Store and restaurant frequencies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smb3

Feed Provider
I’ve posted this thread once already and it seems to have vanished off the face of the earth, but here we go.

after scanning around shops and restaurants for a few years I have found some great frequencies that I want to share! These are mostly universal, they will work in any state or city. Also don’t transmit on these frequencies. It’s probably illegal, even if they can’t hear you because of privacy codes.

This is the main frequency used by almost all stores and restaurants. It’s channel 1 on those Motorola walkie talkies they use at restaurants. Locations I’ve heard chatter on this frequency:
Costco, Outback Steakhouse, Olive Garden, Kohl’s, and many more. Pretty much all businesses use this frequency for their radios. If I turn my radio on this frequency near a mall, or even just an area with lots of shops and restaurants it will be a constant chatter from many different businesses.

This is only used at Target to my knowledge. That’s all I use this for.

GMRS/FRS
My local chik-fil-a uses channel 7 for the people taking orders outdoors. It will probably be different for you, so scan around.
This is also used by the people at both ends of road work where they hold the STOP or SLOW signs. You could hear when they are about to let you go.

P.S if a moderator is deleting this, please dm me and tell me what’s wrong with it. I have posted this already but it never appeared on the forum. Could be error or could be a moderator didn’t accept it.

Hit_Factor

I’ve posted this thread once already and it seems to have vanished off the face of the earth, but here we go.

P.S if a moderator is deleting this, please dm me and tell me what’s wrong with it. I have posted this already but it never appeared on the forum. Could be error or could be a moderator didn’t accept it.

Probably not deleted, moderation pending due to being a new member is my guess.

Good first post BTW.

Last edited:

Station51

n1das

Target near me uses a low power repeater on 461.4875 w/DPL165. They use CLS series radios or a Target-specific variant of the CLS series radios to use the repeater.

The Motorola CLS radios you see in restaurants and many of these stores are very low end business radios. Just barely entry level. I like to call them business bubble packs. They are of the same (low) quality as Motorola Talkabout FRS bubble packs. The CLS series also uses Motorola's crappy X-Pand audio companding like the Talkabouts use. They are crap radios but they get the job done for retail use.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

n1das

The Motorola CLS1110 and CLS1410 UHF analog radios are what I have seen used most often in retail. These business bubble pack radios as I like to call them seem to be hugely popular.

CLS1110 = 1 Watt, 1 channel, UHF analog
CLS1410 = 1 Watt, 4 channels, UHF analog

The factory default frequencies are where I tend to find the most activity. Many users seem to use them as they come out of the box at the factory default settings like FRS.

Last edited:

n1das

Costco Wholesale near me uses Motorola DLR series 900MHz FHSS digital radios instead of the older UHF analog CLS series radios.

The DLR radios look similar to the CLS series radios but don't have any knobs or a channel display. The DLRs appear to be aimed at the same target market as the CLS series. The DLRs are related to the older DTR series 900MHz FHSS digital on-site business radios. The DTRs have a lot of features but often are too much radio for the average business radio user in a retail environment. The DLR series is Motorola's answer to that. DLR = Digital Lightweight Radio according to Motorola.

I have owned a fleet of DLR radios (sold to a friend for his business) and I currently own a fleet of DTR650 radios and a fleet of the new DTR700 radios. They work excellent and are my replacement for GMRS/FRS for local on-site simplex type use with family and friends.

The DLRs and the DTRs are digital radios and use frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) on the 902-928MHz band. They are not monitorable on any consumer grade receiver (scanner) so don't even bother trying. The only inexpensive and practical way to monitor them is to use another DLR or DTR radio, AND it has to be set to the same frequency hopset and talkgroup ID. The DLRs and the new DTR600/700 models also have a 4-digit Profile ID that also has to be correct. Fortunately many people seem to use them as they come out of the box at the factory default settings, like FRS. They can be made very secure by using Private talkgroups where the radios will only hear and talk to radios that are members of the Private talkgroup. They are easily monitored when operated on the default public talkgroups. That's how I identified Costco using them. So while technically not encrypted, they can be made very secure. Don't bother trying to listen to them on a scanner because you can't.

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Next time you go into a store or mall, scan these frequencies:

These are what many stores and businesses use; you will find a lot of activity on these in any large mall. Of course, they may be using other frequencies as well, but these listed above are very popular "low power" channels. (and of course, FRS channels too)

n1das

Add 464.5000 and 464.5500 to the list.

The most common usage I've found has been on:

Whenever I spot CLS radios in use, I check these 8 freqs first before searching others. 9 times out of 10 I find them on one of these freqs and don't need to search any further. 464.5500 w/PL67.0 appears to be the most used and abused freq in the CLS radios.

Walmart* uses VHF MURS and I usually find them on 154.5700 and 154.6000.

n1das

Add 464.5000 and 464.5500 to the list.

The most common usage I've found has been on:

Whenever I spot CLS radios in use, I check these 8 freqs first before searching others. 9 times out of 10 I find them on one of these freqs and don't need to search any further. 464.5500 w/PL67.0 appears to be the most used and abused freq in the CLS radios.

Walmart* uses VHF MURS and I usually find them on 154.5700 and 154.6000.

EDIT: 467.7625, not 467.8625 (typo).
I hate auto collect (auto correct).

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
I have some to add :)

Taco bell: 457.512 (one in my area is here)

Mcdonalds I have heard on 154.570/154.600 and KFC as well depending on the location and area.......

n1das

I've been paying less attention lately to the popular UHF business freqs used in restaurants and retail. It's old hat by now. I've been paying more attention to who is using Motorola DLR and DTR 900MHz FHSS digital on-site business radios.

The only inexpensive and practical way to monitor these is with another DLR or DTR radio, AND it has to be set up correctly. Fortunately many users of these radios seem to be using them right out of the box at the factory default settings, like FRS. They are easily monitored by another DLR or DTR radio on the default public groups. For DLRs or DTRs that have been custom programmed to set the Profile ID or set up private groups or use a different frequency hopset, forget it. While technically not encrypted, they can be made very secure.

I have been noticing increasing activity on these radios in my travels. I use the talkgroup scan feature in my DTR650 radios to scan for activity on the default public groups. I've read in another thread that a few Walmart* stores are using them instead of MURS.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I've been paying less attention lately to the popular UHF business freqs used in restaurants and retail. It's old hat by now. I've been paying more attention to who is using Motorola DLR and DTR 900MHz FHSS digital on-site business radios.

The only inexpensive and practical way to monitor these is with another DLR or DTR radio, AND it has to be set up correctly. Fortunately many users of these radios seem to be using them right out of the box at the factory default settings, like FRS. They are easily monitored by another DLR or DTR radio on the default public groups. For DLRs or DTRs that have been custom programmed to set the Profile ID or set up private groups or use a different frequency hopset, forget it. While technically not encrypted, they can be made very secure.

I have been noticing increasing activity on these radios in my travels. I use the talkgroup scan feature in my DTR650 radios to scan for activity on the default public groups. I've read in another thread that a few Walmart* stores are using them instead of MURS.

I could tell you 3 courts that use DLR/DTR out of the box settings for security, admin, custodian, jury details, jury translations and it's been a pratice for some time.

n1das

I could tell you 3 courts that use DLR/DTR out of the box settings for security, admin, custodian, jury details, jury translations and it's been a pratice for some time.
Not surprising at all. That could make for some interesting listening.

If I were in charge of the DLR/DTR radios they use, I would set them up on a Private group to secure them. The DLRs added the Profile ID feature to make it insanely easy to secure them right out of the box. Private groups are still the most secure as the radios will only hear and talk to radios that are members of the private group. Radios outside the group will not hear or talk to any radios in the group. The DLRs can do private groups identical to the DTRs and requires the CPS to set up.

Last edited:

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Not surprising at all. That could make for some interesting listening.

If I were in charge of the DLR/DTR radios they use, I would set them up on a Private group to secure them. The DLRs added the Profile ID feature to make it insanely easy to secure them right out of the box. Private groups are still the most secure as the radios will only hear and talk to radios that are members of the private group. Radios outside the group will not hear or talk to any radios in the group. The DLRs can do private groups identical to the DTRs and requires the CPS to set up.

Tried to have them on vhf p25 simplex with aes and they refused/declined. Claim it works way it is on 900mhz privacy. So theyll learn hard way I guess.

I'd like to get a couple of the dlr/dtr. They'd be handy for family trips along with a couple experiments in places I wanna see if they'll penitrate good in.

Status
Not open for further replies.