Stream Live Feed Data to Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4SIA

I've been on RR for years now, mostly just listening with the occasional forum browsing. Love the site. Finally decided to be more active and provide some feeds and play around. I'm a web developer and love to tinker with anything electronic. I like to integrate and match things that aren't designed to go together. I recently took over upkeep of my volunteer fire department's website and have some plans.

The plan is below. It's long but I had to be detailed. :)

I've spent a few days in a row doing a lot of reading on what I want to do. It doesn't seem like a difficult concept but I'm having trouble finding the right tools to catch the data I want. I really don't see anything on this forum that directly discusses what I want to do. It's all bits and pieces so I'm going to explain and ask about it.

I want to create a page on the website that is a live view of all information I can gather related to what I'm scanning. In this case it's 3 repeaters used in a county for the 11 volunteer fire departments and the county EMA. This web page will of course include the live feed from RR that I've already put up and been playing with. Also on this page I want to display any other data I can possible grab and send to the website. The following are things I think I can capture:

-Log and Display of every tone-out (Motorola SC2 2 tone)
-Log and display of every transmission through these repeaters including
- Time stamp of transmission
- Length of transmission
- Signal strength of transmission
- DTMF code (Added to the end of every TX of every unit in the county. Unit/Truck Numbers. 4 digit)

With this data I can also compile and display additional stats and data such as number of times a single unit has been heard, number of transmissions, call numbers per department (tone-out) per week/month etc.

There are so many possibilities. I want to integrate this data into a single page on my department's website. I would be using AJAX/Javascript to constantly update and scroll the incoming data without the need to refresh the page.

So what is my problem? Simply capturing the items on the list above and logging them to a plain text file or csv. If it's in text and added to that text file as it happens I have all the rest figured out. I already have code in place to read the logs every second and upload new lines to a MySQL database on the web server.

I've downloaded and read about so many programs the last few days. I have DTMF Decoder running on my feed now. It does a decent job but constantly displays random characters in the log during voice transmission. I see a lot of promising software such as ARC-XT and PCR-Pro. Those go with specific scanners that I don't have. I don't mind buying them I just need to know what will capture all this. The descriptions of those software packages only say it does data logging. It won't say exactly what it logs or how fast etc.

As a temporary playground. Currently running a Pro-97 into a dedicated PC (Vista 32bit, SoundBlaster Card with Line-In) with a home made copper j-pole antenna. ScannerCast, DTMF Decoder, WinMDCD

So in short I need knowledgeable users here to give me some feedback on the idea, along with what software/scanner combination I am going to need to do it. I will save and purchase whatever I need to make this work. Let me know what you think of the idea, and if possible help deciding what I need to make it happen.

Thanks so much RR,
- Russell KI4SIA

KI4SIA

Just an update... I haven't had much time to play with this recently. WinMCDC doesn't seem to work in any configuration I set up. The rest of the website is slowly coming along and I'm sure I'll return to playing with this when I have more of my content in place.

Still looking for some feedback. Thanks, KI4SIA

KI4SIA

Hi

Im looking to do the same thing on University of Iowa EMS Student Interest Organization - Homepage

I want to display the Scanner Log, basically what times there was a Fire Dispatch etc on the website live.

Still no idea how to do that?

Just grabbing a page-out time shouldn't be too hard. It just gets complicated if you want to list what the call was or additional information.

I'm doing it in a sort of messy way. The data such as page-out and time is getting saved in real time to a text file, then I have a background script I've written myself that just reads the text file and inserts what it finds into a database that a website can grab and display. Probably not the best way to do it but the simplest I know how to do.

I haven't made much progress yet. Still dealing with how to get the information into the text file. The rest is much easier.

- Russell KI4SIA

divemedicdrb

Text on Site

That's interesting... I imagine your site isn't loading the info live though? Like you would need to refresh the page to see the latest Pages etc?

Is your site built with HTML or a CMS like Joomla or some other?

KI4SIA

That's interesting... I imagine your site isn't loading the info live though? Like you would need to refresh the page to see the latest Pages etc?

Is your site built with HTML or a CMS like Joomla or some other?

The site I'm feeding the information to is Joomla. I'm just going to include custom AJAX and javascript so that no page refresh is needed.

The hardest part is still just getting that initial information from the scanner to a code-readable source like a text file or spreadsheet. Or even better... directly into a web server database so that it can be displayed to a page.

It's all very possible. Just have to find the right tool. =)

- Russell KI4SIA

elizas

Store data temporarily on your page and finally insert it into database

Sometimes we want to do temporary operations on our data on the page and finally store it into database for this we can use following procedure :

1) Create a temporary table treating function
2) Create a session variable on page load :

Session["dtAccessorialCharges"] = CreateTemptable();

3) Fill default values into session variable :
4) Now if you want you can do operations on this datatable
5) And finally you can save it like :
This code is very useful when you are doing insert and delete operations on a grid frequently and at the end you want to save only active rows into your database

Store data temporarily on your page and finally insert it into database

talkpair

I like to integrate and match things that aren't designed to go together.

Although I lack the skill to pursue my idea, it doesn't stop me from pondering.

I thought it would be different to stream single channel receiver audio into an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) server using a network of single channel radios.

Each individual radio would have it's own IRC channel on the server, and stream ONLY when carrier is detected.

Specialized clients could be developed to allow listeners to join only channels of interest. Traffic that would normally be lost by a conventional scanner due to activity on another channel, could be queued or delayed so that nothing is missed.....It is merely time-shifted by the client.

Listeners could pick their own priority channels, or rank all channels in order of importance.
New features not found on today's scanners could be implemented as well........Such as a "One time lockout"......for those times when there is a stuck transmitter.....or "Lockout for 5 minutes"

Other preferences, such as "scan delay time" could chosen by the listener, instead of the stream provider.

Further, listeners joining quiet or few channels would use less bandwidth during the silent intervals, since only traffic associated with PING/PONG of the IRC service would occur during quiet times.
Feed providers could also benefit by NOT streaming to a channel if NO listeners have joined the channel.

The traditional text "chat" function that the IRC server was intended, could also be utilized. For example, during special events, such as severe weather, to let end users exchange ideas, or even a voice chat .....some sort of 'push to talk' over IRC......

Status
Not open for further replies.