Stockton FD Channel 2 LEO tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
There's a working incident at a local Safeway and Stockton Fire is using channel 2 for TAC, which is common practice. This time is different however. They seem to have an emergency tone active which is identical to the tone(s) used for Law Enforcement during critical incidents. I've never heard this before. Anyone with some insight know why they may be using a repeating emergency tone for this incident??

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
There's a working incident at a local Safeway and Stockton Fire is using channel 2 for TAC, which is common practice. This time is different however. They seem to have an emergency tone active which is identical to the tone(s) used for Law Enforcement during critical incidents. I've never heard this before. Anyone with some insight know why they may be using a repeating emergency tone for this incident??

It could be law and fire are patched together on this incident so you're hearing law's beeper.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
I know Fire had requested PD to help with traffic control since they had to evacuate the building. However, I know that PD didn't have a cleared channel for that incident. Just assigned a few units and routine radio traffic continued. I haven't heard Fire ever patch PD in but I know that PD can communicate on their channel if they need direct immediate information, which they have done in the past. This tone seems to be Fire specific. Just haven't heard it used in that manner before.

wskrayen

I heard both on the Safeway incident and on a couple other structure boxes. I also heard Control 2 ask the IC on one, if he still needed the tone to continue. This happening after he placed the incident under control and told Control 2 they no longer needed to monitor the channel.

Why the tones, no idea. Did the Chief's old department have one, and he decided to bring the idea here? :confused:

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
I just go off of a person's voice. I don't personally know anyone in the FD. But both Batallion Chiefs sound like the same one's since I have been listening for the last 2 years or so to fire.

hutch987

The tone is new. It is so the firefighters know their radio is active. They had an issue recently with a radio failure and none of the firefighters inside even knew they had lost communication. Now if they are not hearing a tone while inside the structure, they know they have an issue. It is for personnel accountability and only used while they are inside the building actively fighting fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.