• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 Strange Pulsing White Noise on all channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECetron

All of a sudden, my XTS 5000 has started to act strange on receive. Instead of nice clear audio, I get the audio in the background somewhat obscured by a Pulsing White Noise/Static. The pulsing is reminiscent of the interference patterns I remember when tuning a trumpet against a tone generator or when flying a prop plane where the engines or out of sync. I have reprogrammed twice to no avail. I have tried with Remote Commander mic and without. I have tried 3 different antennas. I have tried two different batteries (though both Impress Li-ion). I have tried it with scan on and with scan off. Nothing seems to work. I though most of the AGC settings where from transmit so not sure if that would help. And it happens on repeater and direct channels.

XTS is a VHF Model II and the display shows nothing amiss when this happens. The 'pulse' rate seems to be around 3 per second. It is not a squelch issue as the XTS only opens when it should. And I have 3 radios right next to the XTS that work perfectly. Transmit seems to work correctly. I am at a loss ... but am leaning to an alignment. Though why it would go from spot on to way off over the course of 1 day has me confused.

Any suggestions to try next? And potentially a solid Moto shop to do the alignment in Jersey Shore area?

wgbecks

On the off chance your radio is off frequency, you might fire up the Astro 25 Tuner program and run the Reference Oscillator alignment under the Transmitter Alignment section. On VHF models, this is the only alignment point available in Tuner and applies and is common to both the transmitter and to the receiver VCO/PLL chain.

If the reference oscillator adjustment checks out, then I would connect the radio to a service monitor or signal generator to determine if this behavior is consistent regardless of receiving off-air or from your test instruments.

ECetron

Did the agency you are listening to recently move to a simulcast system? Did you recently change antennas or location?

Nope -- It is happening on all channels -- and across at least 3 Agencies... Even including USCG 16..

wowologist

Certifiable
Did you feed it after midnight....well there ya go....those gremlins....happens every time.

ECetron

Bad RF board. Swap it out. the XTS5000s are now in their senior years. We're seeing more of them die sudden deaths. Makes sense, many are 15-18 years old.
Not cost effective unfortunately -- same with visit to the bench. Unfortunately the cost for repair/new RF board is more expensive than buying a replacement on Ebay. Sad state of affairs but accurate nonetheless... So I will put this one away for spare parts and go get another. I'd rather go with an APX but even used they are 3 to 4 times as expensive.

That said, thanks to all here for your assistance

WB9YBM

All of a sudden, my XTS 5000 has started to act strange on receive. Instead of nice clear audio, I get the audio in the background somewhat obscured by a Pulsing White Noise/Static.

Pulsing indicates some kind of clock pulse coming from somewhere; with computers becoming increasingly faster, they're operating at some pretty high frequencies where either the actual or harmonic of their clock pulses are heard on the air. Admittedly as computers have gotten better the noise they spew isn't as bad as it used to be, it can still happen (that's why I've got to keep my radios at least one to two feet away from my laptop). (The worst luck I ever had was about forty years ago when I tried to use an Apple to decode RTTY--that computer kicked out so much hash I couldn't decode a damn thing--and I was using an outdoor antenna on a good grade ham transceiver!)

Status
Not open for further replies.