Storm Chase Frequencies..

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JW

Planning a little road trip next year to do some amateur chasing. I'm going to spend the rest of this year brushing up on spotter training and such. I won't be relying on radio traffic as much as I will be my own forecasting and radar software.

What are some good frequencies to program in? Primarily will be in Kansas/Oklahoma.

Amateur Radio Simplex frequencies?
GMRS/FRS/MURS?
Kansas K-Link Amateur Radio?
Kan-Okla Intertie Amateur Radio?
Common Fire/EMS/Police frequencies?

Does the NSSL still do DOW and spotter research? I recall seeing frequencies for them, can't find them for some reason.

nd5y

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
They had a small program running the DOW's and spotters last year, but now the University's would be more likely to run these super expensive set ups with backing of NWS/NSSL/SPC. Now you can also find some of the bigger well funded television stations running this kind of set up including helicopters. Ask Reed Timmer about how wild it was with CH 4 when he was riding the Dominators out with like 5 or 6 other spotter/chasers and the helo. Of course Reed is solo from any official affiliation with any TV station now, and made history last season with his rocket launched probes into a tornado. But yes, keep the SKYWARN, ARES, nets in a set up in your scanner. They can be very interesting monitoring. And if your wanting to get into being a spotter, check out your local NWS offices, and the MetED online courses. If you want to take it further, take the full battery of MetED Mesoscale Meteorology courses. I did, its worth it!

KK4JW

They had a small program running the DOW's and spotters last year, but now the University's would be more likely to run these super expensive set ups with backing of NWS/NSSL/SPC. Now you can also find some of the bigger well funded television stations running this kind of set up including helicopters. Ask Reed Timmer about how wild it was with CH 4 when he was riding the Dominators out with like 5 or 6 other spotter/chasers and the helo. Of course Reed is solo from any official affiliation with any TV station now, and made history last season with his rocket launched probes into a tornado. But yes, keep the SKYWARN, ARES, nets in a set up in your scanner. They can be very interesting monitoring. And if your wanting to get into being a spotter, check out your local NWS offices, and the MetED online courses. If you want to take it further, take the full battery of MetED Mesoscale Meteorology courses. I did, its worth it!

Thanks for the info. I'll load it up with mostly amateur radio stuff, leave a bank for GMRS, and maybe fill the rest with random FM public service frequencies for the smaller towns and such.

I don't really intend to utilize the scanner as a guide, as much as just another form of obtaining bits of information or whatnot. I've taken several NWS spotter classes. I'd like to look into the more advanced stuff that you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.