Strange Noise..Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
So what i thought before that was causing my interference, was not, even thou after plugging in a usb charge cord the noise came back, after i took it out it did disappear, but now the noise seems to have re-appeared. I spent the whole day yesterday, trying to figure out what the heck it is but i am baffled.My question is what type of cable would i use to record the noise from my Icom to the computer, so i can upload it here so I can get opions or perhaps a resolution to what this noise is. My receiver is a Icom R71A. Is it just a standard USB data transfer cable or no? I do have the Pro-2096 cable but i assume that will not work correct?

brandon

Database Admin
Hi there. You need a 3.5mm (1/8 inch) Stereo Cable connected from the record output/or headphones jack from the radio to the line-in (or microphone-in) on the back of your computer. For software I would use ScanRec since it's free.

Last edited:

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
i got the cord, but now the mystery noise is gone lol go figure, when it comes back i will record then post.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
OK I now have the sound recorded, but i see that the forum does not support.wav files to be uploaded? How can i upload my sound file?

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
yes it is on the 2899 usb, 5550 usb and faintly on the 11175 USB, it is more stronger on the lower freq, and between 5000,and 6000 USB

ffemt601

The first thing to note is that the frequencies that you have posted are close to the 2nd and 3rd harmonics of the original sound. Thus if its loudest on the first frequency then it is something in that range. Have you tried running the receiver in another room or perhaps the backyard to isolate the issue?

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
The first thing to note is that the frequencies that you have posted are close to the 2nd and 3rd harmonics of the original sound. Thus if its loudest on the first frequency then it is something in that range. Have you tried running the receiver in another room or perhaps the backyard to isolate the issue?

Yes have tried that, this noise it comes and goes, and i can't really pin it down. What i thought it was , it wasn't which was a usb phone charger left plugged into the comp. It seems to be very strong in the high 2800's and to about 3300 of the upperside band, then it becomes strong again in the 5300- 5800 Upper side band. Then i can faintly hear it on the mid 11000 upper side band. the static i can put up with, but what sounds like data burts, cannot. On my Icom R71A the signal bar for this strange noise is about in the midle of 7 and 9 S meter and between 2 and 3 for the signal. Its really frustrating trying to figure out what this noise is. Tried even googling a noise site, that would perhaps, give me sound audio's of different interference, but of course no luck :-(

ffemt601

I agree that it is something very digital in nature and data at that. Do you have a tivo or something that phones home from time to time to update?

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
no nothing like that, Only thing remotely would be my dvr but unplugged it made no difference, shut off the cable box, still same and yes unplugged it and even moved it to a diff room. I dunno if this is something outside or inside.

ffemt601

Are you using an external antenna or are you using a whip on the back of the receiver?

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
using a longwire outside strung between 2 trees then to right side upper corner of roof, then into the shack.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
ok just to update, took the ICOM outside and did a process of elimination with no progress, here is what i did, disconnected the longwire, noise still their, took out the coax, noise gone, however, put my finger on the back of the antenna plug in, noise comes back, tried just attaching a single lowgrade wire into the antenna hole, noise came back. The sound does not really seem to disappear, whether the ICOM is outside or in, so I am at aloss. Like i say some days, that noise is not their, and other days it is, i don't get it. The million dollar question here, My ICOM is not on the verge of going is it? Any help or guidance for this would be great, if you want send me a private message. Thanks chris

woody_46

Your radio is fine Chris. I'm thinking you are getting interference from a wifi network nearby if you don't live in the county. The routers are notorious for creating interference. Mine creates digital noise,and what seems like dead carriers throughout the HF spectrum. When the kids use their laptop in the house it creates white noise across the HF band at S-9. Good luck.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Ok thanks, ya i took the radio over to my dads place across town, noise was gone so good to see its not the radio. I didn't think it was I am still very new to this HF stuff, been reading and reading about this stuff. Neighbours i assume them must have a wifi network. I guess then my next question would be is their anyway of possibly reducing this interference? I do have a sloper antenna coming in next week, which will be replacing my homemade antenna , so i am hoping that will eliminate some of the noise. I know its prob wishfull thinking.

woody_46

The sloper may help a bit if it uses coax for a lead-in, and is mounted away from buildings, and electrical sources(powerlines). I alternate back and forth between a sloper and a vertical. Sometimes the vertical eliminates some noise, or vice versa. There are noise cancellers on the market such as the MFJ 1026?, but I didn't have much luck with it. Some sources of interference have to be lived with.

Status
Not open for further replies.