streaming appliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davemcfarland

Does anyone make a plug and pray appliance that would work for streaming.. I dont want to tinker anymore and play with a pc ... which always seems to be need tweaking.. I want a proven, working solution.. set it and forget it..

Dave

DC31

Feed Provider
The raspberry pi is about as close to that as you are going to get. Get a copy of my card image, plug your login credentials in, then fire it up. If you want to set up your own, there is another thread on "Scanner feed using a raspberry pi" in Live Audio Admin. The setup can take a lot of patience, you sound like you might be short on this? I have two pi's that have run feeds for six months now without a tweak. Three things have caused the feed to go down: Comcast service down, RR server down, and one unknown on one of the feeds last week. They have really been set and forget. It is a simple power cycle to reboot.

What kind of "tweaks" has your desktop required? Unless you want to learn a new operating system (Linux) and programming language (Python) you won't be making any tweaks to the pi.

davemcfarland

I appreciate the reply

I am more short on time than patience, but yes maybe I have too many hobbies, and would like to not work on my own equipment since I sort of do it for work too. (Scada radios and remote data collection along with cisco stuff)

I am one of those guys where work has all but ruined this hobby and I am trying to salvage it by just enjoying what I have and not always trying to improve it..

I will be looking forward to getting one of your setups.. I will be in touch.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I too use a RasPi, but my configuration is far from plug and play. I was in the same boat, looking for an appliance to use and realized I had the RasPi sitting on the shelf doing nothing. So I got a cheap ($9) usb wifi adaptor, installed the latest build of Raspian then muddled my way thru installing VLC so it would fire up and connect to my feed when the Pi boots up. Took a lot of tinkering, but it works pretty well. I'm just using a small usb powered speaker plugged directly into the Pi for audio. I can also SSH into the box with my phone or PC if I need to access anything.

Tweekerbob

You can try the Barix Instreamer as a standalone, east to configure solution. It's a bit pricey, but it you want to spend less money, you'll have to spend more time and patience on your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.