Storing scanner infromation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am having some real problems with storing my scanner information in a manner which is usable for me and allows me access to it.

Most of the time I spend scanning is when I am away from home, in the car and during my lunch breaks. I have tried a number of different ways of doing this but none of them really seem to work for me:

Paper based (display folder and exercise book): This was what I use for the first few years until I moved it all across to the computer. It allowed me to have total control over content and doing updates / changes was as easy as replacing a page. Issues were around having it with me when I needed it and ensuring that it stays safe. I had my first two log books destroyed by water which means I lost my very early loggings Sad.

PDA: I have trying this over the last few weeks, while it allows me nice and quick access I have found doing updates is a pain on the small on screen keyboard and keeping the battery charged is also hard.

Small netbook: This is another device I have been testing, issues are around battery life, size / weight and having to carry another device with me.

A database on my iPhone: This is something I was looking at a couple of months ago but was not 100% happy with it due to the fact I would have to retype all my information in manually and if my phone broke I found not have access to it as you could not easily export it.

At the moment I am looking at keeping all my files on my computer and printing out the important ones and storing them in a display folder as trying to go digital is not really working, any ideas / advice?

Paul

ampulman

Would I be correct in assuming that your scanner does not do alpha tags? If so, that can be a problem in itself.

I do quite a bit of scanning while parked in the Penney parking lot (waiting for the Mrs.).

The only info that I need with me (since all systems/groups/frequencies are tagged), is a chart of 10-codes for one township, and a breakdown of county police/fire groups. For these, I have created reduced-size cards with the info, laminated in plastic. These are small enough to fit in my case, so they're never in the way. Never need batteries.

Amp

SCPD

QRT
No my scanner does not have alpha tags but that is ok as I know what is programmed, my issue is when I am searching and I come across a new frequency being able to look up who it belongs to and keeping a record of when / where it was heard.

USAPatriot

Well, another gadget that would come in handy in an emergency, as in you're driving and can't stop to work, is a digital voice recorder. I carry one everywhere I go, an RCA Model# VR5220A. I think I paid like $24.99 for it at Frys and it has a USB plug built into it so I can just plug it into my computer and fetch the .wav file later. Mostly I use it to hum out new rhythms or riffs that pop into my head while out walking for later trial on my Les Paul. You could do the same with freqs and a summary of conversations heard. -Rod-

Kator

Premium Subscriber
Storing Info

I also use a digital recorder. It has a practical advantage over on-site text entry and you can add general comments - play-by-play. Then you can either store the digital file on your PC or transcribe the relevant details into a data-base, spread-sheet or into your scanner software for upload. Good luck.

hfxChris

Database Admin
Ditto. My voice recorder is always in my car. Which reminds me, I've got some observations on it I need to go over, I should probably bring it in the house some day :)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Keeping a log

1. I use software to program my scanners.

2. I maintain a DOC file with the exact same data that is programmed in each scanner, and contains a lot more information as well.

3. When traveling, I keep a printout of the DOC file and write updates directly on it. This file for my main area is now about 31 pages. I keep separate DOC files for each major area I visit/scan.

4. When I return home, or at a computer, I update the DOC file with my hand-written notes and when needed reprint the updated pages.

5. There are times when I don't have a copy of the DOC file handy, and then I'll just jot down information on scratch paper and update the DOC when I can.

This gives me comprehensive data for what I've programmed, what I've heard radio traffic on, and anything else worthy of noting.

SCPD

QRT
1. I use software to program my scanners.

2. I maintain a DOC file with the exact same data that is programmed in each scanner, and contains a lot more information as well.

3. When traveling, I keep a printout of the DOC file and write updates directly on it. This file for my main area is now about 31 pages. I keep separate DOC files for each major area I visit/scan.

4. When I return home, or at a computer, I update the DOC file with my hand-written notes and when needed reprint the updated pages.

5. There are times when I don't have a copy of the DOC file handy, and then I'll just jot down information on scratch paper and update the DOC when I can.

This gives me comprehensive data for what I've programmed, what I've heard radio traffic on, and anything else worthy of noting.

This sounds like a great idea and what I am going to do with my information.

Bill_White

A DOC file sounds like a great idea but,
I think you would be better to use a spreadsheet…
I’ve been doing it since Lotus 123 for DOS and
am now using MS Excel & Docs to go for my Palm.
Makes for an easy task of saving the master list, or part of it, as a CSV file
to manipulate it so it can be imported into various programming software.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
A DOC file sounds like a great idea but,
I think you would be better to use a spreadsheet…
I’ve been doing it since Lotus 123 for DOS and
am now using MS Excel & Docs to go for my Palm.
Makes for an easy task of saving the master list, or part of it, as a CSV file to manipulate it so it can be imported into various programming software.
I started doing this in the DOS days with just an ASCII text file. At some point I imported it into WORD and used things like strikeout and color coding of my text.

I find myself sometimes exporting the WORD doc back to a TXT file so I can sort on fields or manipulate in some way not friendly to do in Word. I might add here that I have some very powerful software tools under DOS, many that I wrote myself. So this is what works best for me.

If the person who wants to do this is an accountant, they will probably be more comfortable in a program like Excel. Each of us will have different programs that we can drive to do what we want. While the CSV output option sounds nice, I would personally never use it. I end up doing more "tracking" with the scanner itself. So I end up downloading from the scanner back into the software, rather than exporting from the DOC file. Again, it is what works for me.

JINXR

I just use a spreadsheet and keep it on my Android phone. Works perfect. If I need to modify it, I just load it up on the computer.

K2GOG

what about trying a spreadsheet and saving it in google documents. you can also store your files for what ever softtware you use. You should be able to access this on most any good mobile device and unless google blows up, never have to worry about losing your info.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
FWIW I myself used an old PDA. eBay has a ton. Alos, some have a built in camera. Great for those emergency captures or documating your MVA becuse you wern't paying attention. But sense I hired a beautiful blond secretary, there's no need! :lol: (Now if you excuse me, I have dimples to pick up off the floor. :D )

PDA: I have trying this over the last few weeks, while it allows me nice and quick access I have found doing updates is a pain on the small on screen keyboard and keeping the battery charged is also hard.

They make portable keyboards. PDA keyboard, Cell Phones PDAs, Computers Networking. Great deals on eBay!

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I just use my little ol' cell phone! All those extra memories come in handy,and I never call anyone so it works out great.
n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.