Streator officials say police radios hardly work inside the school's walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9JLR

I saw this article come across The Times newspaper's feed this afternoon, and appears to be a new issue since the city moved to STARCOM last year when Livingston County took over dispatch operations for Streator PD.

School: Police can't communicate inside
Streator High School officials say police radios hardly work inside the school's walls, a problem they fear could jeopardize the safety of officers, students and staff.

School: Police can't communicate inside | Local | mywebtimes.com

nick223

Feed Provider
Chicago Fire and Police i believe had the same issue when they switch to digital inside their high rises and bigger buildings. I believe they put repeaters inside the buildings maybe streator needs to put a repeater inside the school

tsmooth

Chicago Fire and Police i believe had the same issue when they switch to digital inside their high rises and bigger buildings. I believe they put repeaters inside the buildings maybe streator needs to put a repeater inside the school
You're Right

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

K9JLR

If it's still in the same location as it was when I lived out that way, the actual location of the nearest STARCOM site (site 142) is the IDOT tower on IL route 18, about 4 miles east of Streator on an old glacial moraine, just west of the Kernan blacktop. It doesn't seem to have the exact actual coordinate plotted on the database on the map image, however, nor is it specified on the ULS license when I checked.

Given that they're using 700 MHz digital communications, it doesn't surprise me, and I've heard them having TX/RX issues with LIVCOM in other areas, including down in Marilla Park on the city's far northeast side. I'm assuming there must not be a mobile relay system with their radios, since this seems to strictly be an issue with portable usage inside of SHS.

SCPD

QRT
This problem is solved easily if someone designing the system knows what they are doing and filling known common areas which have voids or testing prior to full release in buildout.

Most of the time it is a well it works well outside and most areas so we won't address that issue since it's never been a issue before plus wow we can save some monies rather then spend it. In end you'll just spend the money so might as well do it right when it's built out.

TGP

Premium Subscriber
Typical problem with Digital.

Leaves on trees, hills, buildings, tunnels, all effect reception.
Just like loosing your cell connection inside a building.

But just ask them and they will tell how Great the system is.
Never had those problems with analog systems just ran out
Of frequencies.
Tom

mws72

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly Motorola only had to guarantee 95% starcom coverage. That 5% is a large area. bi-directional amps are a pretty good to migrate coverage problems in bldgs.

jim202

I saw this article come across The Times newspaper's feed this afternoon, and appears to be a new issue since the city moved to STARCOM last year when Livingston County took over dispatch operations for Streator PD.

School: Police can't communicate inside
Streator High School officials say police radios hardly work inside the school's walls, a problem they fear could jeopardize the safety of officers, students and staff.

School: Police can't communicate inside | Local | mywebtimes.com

Sounds like an ideal situation to install a bi directional amplifier system inside the school. These systems work well in solving areas of buildings with limited or no coverage. They do need to be installed with care and the bi directional system designed by a knowledgeable person that knows the ropes.

It is here where the expertise of a good communications consultant comes into play to make sure that the school system gets what it needs, at the best possible price. This does not always happen if you just rely on the local radio shop or vendor to come in, do a tap dance, get paid and walk away.

usswood

Or maybe STARCOM needs to turn up the power on the STARCOM sites... most down-state sites only run at 25 watts! Indiana is upgrading to P25 and they left all their towers at 100 watts!

DJ11DLN

Or maybe STARCOM needs to turn up the power on the STARCOM sites... most down-state sites only run at 25 watts! Indiana is upgrading to P25 and they left all their towers at 100 watts!
That would probably be helpful but I doubt it will happen. IL can't afford to pay their electric (and other) bills as it is...

NC1

Typical problem with Digital.

Leaves on trees, hills, buildings, tunnels, all effect reception.
Just like loosing your cell connection inside a building.

But just ask them and they will tell how Great the system is.
Never had those problems with analog systems just ran out
Of frequencies.
Tom

There have been more problems with these new systems in the last 10 years, than we ever had in the last 5 decades combined.

It looks more like these communication companies believe they have a hammer, and every existing system they look at is a nail. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.