Storm Chaser arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

af5rn

JoeyC said:
Sorry, they don't. If a 50 year old man LEGALLY marries a 14 yr old in whatever jurisdiction you speak of, and moves to Texas and has sex with the 14 year old, he is NOT protected by the fact that he is married in some other jurisdiction. He's STILL breaking Texas law and will face the consequences regardless. :roll:
And exactly how long were you a peace officer in Texas?

You're wrong. Pull up the Texas penal code and see for yourself.

EDIT: Sorry, Lou. I didn't see that last post in time.

firetaz834

SAR2401 said:
As I understand it, Crane County was under a tornado warning at the time. Does it not seem reasonable that deputies would try to move people off public roads (whether it be a road or a rest area) and get them to go to some place of safety, like any substantially constructed building? While the storm chasers may have been conducting a business, it was the deputy's job to try to protect human life. If there was a line up of other vehicles behind the van seen in the video, all the more reason to get them to move out of the area. As has already been written, without seeing the whole video, I am merely speculating, as are the rest of us here.

Just as a corollary question, what do you suppose the reaction would have been if the deputy had just driven past this group of people, waved, and 10 minutes later, they were all killed by a tornado? Think he'd be in any trouble then? I'd much rather defend an arrest that I thought was justified based on the law and circumstances than have the lives of people I might have saved on my conscience for the rest of my life.

Well, as I've been taught in a tornado warning, your susposed to seek a secure structure and if none is found then your suposed to find the lowest lying area. And, how would it have gone if that deputy had told them to move on and 10 minutes later they were all killed because the deptuty had told them to leave in there vehicles.

zguy1243

Simple facts:

There are cops that are asses.

There are citizens that cops come in contact with that are asses.

What do ya do? Well if I was a judge I would laugh in these guys face. The arrest wasnt worth it and was a waste of the citizens tax money. The officer should have been putting his self to good use and informing citizens that needed info about the approaching tornado or doing other PUBLIC SERVICE duties. The situation is obvious. I think if the storm chaser threw a fit on the side of the road and the cop was acting like a kid also it seems they are both dumb*sses and should be discounted as waste of time.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
firetaz834 said:
Well, as I've been taught in a tornado warning, your susposed to seek a secure structure and if none is found then your suposed to find the lowest lying area.

Not sure if you are familiar with that area - but there are no secure structures there. Or within a mile. Or literally within 10 miles. The deputy did not move them along for their safety. He didn't want a storm chaser in that rest area. Plain and simple.

And, how would it have gone if that deputy had told them to move on and 10 minutes later they were all killed because the deptuty had told them to leave in there vehicles.

Well, first remember that this was a trained storm spotter. He knew that the threat had passed, so that's why he pulled off to let the people see the storm. So that couldn't happen.

But let's say it did happen. The deputy would not be at fault. They were in a public rest area on a public road. There is no obligation for the deputy to tell them to leave. And if they did -- the point goes back to WHERE WOULD THEY GO?!?!? There literally is no structures out there for MILES. Do a googlemap search on Crane, TX - then zoom out. There are crane derricks. That's it. I certainly don't want to be under one of those in a windstorm!

mkewman

headline: STORM CHASERS AND MEMBERS OF THE MEDIA KILLED BY STORM AFTER DEPUTY DRIVES AWAY.

average americans response? "Who gives a s^!t???" those people sat out there, fully knowing the dangers they faced. that logic doesn't hold any water.

and as for the "complaints against officers are futile unless you're black" comment, i'd like to thank you for showing how truly ignorant you are. what exactly are you trying to insinuate? that the accusations by black people are false? complaints are only looked at if black people submit them?

it's not the job of a police officer to babysit everyone. it's their job to ENFORCE THE LAW, i hope this officer is punished.

i'm not going to even touch the off topic comment... eww.

Last edited:

af5rn

mkewman said:
and as for the "complaints against officers are futile unless you're black" comment, i'd like to thank you for showing how truly ignorant you are. what exactly are you trying to insinuate? that the accusations by black people are false?
I made absolutely no characterisations regarding the validity of anyone's complaints. Congratulations. You just outdid my ignorance with your own epic ignorance by ASSuming I think the same racist way that you do, cracker boy. As an African American, I take offence to such stereotypical assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.