Stolen Radios From Warren Co on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
From http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/contractors_admits_stealing_mo.html

Contractor admits swiping police-fire radios intended for 3 counties

Posted by cjrothma March 27, 2008 20:09PM

John P. Holmes said he didn't intend to swipe the more than three-dozen police and fire radios that went missing from the Warren County 911 Communications Center.

But when they ended up in his vehicle, the contractor from Pennsylvania couldn't resist the temptation to sell them to pay off his mounting bills, he told a judge today.

"When I noticed the equipment in the back of my truck, I failed as a responsible person to return them," said Holmes, 39, of Allentown, Pa., who pleaded guilty today to third-degree theft and agreed to pay back more than $58,000 for missing radios.

Holmes was hired last year to upgrade the fire sprinkler system as part of a renovation of the communications center in Franklin Township.

The 41 stolen radios, received through a grant, were to be disbursed in the Delaware River counties of Warren, Sussex and Hunterdon as part of a project to improve regional communication in the event of a natural disaster, authorities said.

The radios were reported missing on Nov. 2.

Radios were peddled on the eBay internet auction site, and some ended up as far away as Florida, authorities said.

Holmes told Superior Court Judge John Pursel that after he had fallen ill last year, he got behind in his electric and mortgage bill payments.

SCPD

QRT
kenisned said:
From http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/contractors_admits_stealing_mo.html

Contractor admits swiping police-fire radios intended for 3 counties

Posted by cjrothma March 27, 2008 20:09PM

John P. Holmes said he didn't intend to swipe the more than three-dozen police and fire radios that went missing from the Warren County 911 Communications Center.

But when they ended up in his vehicle, the contractor from Pennsylvania couldn't resist the temptation to sell them to pay off his mounting bills, he told a judge today.

"When I noticed the equipment in the back of my truck, I failed as a responsible person to return them," said Holmes, 39, of Allentown, Pa., who pleaded guilty today to third-degree theft and agreed to pay back more than $58,000 for missing radios.

Holmes was hired last year to upgrade the fire sprinkler system as part of a renovation of the communications center in Franklin Township.

The 41 stolen radios, received through a grant, were to be disbursed in the Delaware River counties of Warren, Sussex and Hunterdon as part of a project to improve regional communication in the event of a natural disaster, authorities said.

The radios were reported missing on Nov. 2.

Radios were peddled on the eBay internet auction site, and some ended up as far away as Florida, authorities said.

Holmes told Superior Court Judge John Pursel that after he had fallen ill last year, he got behind in his electric and mortgage bill payments.

I'm sure all these radios were entered into NCIC. Now if the person who purchased one of these radios reports it lost or stolen or a number of different scenarios and that agency tries to enter it into NCIC, it going to come back a stolen radio, and the person who bought it, is going to have to explain this to the cops.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah, they just "showed up" in the back of his truck. Uh huh, a transporter malfunction I suppose. "Bridge to engineering..."

emtbrat29

lol i think they did recover a few our tech support guy was crusing ebay one day and stumbled on the radios after they were reported missing our tac officer had a headache himself due to having to enter all of them us dispatchers had no idea untill it hit the news papers now all of the contractors are kept under close supervision and security measures were made a bit more strict it didnt help much the radios were in a area where there is no camera for 30 ft or in that room at all

SCPD

QRT
he said the radios just ended up in his van, How the hell did that happen? and he does not tell anyone he just sells them. i wonder what happened to the guy that was responsible for the radios that lost them.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
emtbrat29 said:
im not sure what disciplinary action was taken but this was a huge embarrassment for us

I don't think that the WCC should be embaressed.

A contractor/criminal took advantage of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.