Strange!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampulman

While doing a tune search (PRO-106), it stopped on 135.0 and had a single audio tone which seemed different from a typical birdie.

Moving around the second floor, I would get between 1 - 5 bars. At some point, the audio tone would start to rise and fall in frequency like a siren.

Once, while watching the display, it flashed a CT tone, then disappeared. Today, it is flashing codes which are changing in value every few seconds.

The FCC database lists two licensees, Lockheed Martin in Palm Beach, FL and LA County, CA. Coincidentally, there is a Lockheed Martin Facility not far from me (Moorestown, NJ).

Site / Frequency / Market Search Results

When I step outside, the signal disappears, and walking around the property will not restore it. I placed the radio near my TVs, Phones, to see if the signal would be wiped out. It wasn't. Checked the electric meter to see if I had been chosen to have a smart meter. Same old meter.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks.

Amp

ecps92

TV, Cable Box, Wireless Router, Computer Modem, Monitor etc.??

Try turning of ALL the power to the residence first, then step by step enable each room, giving time for electronics to re-set and turn back on.

While doing a tune search (PRO-106), it stopped on 135.0 and had a single audio tone which seemed different from a typical birdie.

Moving around the second floor, I would get between 1 - 5 bars. At some point, the audio tone would start to rise and fall in frequency like a siren.

Once, while watching the display, it flashed a CT tone, then disappeared. Today, it is flashing codes which are changing in value every few seconds.

The FCC database lists two licensees, Lockheed Martin in Palm Beach, FL and LA County, CA. Coincidentally, there is a Lockheed Martin Facility not far from me (Moorestown, NJ).

Site / Frequency / Market Search Results

When I step outside, the signal disappears, and walking around the property will not restore it. I placed the radio near my TVs, Phones, to see if the signal would be wiped out. It wasn't. Checked the electric meter to see if I had been chosen to have a smart meter. Same old meter.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks.

Amp

K9WG

Could be a CATV leak signal. CATV headends insert signals into the system with tones and use leak detector receivers to monitor the system. These signals can be on just about any frequency.

nanZor

I had an old Direc-TV satellite box that put out a carrier on 135.0 mhz. Drove me nuts since they were everywhere, and one of my local towers was on that freq. It was so bad at times, that even pilots mentioned hearing it and nobody could track it down.

jjcsx

Same here

I get the same exact thing here in Lake Worth, FL. 135.0= a rising and falling siren-like tone, with a constant high-pitched squeal in the background. Coincidentally, I also have several DirecTV recievers, 4 total.

ampulman

I get the same exact thing here in Lake Worth, FL. 135.0= a rising and falling siren-like tone, with a constant high-pitched squeal in the background. Coincidentally, I also have several DirecTV recievers, 4 total.

Since the frequency is in the aircraft band, you may be hearing it in AM. Try using FM and see if you get the CT tones (especially rapidly changing ones).

Based on the feedback offered by others, I suspected a cable leak. Placing my (PRO-106) scanner next to my modem didn't negatively affect the audio tone. The downstream cable link from the STB (set top box) feeds an A-B switch, then to the TV. There seemed to be leakage from the switch, so I removed it and replaced the cable from the STB with a quad shielded cable but the signal remained as before.

This morning, I tried placing my scanner on top of the STB which caused a squeal when the radio was placed perpendicularly over the front of the box. Doing so to another box didn't seem to have an effect. So, I think I have my culprit.

jj, I think we can rule out a conspiracy theory, you living in Lake Worth, were Lockheed Martin, a licensee of that frequency, is also located:).

Amp

DickH

I had an old Direc-TV satellite box that put out a carrier on 135.0 mhz. Drove me nuts since they were everywhere, and one of my local towers was on that freq. It was so bad at times, that even pilots mentioned hearing it and nobody could track it down.

Nobody could track it down??? Then how do you know it was the Directv box?

nanZor

Nobody could track it down??? Then how do you know it was the Directv box?

It was one of the older ones made by RCA, circa 2000, in the shape of a silver wedge with a sloping top. Once I replaced it with a newer receiver, I could listen to 135 mhz again. The problem existed all around my neighborhood, and also close to the airport. As people upgraded these old SD receivers, the carriers are going away in and around the neighborhood, and most importantly, close to the airport.

The carrier would only go away when the receiver was totally unplugged from AC. I did have some luck by trying to shield it by placing it on tinfoil, and then folding a flap of tinfoil over the top, but that's not a pretty solution. :) I even used type 43 ferrites on the ac, rf, and video leads, and while it attenuated it, it was still a problem. I think proper grounding would have solved it.

While most of the energy came straight from the box, I suspect that common mode energy was present on the rf cable leading up to the lnb's on the roof.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uplink

Yes. 135.000 MHz is Whiteman Airports Tower freq. in Los Angeles, and those annoying carriers can be heard everywhere in the city! They drive me nuts, even the aircraft radios pick it up! Someone make it stop! :confused:

ampulman

Yes. 135.000 MHz is Whiteman Airports Tower freq. in Los Angeles, and those annoying carriers can be heard everywhere in the city! They drive me nuts, even the aircraft radios pick it up! Someone make it stop! :confused:

When you say carrier, I think of an always-on transmission. Tower frequency intermittent, no?

Thinking about it, might the 'strange' audio be a localizer or marker beacon? I get a lot of approach traffic to Philly Int'l over my house.

Amp

Amp

Uplink

When you say carrier, I think of an always-on transmission. Tower frequency intermittent, no?

Thinking about it, might the 'strange' audio be a localizer or marker beacon? I get a lot of approach traffic to Philly Int'l over my house.

Amp

Amp

135.000 MHz has a constant buzzing carrier. You can pick it up all over my house on a rubber duck, and on and off driving all over Los Angeles with a mobile radio. Localizers and marker beacons are not on this band.

Status
Not open for further replies.