Strange noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
I am pretty sure what i am hearing is interfernce from somewhere, but figured i would ask the experts. What I have is a Icom R75A with a longwire outside. Here just recently (past couple of days) I have been getting some type of noise on the 2899 , then on 5689, and some of the 6000 USB band. What it sounds like is windblowing with some type of data communication, that sort of sounds like a laser gun or a computer generating data. It seems to cover most of 2000, some of 5600 USB. I would upload the noise here to the site, but i have nothing to run my Icom to the computer with. Just maybe some ideas, on where i could possibly locate this irritating noise, and it also blocks out transmissions as well., nothing has changed ont he inside of the house since setup, tried re-locating the unit, but no change, not sure if this will help but i unplugged the antenna, and of course noise goes away, if i put my finger on the back end of the antenna plug in, then the noise somewhat comes back but of course very faint. Any ideas?

SonicN

I am pretty sure what i am hearing is interfernce from somewhere, but figured i would ask the experts. What I have is a Icom R75A with a longwire outside. Here just recently (past couple of days) I have been getting some type of noise on the 2899 , then on 5689, and some of the 6000 USB band. What it sounds like is windblowing with some type of data communication, that sort of sounds like a laser gun or a computer generating data. It seems to cover most of 2000, some of 5600 USB. I would upload the noise here to the site, but i have nothing to run my Icom to the computer with. Just maybe some ideas, on where i could possibly locate this irritating noise, and it also blocks out transmissions as well., nothing has changed ont he inside of the house since setup, tried re-locating the unit, but no change, not sure if this will help but i unplugged the antenna, and of course noise goes away, if i put my finger on the back end of the antenna plug in, then the noise somewhat comes back but of course very faint. Any ideas?

Is it like a slow laser-show-sound ? And is it there all the time ? I was talking on 14mhz a few days ago, and both me, and the person I talked with in UK, heard this strange radar-looking sound, but we had no idea what it was ..

Hooligan

Alas, here in my space-time reality cubby-hole, good guys & bad guys don't really have laser guns, so I cannot conceptualize the sound you're trying to describe.

It'd really help if you could upload a sample of the audio. The cable to run your Icom to the computer should cost under $5.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Many new electronic devices have computers of some sort controlling them. Many of these computers are capable of generating substantial amounts of RF interference. Your description is entirely too vague to be of use, and unless it's an identifiable form of modulation on a legitimate signal, no one here is going to be able to identify what exactly it is.

So, it becomes an easter egg hunt trying to find it.

You can also see the similar thread in this forum discussing the same problem that someone else had. Finding and correcting it can be almost hopeless, but learning to live with it is not.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Is it like a slow laser-show-sound ? And is it there all the time ? I was talking on 14mhz a few days ago, and both me, and the person I talked with in UK, heard this strange radar-looking sound, but we had no idea what it was ..

No it is a fast paced sound. In regards to the answers below i know its vague, it does happen every day does not matter time , like i say it only appears on the 2600-3000 USB and then on the 5000-6500 USB, mainly strong on the Aero traffic channels to be percise. I'll try and see if i can find a cable to upload the audio file. We have no radio shacks in canada, so i would assume "the Source" which is equivalent to radioshack.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Just to enlightin on this i did find the culprit, was a data transfer cable that was left plugged into my computer for a camera. So to confirm, i plugged it back in sure enough the noise showed up again. Unreal on how sensitive HF is...

Status
Not open for further replies.