streaming of local police service scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpocket258

i live in london, on, canada... and i would love to get my hometown police service streamed online. if there is anyone out there who can let me know if there will be (or already is) a streaming feed

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
They do have some un-encrypted analog talkgroups, but you'll very rarely hear them used. I think I've heard London Police once during the time I lived there, that was only because they were patched with the 142.770 OPC common channel.

The other problem here in Canada is the Radiocommunication Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. R-2)

(2) Except as prescribed, no person shall intercept and make use of, or intercept and divulge, any radiocommunication, except as permitted by the originator of the communication or the person intended by the originator of the communication to receive it.

People can put a feed online, but it is taking a risk if they do not get permission to do so first.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
The other problem here in Canada is the Radiocommunication Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. R-2)

(2) Except as prescribed, no person shall intercept and make use of, or intercept and divulge, any radiocommunication, except as permitted by the originator of the communication or the person intended by the originator of the communication to receive it.

People can put a feed online, but it is taking a risk if they do not get permission to do so first.

Oh bloody hell give it a rest already.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
1 - So as I read this ALL streaming in Canada would be unlawful, as well as incident paging.
2 - "Except as prescribed" What are the exceptions?
3 - If someone in the US was able to monitor a system in Canada, they could stream it and this law would not apply. I don't know how far London is from the US border.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Keeping in mind that so far nobody has presented their law credentials.

I wouldn't trust any of the legal opinions presented by anybody on an internet site.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.534 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

MikeOxlong said:
Keeping in mind that so far nobody has presented their law credentials.

I wouldn't trust any of the legal opinions presented by anybody on an internet site.

How about reading and interpert that Act itself?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I don't understand your question.

Are you suggesting that I interpret the Act myself?

I'll leave legal interpretations to lawyers.

We could argue incessantly about the meaning of the word "divulge" but I know I'm not a lawyer and I doubt you're one.

You can state your opinion all over the internet but in a court of law where it really matters it would have zero value.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.534 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Then interpret '...no person shall intercept and make use of, or intercept and divulge, any radio communication, except as PERMITTED BY THE ORIGINATOR (emphsis added) of the communication or the person intended by the originator of the communication to receive it. ' that in MY OPINION covers streaming on the net due to having to INTERCEPT and MAKE USE OF in order to stream said comms onto the 'net.

I for one am not going to stream a LEA with out their permission and open my self up to the possibly of ending up in court and having to defend what I believe would be a breach of the Act. Have atter if you want I will save my dough for more gear rather waste it on a lawyer defending myself by pissing a LEA off.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
If you aren't going to stream, then spend your time doing something other than trying to convince others to stream.

You can also do it anonymously, and then never have to worry since Canada authorities would have to pursue RadioReference in the US who would need to be forced to release that information. AKA - won't even happen.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

In adition if he can secure permission then this is a moot point btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.