• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Stinkin' Fire Marshals Ruin The 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I thought you meant they were preventing people from honoring those who have kept our country safe over the past 200+ years... If we weren't a free society, or if we forgot the real meaning of the 4th, _then_ it would be ruined.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
trimmerj said:
by confiscating Illegal Fireworks and blowing up watermellons with M80's on televised press conferences.
Every year around the fourth of July, and New Year's Eve, the news media goes out and blows up watermelons on TV to show you how dangerous fireworks are. Sometimes they dress up the watermelon in clothes to make it resemble someones head.

Here in Florida, fireworks that explode or leave the ground are illegal. Despite this, shops selling these fireworks are springing up everywhere. Because of a loophole in the law, it's legal to sell them, posess them, and transport them, you just can't use them to celebrate the fourth of July or new year's. Shop owners get around the law by making customers sign a waiver saying that the fireworks will be used for "railroad signaling" or "to scare birds", or for "religious ceremonies". It seems they're legal for these purposes.

CQ20m

Premium Subscriber
In my county of Pennsylvania, and I would guess the entire state, fireworks are illegal to possess or use. However, the boro fathers have approved a building permit for a fireworks store to be built downtown, as long as they don't sell to Penna. residents! They expect a lot of customers from Jersey, where I guess fireworks are legal to use, but not to buy! Go figure.

car2back

hmm, yeah I really hate it when Law Enforcement do their job to protect stupid people from injuring themselves :roll:

Last edited:

ScanManQSL

QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
Amnesty Program

Here is Maryland (Montgomery County) eveything illegal. But we have this amnesty program were residents may turn in fireworks for free SixFlags admissions coupons without fear of being arrested or fined.

Press Releases for the Amnesty Program:
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/apps/dfrs/news/press/DisplayInfo.cfm?ItemID=167

The BS Law:

"It is illegal for any person to manufacture, possess, store, offer for sale, sell, discharge, use, burn, or explode any fireworks in Montgomery County, Maryland, except that an authorized display may be conducted by a licensed pyrotechnic professional with a permit. Penalties for violations of the law include a fine up to $1,000 and/or six months in jail."

SLWilson

And people STILL hurt themselves!!!!

W4KRR said:
Every year around the fourth of July, and New Year's Eve, the news media goes out and blows up watermelons on TV to show you how dangerous fireworks are. Sometimes they dress up the watermelon in clothes to make it resemble someones head...
AND, every year we see on the news AFTER the 4th that some drunkin adult or small child has been seriously injured because they didn't pay attention to the blown up watermelon.... :(

SLWilson said:
AND, every year we see on the news AFTER the 4th that some drunkin adult or small child has been seriously injured because they didn't pay attention to the blown up watermelon.... :(
Here on the 2nd we had a guy hit himself in the face with a 2.5 inch mortor. Went to light it it immediatly went off and blew up on contact with his head. note do not put any part of body over launch tube

scankid2591

Hmm... Why are the Fire Marshals on ABC, NBC, FOX, etc. always concerned with M-80's, M-1000's, etc? Roman candles and bottle rockets can be extremely dangerous. A firecracker should be the least of their worries.

NeFire242

Yup this is exactly how the list of Darwin Award Winner's keeps getting longer.

Not sure how you view that as a "BS Law". It's clearly to protect people and property from injury or worse. You wouldn't feel the same way if some punk kid caught your house, shed or car on fire.

scankid2591

Well sure, they are trying to protect people. But I mean, what kind of idiot doesn't throw a firecracker after they lit the fuse?? :confused:

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
B/S Law in Ohio

Sparklers, trick noisemakers & novelties are exempt under Ohio law.

Other consumer fireworks may be sold to Ohio residents upon execution of a form agreeing to take the items out to the state within 48 hours, or to out-of state residents upon execution of a form agreeing to take the items out the state within 72 hours.

I would bet that less than 1% are following the law.

As an Investigator and Inspector I don't go looking for trouble, but I have no problem putting the hot irons to someone who has caused harm to another or his property due to negligence.

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/07/05/20060705-C5-05.html

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/06/03/20060603-D1-01.html

elk2370bruce

Just remember, if the average American adult was not the occasional ******** none of us in public safety would have a job nor would 75 percent of all emergency room admissions be necessary, drug overdoses would not occur, nor would DWI deaths be so alarmingly high. As Pogo said years ago, "We have met the enemy, and he is US". Just read George Orwell for the finely tuned details.

N4UYV_Al

scankid2591 said:
Well sure, they are trying to protect people. But I mean, what kind of idiot doesn't throw a firecracker after they lit the fuse?? :confused:
Bingo!!! What kind of idiot actually HOLDS a lit firecracker in their hand? The same guy who actually thought he had 5 seconds on a 5-second fuse? Yup, I love the look on ol' Bills face when we pull up with a fire truck & ambulance & he waves to us with a hand with only a couple of fingers..Ya always hear them say,"Man, I was stupid"....

Llwellyn

Just in Indianapolis last night there were two separate instances of children tragically traumatically injured by fireworks... one 16-year-old is now blessed with only 7 fingers instead of 10. A 10-year-old was hit in the eye with a bottle rocket causing a severe eye injury. Children cannot be expected to protect themselves from these kinds of injuries... that's why the laws are in place and all fireworks are intended to be used only by adults or children under direct supervision. Where were the parents when this kid blew his hand apart... and if they were there, then I guess it truly was an "accident". Where were the parents when another child aimed a bottle rocket at the child, and why wasn't it prevented?

The laws are in place for these kinds of reasons. Also, in an urban area you have to worry about property too... if I went shooting off aerials from my backyard I'd be pelting all of my neighbors with glowing embers... not exactly a safe way to celebrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.