Streaming an AM/FM Tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

qrplife

Greetings radio people.

I have a remotely controllable AM/FM broadcast band tuner which I stream to internet for my own private use, although the stream is not protected in any way. I put up the stream so that I could listen to my radio at home when I am not at home. This radio is located in California, United States, and it's not permanently set on any particular broadcast channel.

My questions are:

Is anybody else doing this?

What are the legal ramifications of making this stream available via a stream aggregator such as broadcastify?

Is there a more appropriate part of these forums for discussing this kind of setup?

Cheers.

n5ims

Is anybody else doing this?
Yes, but many have been shut down for various reasons, mostly due to needing to pay royalties for the music, commercials, and/or other things broadcast from the radio station you're streaming. You may also have issues with the radio station you're streaming if they discover that their content is being streamed without permission. The DCMA also has several restrictions to streaming that carry huge fines if violated.

What are the legal ramifications of making this stream available via a stream aggregator such as broadcastify?
Yes, but they are the same as doing it yourself. The only difference is that using an aggregator will increase the chance of your stream being noticed and start the legal process sooner. Many of them will not touch streaming of the type you desire specifically because of the legal issues that they would be included in (for example, Broacastify prohibits that type of streaming).

From the Broadcastify Feed Provider Terms of Service (Feed Provider Terms of Service - The RadioReference Wiki) ...
Feed providers agree to not broadcast any commercial service broadcast (FM/AM/TV etc)
Feed providers agree to not broadcast music or talk show of any kind (commercial or non-commercial)
Feed providers agree to not broadcast DJ or other type of similar activity (commercial or non-commercial)

On the plus side, several that do allow it will make sure that your legal base is covered by properly licensing the material and paying the copyright fees necessary to do so (and, of course, pass those fees on to you, the streamer).

Nearly all radio stations do not license their material for streaming (even by themselves) due to the added expense. Yes, it is true that several stations do have streams on the internet, but that's because they have large companies handle that stream for them that do the licensing required to keep them legal.

Is there a more appropriate part of these forums for discussing this kind of setup?
An internet search should help you find a few. While many are geared for folks that want to stream their own internet radio station, they may allow questions from folks that simply stream existing station's material.

While I understand that your intentions are to have your stream for your personal use, this won't be much of a defense if your stream is noticed by the station you're rebroadcasting or the various companies that handle copyrights for music and other material broadcast by that station (ASCAP, BMI, etc.). They all have large legal departments and are happy to search out violators and slap lawsuits with large settlements attached. Just so you know, they're happy to call companies and make requests that will have them put on hold to check for violations of their music-on-hold policies. They also visit stores, both large and small, to listen for background music and verify that the necessary fees are being paid.

n0nhp

There are many tuners world wide that can tune the broadcast bands, all open to the public. https://www.globaltuners.com/
I used to supply an Icom IC-PCR1000 until some users abused their privileges and I shut it down.
The site has a large forum available and would probably be happy to discuss your concerns.

Bruce

qrplife

Thanks N5IMS and N0NHP for the replies. Sounds like it's best to keep my private stream in the dark. Maybe even erect a barrier to prevent casual discovery and listening.

I'll find something else to share with the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.