streaming audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFargo

Any suggestions on what software to use to put streaming audio onto the net? I don't need anything fancy, just to be able to monitor my home scanner via net from the office or on the road in a motel, etc.

k8tmk

I'd be very careful about doing this. FCC regulations protect most communications (excluding commercial broadcast and amateur radio) in what is called the "secrecy rule." In short, it states that you cannot reveal the content of these conversations to another person, although that person may also hear the conversation. In my opinion, steaming or rebroadcasting in any way is illegal.

Although I know you will get a lot of other positive responses, and I'm opening myself up to being "flamed." I would suggest you check with an honest-to-goodness lawyer (is that an oxymoron?) to find out for sure.

Randy

JoeFargo

Only for me

I'm not interested in sharing with anyone, only for my own edification. I simply want to listen to my own digital scanner from a remote location. Ideally I'd have access password protected or in some other way be sure that no one else has access to the audio stream. Eventually I'll purchase more digital scanners, but for now, I only have one.

TedTed

JoeFargo said:
Any suggestions on what software to use to put streaming audio onto the net? I don't need anything fancy, just to be able to monitor my home scanner via net from the office or on the road in a motel, etc.

Check out ARC-Eazystream @ www.butel.com

TT

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
The FCC really couldn't care what you stream, as long as you're not decrypting anything or streaming phone conversations, etc. (stuff that's already illegal to scan anyway).

Right now, as I type this, there are 150 scanner streams listed in the directory at Shoutcast.com, and that's just the ones where the stream owner bothered to change the Genre setting on their Winamp DSP plugin (the thing you need to add to Winamp so it will send to a Shoutcast server).

You can set up a Shoutcast stream but make it non-public, though, so it will never be in the Shoutcast.com directory, as long as you have a static IP or subscribe to dyndns or a similar service...I used to set up a non-public stream years ago when I worked night shift, so I could listen to baseball games inside the office, because AM signals just wouldn't penetrate to our shop...I'm sure Major League Baseball would have had a cow if the stream was made public, especially now since they charge people to listen to play-by-play on their web site...but a scanner feed really isn't on anyone's radar...

Status
Not open for further replies.