Storm spotter / chasers on DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the DMR talkgroups listed on Brandmeister / DMR for Severe weather / skywarn / wx spotting / Ares and Races are used ? If so does anyone have information on some of the more active talk groups? I am aware that these tkgps are separated by states and counties so not all would be active at one time. I'm just posting this question as fact finding as to which one if any are actually used ever ?

kd8reh

we use dmr along with analog operations to allow multi county coordination between skywarn groups. we also use dmr simplex in the field.

twjr80

Feed Provider
Most spotter Skywarn/RACES/ARES groups use analog. Even while out chasing, I rarely hear others using DMR for spotting/chasing.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Cleveland Ohio Skywarn uses DMR TG313932, but it is just to supplement the 6m backbone.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the all the replies. I am also familiar with the PI-Star Database directory of talkgroups. That's actually where my post originating from. There are so many talkgroups labeled skywarn , races and even storm spotter that I was curious if anyone actually can confirm if any of those are active in any region listed. I wanted to monitor radio traffic during severe weather events. I'm fortunate to have an Rfinder dmr radio which allows me to scan DMR talkgroups. I can input many talksgroups for multiple regions using DMRoIP. To sum it up does anyone know of any specific talkgroups frequently used with in a particular area, example Tornado alley or known prone severe weather areas. Thank you again.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
My 2 Chaser groups that I run here in the Carolinas use Zello for our primary comms, with CB and Ham/GMRS as back-up. For my Ham Skywarn group we use VHF Analog ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.