Still Waiting on my new Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeThompson

Hi guys, I purchased a new TECSUN 660 at the end of May, and i am still waiting for it to appear at my door. My older receiver doesn't quite pick up stations like it used to, and I'm getting antsy to listen to some SW again.

I heard about online receiving. Any good? Good enough until my Tecsun arrives?

K4EET

Chaplain
Good morning Mike. The COVID-19 situation probably has the shipping time on your new TECSUN PL-660 receiver delayed. It took 4 weeks to have a book delivered from the ARRL in Connecticut to me here in Maryland! But the wait will be worth it when your new horizon opens up with that receiver.

As for online receiving, not sure which service you might be referring to. There are some websites that have receivers (and some even with transceivers for hams) that you can register with and control the tuning. It is interesting but nothing beats having the receiver right in front of you.

Cheers my friend! Keep us posted...

Dave

MikeThompson

not sure which service you might be referring to

I read somewhere/ saw somewhere, maybe in a dream, that there is like an online tuner you can listen to shortwave broadcasts. Just glorified internet radio, but something like that.

nothing beats having the receiver right in front of you

I agree. There is a tactile element to listening I think, and that is missing with online broadcasts. I tired to explain that to my wife when I said I was ordering a new radio. "Can't you just get that online?" Uh, yeah but that's not the point.

GB46

Yes, the tactile element and the thrill of tuning in distant stations is what has kept me in this hobby since the late 1950s. It's also nice to get away from the computer once in a while, which is one of the reasons I've never considered buying an SDR.

Besides those tunable receiver sites online, there are some internet streams from international broadcasters that have left the airwaves and switched to the web. Radio Romania International is both on the air and on the web, streaming its broadcasts in real time, including its interval signal. Some stations that are both on the air and online merely offer streams from prerecorded scheduled programs, or downloadable files of them. Radio Havana Cuba is one example. Frankly, after having used the internet for 26 years and computers for 42 years, I'm getting bored with both.

W8WCA

I read somewhere/ saw somewhere, maybe in a dream, that there is like an online tuner you can listen to shortwave broadcasts. Just glorified internet radio, but something like that.

I agree. There is a tactile element to listening I think, and that is missing with online broadcasts. I tired to explain that to my wife when I said I was ordering a new radio. "Can't you just get that online?" Uh, yeah but that's not the point.

Mike:

Send me a message and I will give you a password for my SDR-IQ online you wil need to download sdranywhere.
It is just a 90 Ft Random wire in my attic so I can leave it on 24/7

Good thing on that is there are mayn there also!

Also I think On-line remotely controlled radio receivers - GlobalTuners has some free SW radios online

Kaleier1

Better website for online receives that you can tune than Global Tuners is at websdr.org

You don't have to register or log in and aren't restricted from certain receivers because you aren't a paying member. You can even save frequencies in memories and use a name, callsign, or phrase that you type in when you return to bring them up. It also shows who is listening to what frequencies and some even have chat.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys, I purchased a new TECSUN 660 at the end of May, and i am still waiting for it to appear at my door. My older receiver doesn't quite pick up stations like it used to, and I'm getting antsy to listen to some SW again.

I heard about online receiving. Any good? Good enough until my Tecsun arrives?

While not as much fun as having your own receiver, using KiwiSDR to listen to listen to shortwave and AM stations from receivers around the world is kind of cool.

Example for WWV

KiwiSDR Operating Information

List of KiwiSDR radios

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As a follow up to my comrade in arms W2XQ; no matter how good the radio, without a good antenna it won't perform. We have a dedicated forum for such questions, and 2 wiki pages (all links are in blue) with lots of ideas

And it's always good to have other PL660 users' help when issues arise. Apart from the folks here, the Yahoo group is a bit older, but as you might have heard, there is a migration over to groups.io, so here are both addresses

Enjoy the new radio; you have much to learn, my paduwon ....Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.