Stores in SE/ Metro Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gardengnome

Always big on buying local if possible. I am new to SWL. I wondering if there are any good stores for SWL items other than Radio Shack (which is sorely lacking). My googlefu and yellowpagesfu have not really turned up much.

Last edited:

pointman1177

Mostly CB Stores around here. My favorite is Joanne's CB Radio and Repair on Warren road in Dearborn heights between Beech Daily and Telegraph.

Palco as mentioned above

Electronic Connection off of Ford Road.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Personally, I don't go in to Electronic Connection. The woman behind the counter was snippy with me, so I figure they don't need my business. If you like them, feel free to spend your money with them.

What sort of store is Abel?

freqs

ABEL is a small shop but ive been going off and on for years for things .they sell Security Camera's Phone System's .Marine Equipment Electronic Parts .Connectors & wire Coax Police Scanners. 2 way radios CB Radios. Sound and Paging Systems .they do repairs to Radios and Computers .
the old K40 shop closed its doors that was at 14 mile near Van Dyke but heard a guy in New Haven had taken over his shop and works it out of his house off 26 mile .

dsw760

I would avoid Electronic Connection. The last time I was there they didn't have much of a selection and you will pay TOP DOLLAR for everything they sell.

Hooligan

I recommend Lafayette Electr... oops, they closed in the mid-1980s... I recommend Michigan Radi... oh dear, they closed about 5 years ago... OK, I recommend going to Ann Arbor & visiting Purchase R... oh %$#&, they closed in 2007!

(sigh...)

I'd been to Palco a few times & they were OK, but their HF radio focus was mostly on CBs. Ditto for Electronic Connection, and I too tried to avoid that place because of their high prices (are they still paranoid about after-hours use of their parking lot?).

Buying your (Asian-made) HF receiver locally is fine I suppose, as long as you don't let that force you to buy something that isn't exactly what would be best for you.

Instead of worrying about "buying local" yet, I'd put more thought into what HF receiver you'd like to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.