Stolen GRE PSR-500's - Be on the lookout

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We have been notified that 5 GRE PSR-500's were stolen from a shipment at the port with the following serial numbers:

S/N: 002937

GRE warns that these PSR-500's are not covered under warranty. In addition, one of these PSR-500's has shown up on ebay already, so buyer beware and be on further lookout. Here is the link to the ebay auction for one of the stolen radios.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280250043918

mciupa

Database Admin
Some people have been saved from unknowingly buying stolen goods.

This announcement page is a great way to get the word out. :cool:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Surprised the listing is still up there, maybe Ebay has no idea it is stolen.

Good thing too... check this out:

Hello and Congratulations Thank you for your purchase . We offer four convenient ways of payment. Our preferred way of payment is Paypal or Bank Wire Transfer, you can send a money order to: PACLOAN @ 55 6th Street San Francisco, Ca 94103, and last you can call us directly at (415) 777-3877 with your Credit Card information. Once you receive your item and are satisfied please leave me feedback, and I will right away leave feedback for you . . .

Sounds like a pawn shop. If so they'll have detailed info that SFPD can use to track down the thief (and the rest of the scanners). Anyone local to the area that can pass this on to SFPD?

-AZ

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
It justs makes me sick to think that there are people out there that think that it is OK to take what they do not own. I work hard for what I have it's mine and it is not for the taking.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
you can bet that if it was stolen at the docks it was an organized crime operations - pure and simple.

Yeah but why mess around with such a niche item like a scanner? If you're gonna steal a shipment, don't steal something that there's only a few of on ebay and that has an easily traceable serial number. If I was a thief my target items would be CLOTHING - no serial number, easily sold online for BIG MONEY and almost totally untraceable.

Oh well - I guess if crooks were SMART they'd have JOBS.... :lol:

-AZ

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
If the auction ended early, you can bet SFPD might find an empty office when they get there, but to steal just 4 radios doesnt make sense

Septa3371CSX1

While I was looking at the eBay listing, I noticed several things. One, the seller has very high positive feedback. Two, other items offerred by the seller appear to be of the pawn shop variety (brand new items for dirt cheap prices). I don't know how much they expected to get for that PSR 500 but it is a good thing Mr. Blanton posted this on here because otherwise, someone on these forums could have easily came into possession of a stolen scanner. Gotta love how they advertised it as "used". Also, the serial numbers on all but one of the scanners are closely spaced together. Something tells me whoever stole it at the port wasn't thinking about the fact that these things can easily be traced with serial numbers that close. My thinking is that once the auctioneer realized the scanner was stolen, he took it down so no one would end up with it. Pawn shops often get things like this and don't really ask many questions.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Whoever is trying to sell that on ebay is not the brightest light bulb around, if its stolen why put the serial number up so everyone can see? Just goes to prove that criminals are not the sharpest knives in the drawer....

Just read and looked on ebay some more... Just realized its not a dumb seller, but a pawn shop.

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Organized crime stealing 4 measly radios???

You bet. One box from each container a night. Then farm it off to pawn shops and ebay sellers.

5 PSR-500's fit into a box... sounds to me like they lift one, they think the manufacturer won't notice or just chalk it up as leakage.

Trust me, someone that did this was a pro....

hoser147

I would bet that these were all different lots and there are more, big difference in the serial numbers, With Post 911 port security I would agree with Lindsay, There aint no rookies there.................Hoser

Eng74

Since GRE is in the SF Bay Area so I would bet that their shipments go into the Oakland Port. Oakland is a nice safe town I find it hard to belive that that would happen there. LOL

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
c'mon I would go walking around the port of oakland at 0300 carrying a wad of $100's and feel safe (hehehe)

Status
Not open for further replies.