJug

Alive and kicking

I assure you CB is alive and kicking. Even the Canadian trucks that "have gone to VHF" have CB's if they come here to the states. Some people think it's a dying fad because there are dead days on the air. Trust me, when the snow flies or it's bad rain conditions... or traffic backs up in an accident, radios come to life and drivers are all a twitter with "What's going on up ahead?"

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I think these are the VHF channels that are frequently used in Alberta and British Columbia. Known as LADD channels:

Trucking/RCMP Interop Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I had never herd of them! Thanks the scan list just got a bit longer.....

First. Herd should be heard. Second you may want to add the following frequencies for Alberta in addition to the LAD(short for Logging Administation) channels

153.050 Alberta Open 1
162.210 Alberta Open 2
163.050 Alberta Open 3
166.620 Alberta Open 4
168.120 Alberta Open 5
165.480 Alberta Open 6

These are all wide and still, and likely will always be +/-5KHz frequencies.

LAD 1 while used through out Alberta is not legal unless used as a road channel north of Edmonton, LAD 2 is not legal to use ANYWHERE in Alberta, but is used fairly regularly as a road channel, I know of at least 3 oil roads it is used on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I don't know, but I was told that truckers don't use cb anymore in those two provinces. That they use VHF now.

Not sure but likely CB is used in Alberta and BC but it does not have to typical range or audio quality that a 30w VHF radio will have. It is not used in the logging industry or oil patch though, those two industries only use VHF for radio controlled roads. CB may still be used by OTR truckers, but many also have VHF

Most of, if not all, the logging and oil patch activity in BC and Alberta is on VHF. In 6 years working in the oil patch, I have yet to see a resource road in Alberta that is on a CB channel. ALL radio controlled roads are on VHF now.

IC, Worksafe BC and the logging industry have come up with a whole bunch of VHF frequencies to use for logging/oil&gas. These frequencies have standardized names, and road signs, also the empty/loaded terminology has been changed as well.

IC has been working on moving LMR users from these frequencies, so that they will be used only for resource roads. There is a list of frequencies that were part of a pilot project in the BC database. But the finalized list will be different.

Users were questioned on their effectiveness, and changes have been made. I believe eventually these channels will be used through out BC.

All this came about after a fatality inquiry into a workplace death on a logging road.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
First. Herd should be heard. Second you may want to add the following frequencies for Alberta in addition to the LAD(short for Logging Administation) channels

153.050 Alberta Open 1
162.210 Alberta Open 2
163.050 Alberta Open 3
166.620 Alberta Open 4
168.120 Alberta Open 5
165.480 Alberta Open 6

These are all wide and still, and likely will always be +/-5KHz frequencies.

LAD 1 while used through out Alberta is not legal unless used as a road channel north of Edmonton, LAD 2 is not legal to use ANYWHERE in Alberta, but is used fairly regularly as a road channel, I know of at least 3 oil roads it is used on.

To expand on that, LAD 1-4, and the 6 Alberta open frequencies are referred to IC as the 'basic ten' and can be added to a mobile LMR licence. Along with about 400+ road frequencies.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Down here in Florida, the truckers still

use CBs. Not as many as was in the 70s and 80s, but still enough to get a road check and smokey report. (damn, can't believe I just typed that in "smokey". Makes me feel old, out dated, and nerdy! lol) Also, when the skips rollin' in, the cb crowd is pretty much wall to wall...

mikepdx

Last edited:

RodStrong

CB is still alive, but as others have said, just not as popular as in decades past. If you have the time, space, and money to install a CB for your trip, I'd definitely do it.

Good luck on your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.