Strange signal on Hearne PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
A few days ago, I picked up some sort of digital signal on Hearne PD (156.240). It sounded sort of like a trunked system data channel and seemed to use a PL tone of 141.3. It had a "GAAAR-BEEP" sort of sound and stopped and started as if someone was transmitting something. I've never heard anything like this before. Does anyone know what this might be?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I didn't realize that. I probably would of if I had heard my typical band opening indicators, Houston Police and Houston Fire.

Markef

Robertson County SO and Hearne PD are now P25 digital. What you heard is the digital noise that is made when transmitting . This is not a ttunked system controller. Robertson County is updated on this site.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Robertson County SO and Hearne PD are now P25 digital. What you heard is the digital noise that is made when transmitting . This is not a ttunked system controller. Robertson County is updated on this site.

I knew that. However, P25 traffic wouldn't be caught by my scanner due to the PL tone being there. I would have to deactivate the PL in order for such traffic to come through, and, even then, my scanner would have automatically decoded it.

bwillcox

VHF propagation was quite good the evening and morning after the tornadic storms came through the D/FW area so there is no telling where the signal you heard came from.

I was hearing traffic on an amateur repeater in Buffalo Tx nearly full scale here while mobile Wednesday morning.

-b-

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
That reminds me of one such event that happened sometime last year. I recall that every NOAA Weather Radio channel I picked had a station on it. The farthest south? Brownsville. If memory serves me correctly, I also picked up Junction, Corsicana, and Midland among others. I also recall getting several different DPS stations as well. Some were so clear that it was as if the repeater were right next to my house. The clearest, if I recall correctly, was DPS Corpus Christi. I've heard several of these band openings over the years, the earliest I recall was in the days before I had a scanner and was playing around with a Wether Radio. That time, the farthest west I got was El Paso and the farthest north was Waco.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I can think of would be OTAR - anything else wouldn't carry a PL - but what you're describing sounds like analog encryption. Either way, I'm with the group on it being skip, either direct to your radio or through the Hearne PD repeater.

edit: Listen to the samples for OTAR and DES encryption on this page: http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I can think of would be OTAR - anything else wouldn't carry a PL - but what you're describing sounds like analog encryption. Either way, I'm with the group on it being skip, either direct to your radio or through the Hearne PD repeater.

edit: Listen to the samples for OTAR and DES encryption on this page: Digital Modes Samples

I guess you're probably right about that, except that I rarely pick up Hearne PD or anything else in Robertson County for some strange reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.