Story County Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkramm

Is Story County still in the build stage?
I can find not other info other than the frequencies.
Seem to be able to receive the control channel in eastern Benton Co.
Thanks
Brian

N0ZJT

Database Admin
Yes, it's in the early build stage. Storycomm is still looking for additional tower sites, but the Wallace Hall control channel was on the air when I went through there. In my short time monitoring, I didn't hear any traffic on the Wallace or Ames SARA sites.

Storycomm board minutes can be found at Agenda Center

bkramm

Thanks. That is what I expected, no traffic yet.
Will continue to leave it in the scanner.
I think that I am receiving the Ames site.

watchtower6

Premium Subscriber
1st a big thanks to those posting the site info.
2nd seems they are still testing the site. Mainly hear radio techs using talk group 58599 for testing so far.

watchtower6

Premium Subscriber
Also when this new system was announced the press mentioned a 4 or 5 site system at buildout. The towns of Gilbert, Cambridge and maybe Zearing were mentioned? I'm just curious if anyone detects sites besides the Wallace Tower are active because signal strength north of Ames is particularly strong. If this is all coming from the single new site, its already more powerful than the old Story County or Ames Electronic Engineering systems in the rural area north of Ames.

watchtower6

Premium Subscriber
CyRide being heard today. Buses on 58557 and Supervisors/Admin on 58558. Not hearing them on the old system but with the holiday I don't know if this is just a test of the new radios or full transition.

N0ZJT

Database Admin
According to RACOM's Facebook page, Iowa State University Police starting using the SARA system at 8AM this morning.

Last edited:

watchtower6

Premium Subscriber
ISU PD Dispatch or Main channel is 58573. The Info channel is 58572. Talk group 58574 is not confirmed yet; could be either a Tac channel for PD or a Security Group channel.

watchtower6

Premium Subscriber
Ames PD 58567 is the former "TAC" channel used by Community Service Officers and Parking Enforcement.

watchtower6

Premium Subscriber
Ames Fire Department Channel 1 is 58560 used for both Dispatching and Fire Ops.
As of today, Mary Greeley Ambulances have not left the old system yet. There is testing on talk group 58561 but can not confirm yet who will be assigned that group. Suspect it will be either EMS/Ambulances or a Fire Tac group.

TJK50010

Feed Provider

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
Looking for someone to setup a new Broadcastify stream for Ames. $20 SDR and a cheap Windows PC.

I'm in Huxley and could probably host it. I'll look into it a little bit next week when I have more time. I didn't watch the video though... is this somewhat simple to set up?

TJK50010

Feed Provider
Yeah, very easy to setup. Just need a $20 SDR USB, basic windows desktop (Win 7 desktop $20 at ISU surplus), and a reliable internet connection. You can setup a free Broadcastify stream (Ames Police and Fire), or I can apply for the stream and connect remotely to set everything up for you.

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
Yeah, very easy to setup. Just need a $20 SDR USB, basic windows desktop (Win 7 desktop $20 at ISU surplus), and a reliable internet connection. You can setup a free Broadcastify stream (Ames Police and Fire), or I can apply for the stream and connect remotely to set everything up for you.

I just bought this and it should be here sometime btwn Monday and Wednesday. That will work perfect for me. I will give it a go when I can and if I have any issues I'll PM you. I run the Story County feed and the DOT D1 feed so no worries on that end. Time to go find one of those old laptops I've hoarded for years now...... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.