strange signal in mont tremblant

Status
Not open for further replies.

monstermatt2

so there i was, sitting in my hotel room and searching every frequency (25-500) to see what i could pick up in the mountains, but what caught my attention is a tv signal on 137.7650, (very weak signal) so, as i was listening for a while, it came out as Teletoon West. but the weird part is that teletoon is only available only on cable tv or satellite, it doesn't broadcast over antenna tv, so i did some searching on RR for 137.7650 around here, and i found nothing, ghost signal maby?? :D

heres the vid i took of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXndHfXK7pU

thought u might wanna hear my story ;)

Last edited:

ecps92

Cable TV leakage
http://eaglecomtronics.com/Cable_Television_Channel_-_Frequency_Chart.pdf

Generally any TV interference that ends at .7500 +/- is cable TV (the audio carrier) You found TV-16, my local problems always are TV-66 (TV Land) at 467.7500 (Business/CruiseShip band)

so there i was, sitting in my hotel room and searching every frequency (25-500) to see what i could pick up in the mountains, but what caught my attention is a tv signal on 137.7650, (very weak signal) so, as i was listening for a while, it came out as Teletoon West. but the weird part is that teletoon is only available only on cable tv or satellite, it doesn't broadcast over antenna tv, so i did some searching on RR for 137.7650 around here, and i found nothing, ghost signal maby?? :D

heres the vid i took of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXndHfXK7pU

thought u might wanna hear my story ;)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Maybe one of those low powered TV rebroadcasters. You put them on a TV in your home that has cable, to send audio/video to a TV in another part of your home that doesn't have cable.

monstermatt2

probably not a tv rebroadcasters, but,

at the hotel i was at, they get there tv from a cable provider, then they have a tv transmitter probably in the basement to bring all the tv channels to every room in the hotel, (like hotel info on CH. 1, hotel events on CH. 2. hotel tv guide with their custom channels on CH. 3, and local tv stations from CH 4 and up, so maby theres a leakage in there transmitter?? who knows

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
More than likely, leakage in the coaxial cable, or a bad connector.

On my way home from work, there is a utility pole I drive past. Every time I would pass it, my VHF radio would go nuts on our primary channel. Same pole, same location, same frequency. It's a leaky cable TV coax connection. Sloppy install or damaged at some point.

A knowledgeable installer will understand why quality components and proper installation are necessary. Occasionally someone will try and "fix" it themselves. They'll often use cheap/low grade parts, improperly installed connectors, etc. and cause all kinds of issues.

Case in point: I work at a large research university. We have our own internal cable TV system. One of the students wanted to move his TV and used some #14 stranded wire he found to do it. He stuffed one end of the wire into the F connector at the wall, and the other end into the TV. Worked well enough in his mind, he got the channels he wanted.
Huge issue was that he created an antenna that was leaking the cable TV coax signal. While normally a very localized problem, we have an approach path for a very major international airport right over top of us. Aircraft coming in from Asia make a turn over the top of us on their initial approach. One of the cable TV channels matched up with the air traffic control frequencies. Every time the aircraft reached that turn point, they'd get a blast of interference and wouldn't be able to talk to the controllers.
This was one of those issues where the FCC/FAA did immediately get involved and showed up at our door. Radio direction finding was used, as well as shutting off different segments of the cable TV system to find the culprit. All done by a well meaning person trying to "fix it" themselves.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It can also cause ingress which will screw up the system for everybody else.

DaveH

I've been hearing video buzzing on the 1xx.75 MHz frequencies, as well as TV audio on
the 1xx.25 ones on just about every 6MHz channel over 136-174MHz for some time, and
it's not getting any better. This from a fixed location with base station antenna which pulls
it in more than portable/mobile antennas.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.