Streaming via cell data at remote site

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I plan to move one of my radio feeds to a tower site nearby (thanks to a local amateur radio club), the site is 100ft higher than the location at my residence, so hopefully it will increase coverage (railroad simplex communications) without as much interference of terrain. The plan is to use a cell phone hotspot (as installing internet at the site is quite costly) and being up in the air, service should not be a problem. With concerns from data usage aside (we will more than likely be migrating to the unlimited data plan that was just released) would there be an issue streaming to RR/Broadcastify using the cellular hotspot? I just want to make sure there won't be any inherent issues before I go through with it. Eventually if all goes well I may partner with the ham club and try to have basic internet installed at the site.

KB0VWG

Iceman977h

Sounds like it should work fine for that, how far is your residence or where it is being broadcast ed now compared to the tower site? If it was close enough you might be able to share your home internet with the site by using some Ubiquiti linked radios.

kb0vwg

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Exactly, Ubiquiti radios are cheap, easy to offset the cost of the hotspot plus the unlimited data plan. You'll need to have a line of site shot between the tower site and a location with an internet connection.

Might be worth talking to the amateur radio club and see if they want to split the cost. You'd get your internet connection, they'd have a useful tool at their tower site. Could be used for security monitoring, camera, equipment control, internet linked repeater, etc.
If your home doesn't have a line of site shot, maybe someone in the amateur club does.

I think we used to buy the Ubiquiti radios for $99 each.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I'm looking into either the Nanobeam or possibly the Powerbeam if I can confirm that I have LOS to the tower site, I have to look a bit more and see if I do or not from the roof of the house. Otherwise combined with an unlimited data plan (if we migrate to it) there shouldn't be any issues with cellular access. I will update as I go along, but I think I'll look at a couple Nanobeams soon.

KB0VWG

Iceman

I have setup several nano loco's point to point and point to point to access point, also setup several rv parks with WiFi using them and they work great. I have had a couple of the Ubuguiti rockets up in operation for 5 years with no issues.All I do is just update the firmware and do a reboot every once in a while and thats it.
kb0vwg

Status
Not open for further replies.