Strange Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusker305

Hi Folks,
At work we were listening to one of the guys new BC 396. The digital systems sounded like someone was shaking the person speaking. All the digital channels in Michigan sounded like this. Is this normal on digital systems or is something not set right. Analogue stiff sounded normal, well much sharper than normal, but no earth quake action.

cpuerror

The new 2.0 firmware is supposed to improve sound quality. Beyond that there is always kind of an underwater sound with digital systems, just a byproduct of compression.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
No, it isn't a by-product of compression. It is a by-product of Uniden's half-assed implementation.

Listen with any real system radio, and you won't hear any under-water sounds at all.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
No, it isn't a by-product of compression. It is a by-product of Uniden's half-assed implementation.

Listen with any real system radio, and you won't hear any under-water sounds at all.

Same (for the most part) while listening with a Pro-96/2096. No AGC settings to tinker with. No P25 settings to mess with. It just works. Don't get me wrong, it isn't perfect, but I sure like the no-fiddle factor.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I haven't fiddled with my 396 aside from some tweaks I posted earlier. I just wish you could set AGC on/off per system instead of globally.

tusker305

That is true, I don't get this on system radios. So if it is a radio problem, and since these rigs are no longer "scanners" but little computers that decode radio signals flying through thin air ( by thin air I mean other than the Windsor and GTA areas ). And since guys like CPUERROR can write great programs to program these little computers. Why are all the computer folks not writing FIRMWARE? You write a firmware that will work the radio, watch the kids, do the dishes, and cut the grass. I will surely pry a few bucks out of the pocket. I would do this myself, but as far as programming computers I'm as dumb as a bag of hair. So get on it guys, the grass and dishes are waiting.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Lol easier said then done Tusker, been trying to mess around with that stuff for the past 6 months just using simple java and C++ Takes time my friend

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine had a grand plan to re-write the firmware for a Motorola MTX2000 (UHF Portable) so it would do FPP (programmable from the keypad). He had reverse engineered everything he needed and was able to get a working source code of the firmware. Once he realized how much of a PITA it would be, he pretty much gave up. That, and I showed him the JT1000 so he pretty much threw in the towel.

Point being, you no doubt COULD write custom firmware - but why? Yes, it would be VERY nice for someone to be able to listen to ProVoice, AEGIS, OpenSky, TRBO etc... but is it really worth all the headaches when more often than not, it is easier (and probably cheaper) to just buy a 'real' radio to listen?

Status
Not open for further replies.