Storm + Antenna On Tower = No More Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

My scanner antenna was on my tower about 20 feet up and we had a storm last tuesday and a tree limb hit it and broke it, Broke the center out of it..So NOW, I am going to have to get a replacement..I am wanting to listen within a 40-50 mile radius of my location. My other one was an older one and would not pull this task off...My AM CB antenna was doing a better job than my scanner antenna was...Therefore I am looking to purchase a new scanner antenna that will pick up a max range preferbly 30 miles at the LEAST...Are there any that will acomplish this task? Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open for ideas..What about cable? What should I use? I'm currently using cable from Radio Shack, Thin Stuff.. Ideas Anyone?

Airdorn

Get some of that LMR-400 cable.. its expensive but worth it.

Get 2 antennas... One for the VHF/UHF stuff, and one for the 800Mhz stuff like public safety Motorola trunks, etc.

For the UHF/VHF, maybe one of those Scantennas (I have that), or I hear people always talking about Discones.

Whatever you get, get them outside and up as high as possible.. but I think you already knew that, hehe.

Here's a couple of pics of my antennas.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. That's just info I've gleaned recently from these forums. Good luck!

Airdorn

Attachments

• ant_800mhz.jpg
    ant_800mhz.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 614
  • scantenna1.jpg
    scantenna1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,584

btritch

Ok....

Airdorn said:
Get some of that LMR-400 cable.. its expensive but worth it.

Get 2 antennas... One for the VHF/UHF stuff, and one for the 800Mhz stuff like public safety Motorola trunks, etc.

For the UHF/VHF, maybe one of those Scantennas (I have that), or I hear people always talking about Discones.

Whatever you get, get them outside and up as high as possible.. but I think you already knew that, hehe.

Here's a couple of pics of my antennas.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. That's just info I've gleaned recently from these forums. Good luck!

Airdorn

Sounds Good, What's the little on on the pipe? Mobile 800 mhz? I'm not really worried about 800 mhz. I don't have much here that is 800, just the power company's LTR system. That's about it, One the FD's are fixing to switch later on I think. How do I use both antennae on one scanner? T splitter?

hoser147

The Scantenna is the one on the mast pole and is good on all bands, and not that expensive. actually its one of my favorites and can be had from 26 bucks and up to about 50 all the same antenna. Comes with everything you need except your mast pipe...........Hoser

btritch

hoser147 said:
The Scantenna is the one on the mast pole and is good on all bands, and not that expensive. actually its one of my favorites and can be had from 26 bucks and up to about 50 all the same antenna. Comes with everything you need except your mast pipe...........Hoser

Well, I'll be mounting it on a tower..That's what I have.. Probably the Mast Pole at the top, also, Where can one be gotten online?

Hmmm.. Wonder what the mileage range is?

Thanks for the Reply though..

Airdorn

btritch said:
Sounds Good, What's the little on on the pipe? Mobile 800 mhz? I'm not really worried about 800 mhz. I don't have much here that is 800, just the power company's LTR system. That's about it, One the FD's are fixing to switch later on I think. How do I use both antennae on one scanner? T splitter?

The little one on the pipe is for 800Mhz trunking, though it does pretty well for everything. As Hoser said, the Scantenna does well for everything, but better in the VHF/UHF stuff.

Your sig says you are northeast Arkansas. (I'm in Western, TN - Memphis area) Does that mean you're around Jonesboro and Blytheville? Both have Motorola type II trunks for their public safety don't they? Then there's that AWIN system Arkansas is implementing or has implemented....

(Picture attached below)

Anyway, as for using 2 antennas, I just ran both antennas into my radio room. I mounted an aluminum L-bracket, punched some holes in it and installed a couple of bulkhead-mount BNC couplers. The antenna lead-ins go in the top (see picture), and my patch cable goes in the bottom, and then to the scanner.

I know there's a mess of adapters there in that pic, but I've compared that arrangement to just going straight-into the scanner and I can't perceive any difference at all, and neither can the S-meter on the scanner.

Yeah, yeah.. I know! That one lead-in looks like crap. That's a temporary end until my order from Digi-Key comes in. :)

Airdorn

Attachments

• patch1.jpg
    patch1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 404

btritch

Yes

Yes, I AM around Jonesboro/Blytheville Area, Paragould To be exact...Also, Yes, They HAVE already implemented the AWIN system, Jonesboro City, Craighead County, Numerous Other Counties in the state and The Highway Police, Highway Department, and State Police are already using it.>Within 4 years we will be here and within 5 years, I hear the ENTIRE STATE OF ARKANSAS will be AWIN DIGITAL TRUNKED...

I don't have much in the 800mhz range I listen too...I think a scantenna would do fine.. About 40 feet up anyway...Where Do I get one? What kind of cable should I use??

Status
Not open for further replies.