Stonington useage is on 33.68 and 33.92?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dittrimd

Anyone know what the these frequencies are used for and about how much? I am too far away to listen and would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Mark

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
dittrimd said:
Anyone know what the these frequencies are used for and about how much? I am too far away to listen and would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Mark

33.92 is used by North Stonington fire as prmary channel. Dispatched by Groton Fire Alarm

33.68 is used by Station T - Stonington to dispatch town departments except Pawcatuck.

GFA911

North Stonington Fire Department is in the process of leaving 33.92 and going to a high band repeater similar to North Stonington Ambulance. 33.92 will be kept for mutual aid purposes though.

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
North Stonington

GFA911 said:
North Stonington Fire Department is in the process of leaving 33.92 and going to a high band repeater similar to North Stonington Ambulance. 33.92 will be kept for mutual aid purposes though.

Do you know which frequency they will using??

B.K.

GFA911

North Stonington

The ambulance uses a VHF high-band repeater on Wyassup Hill. The transmit frequency is 153.920/receive frequency is 155.925. The fire department is building out a VHF cross band repeater with a new tower going up on Wyassup Hill. They were recently licensed for 153.890, 151.235, and 159.330.

dittrimd

Thanks for all the info. So the way I am reading this is that no department will be using 33.92 as a primary operational frequency, this will only be a mutual aid frequency. I ask this becuase I see that there are several licenses on 33.92 for the towns of New London, Groton, Ledyard, Stonington and North Stonington.

All Stonington departments except Pawcatuck will continue to use 33.68 as their primary operational frequency. And just as a curiosity what frequency does Pawcatuck use as their primary if not 33.68. It has always baffled me how departments in the same town do not all utilize the same primary operational frequency. In Tolland County Ellington Fire is on 33.90, Ellington Ambulance is on 33.88 and Crystal Lake Fire operates on 33.44. Yikes I do not think this is the model for interoperability.

Thanks,

Mark

cg

Premium Subscriber
Actually, since those departments CAN all get on the same frequency when they work together, that is what is important. If one was 800, another VHF LO, and another UHF, all without the ability to crosspatch, that would be a bigger issue.

chris

GFA911

Stonington can be very confusing. Stonington Police (Station T) answers the 9-1-1 calls and dispatchs for Stonington Borough, Quiambuag, Wequetequock Fire Departments and Stonington Ambulance. Pawcatuck Fire Department is dispatched by Westerly Dispatch (Westerly Ambulance Corp, Westerly, Rhode Island) on 33.52. Old Mystic, Mystic Fire Departments and Mystic River Ambulance are dispatched by Groton Fire Alarm. Soooooo for a town with 17,000 residents you have 3 different dispatch centers handling the departments on many different frequencies.

In 1981 when GFA went on the air Old Mystic, Mystic, and Mystic River opted to be dispatched by GFA versus Station T because 1/2 of each district were in Groton, 1/2 in Stonington. Several years ago Pawcatuck Fire Department was having issues with Stonington Police and contracted for service with Westerly Ambulance to provide dispatching services. So that left SBFD, QFD, WFD, and Stonington Ambulance with Station T. There have been talks, officially and unofficially, for the remaining Stonington departments to join GFA but that really went nowhere.

As for North Stonington, the fire department and ambulance opted to stay on their own frequencies even though both have the capabilities to operate on each others systems. When we dispatch them, we end up simul-casting on both radios.

Last edited:

dittrimd

Thanks for the explanation and I thought my area was confusing. I am still trying to find out if anyone is using 33.92 as a primary frequency. I think I understand 33.68 but with this new VHF system will anyone be using 33.92.

Thanks

Mark

ledscan89

Premium Subscriber
dittrimd said:
Thanks for the explanation and I thought my area was confusing. I am still trying to find out if anyone is using 33.92 as a primary frequency. I think I understand 33.68 but with this new VHF system will anyone be using 33.92.

Thanks

Mark

33.92 is also used between dispatch centers. For example, if Station R in Ledyard is getting busy and needs a medic dispatched by Groton Fire Alarm, they will ask Fire Alarm using 33.92. It makes life easier sometimes.

Last edited:

GFA911

Ledyard no longer monitors 33.92. The main base is 33.58 and the back up base is set to 33.84. We have virtually no communications via radio with Ledyard anymore. Even when I worked there part time all communications was done by phone.

ledscan89

Premium Subscriber
True, although there is one dispatcher from Ledyard who does come over 33.92 occasionally, because he did it the other day, even though it wasn't anything important. And when I have my ambulance company's radio with me, we only have high band, so we can't monitor anything low, so you never know.

dittrimd

I know that there can be some differences based on what dispatcher is working. Depending on how well the dispatcher knows the radio system and their comfort level they can vary how they contact other dispatch centers. For instance I have heard TN and WW communicate on 33.78 the state wide mutual aid frequency, 33.90, 33.80 main dispatch frequency, 46.18 statewide fire interop freq etc. It varies greatly by dispatcher and dispatch center. If you have ever been to one of the bigger dispatch centers and seen all the radios they have available to them it can be crazy!!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.